Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PMD660 will not power up - FIXED (thank you)  (Read 2909 times)

Offline AHappyHourHero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • "sharon, what the fuck is a Beiber?!?" -Ozzy
    • my recent recordings
PMD660 will not power up - FIXED (thank you)
« on: March 01, 2010, 09:34:43 PM »
A question for the experts:
I recently recorded a show without issue, but the next day could not get the unit to power on using batteries nor AC adapter.  I used several sets of freshly charged batteries, and also tested the AC adapter output voltage and all are fine.  Here is the interesting issue:
With batteries inserted, I can close the power on switch (wwhich will not turn the unit on) and THEN insert the AC adapter jack into the DC in connector, and the unit powers on.  I can remove the adapter at this point, and the unit remains powered from the batteries.  I do not understand this concept of "jump starting" the unit, and my limited knowledge of the inner workings would lead me to believe that there is a relay that is "hanging", and flopping with the introduction of external power.
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this issue, and if not, any recommendations on whether it is cost effective to have it repaired (it is not under manufacturers warranty), and if so, who to send it to?  Marantz, or to Busman or Oades?  I think both Busman Audio and Oades Brothers only service their units, and will only work on functional units not sold through them.  I could be wrong...  I have been wrong before, and will continue this trend for life.  :)
Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 07:58:10 PM by AHappyHourHero »
"Christopher, it's a thin line between taper and stalker" - Adam Terrell

Busman BSC1 (K11, K2, K3, K4) > PMD 660 (Busman mod)
Nakamichi CM-300 (non-mod) > MX-100/ART usb pre > (CP-1, CP-2, CP-4 guns) > Zoom h4n

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: PMD660 will not power up
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 11:30:08 PM »
Just a guess: 

The PMD660 is known to have problems with the spring clips that hold the battery cells in place.  The clips sag a little, making intermittant contact with the cells.  It's also true that some AA cells are marginally shorter, reducing the pressure of the metal clip on the cell.

One fix is to shim the spring clips with pieces cut from a thick paper business card, or something similar.  At least this solution will be simple to try!

Offline AHappyHourHero

• Taperssection Regular
    • my recent recordings
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 05:35:54 AM »
makes sense.  i am going to open the unit up to check all of the things that i can visually, and while i am there, i will take a serious look at what can be done in that area.
Man, do I appreciate the input.  I will let you know what I find today after work when i take a break from recorder surgery :)

Warm regards

Nakamichi CM-300 (non-mod) > MX-100/ART usb pre > (CP-1, CP-2, CP-4 guns) > Zoom h4n

Offline AHappyHourHero

• Taperssection Regular
    • my recent recordings
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 03:03:33 PM »
FIXED!

can you say CR2025...

lol, it appears it was the internal CMOS battery.  Doesn't make much sense for what i was experiencing, but it is up and running again, and for that i will simply push the "I believe" button.  It doesn't rule out a short, but while inside the bowels of the beast, I gave it a very thorough once over, and all seems fine, besides the well known headphone jack issue.  I just didn't have the heart to re-warm the soldering iron, and do it again...
Also tweaked the battery terminals for better contact, cleaned them, etc, and placed a few business cards into my pelican case for future on the spot repairs :)
Thanks for the response, and the assist.  I hope this post will save someone the stomach turning feeling of loosing a recorder for repair time and cost, simply for an internal battery swap.  I am an IT type, and happened to have a few CR2025's laying around the house, but I think Best Buy carries them for like $1.75.  I will add them to the little items in the bag for the road...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com