Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DAT > MacBook  (Read 2510 times)

Offline Gravesio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
DAT > MacBook
« on: March 08, 2010, 12:22:43 PM »
Hello All,

I did a search for this topic, but didn't find a real comprehensive answer.

I have a D8 and ton of DAT tapes that I'd like to convert onto my MacBook.

Any kind person out there that can explain to me what I need to get the music off the tapes and onto the computer?  Any help at all will be greatly appreciated as I'd like to be able to preserve some of these recordings.

Thanks in advance.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DAT > MacBook
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 02:49:23 PM »
I'd pick up an external Sony SDT-9000 DDS drive, a RATOC Firewire to SCSI adapter, and grab a DAT transfer app.

A good app is DATXtract:
http://pdicamillo.org/~peter/datxtract/

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 03:25:37 PM by H2O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 02:58:30 PM »
Does the D8 have a coax digi-out? (I never used one so I don't know).

If so, then one option is to get a converter for coax SPDIF > optical SPDIF and feed that into the macbook's optical in. Not all converters are bit-perfect, so if you consider this option, then look around here and see what people say about which ones.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 10:36:52 PM »

If so, then one option is to get a converter for coax SPDIF > optical SPDIF and feed that into the macbook's optical in. Not all converters are bit-perfect, so if you consider this option, then look around here and see what people say about which ones.

Find a Sony 7-pin > toslink I/O (Sony POC-DA12:  7-pin plug on one end and two Toslink fiber optic plugs on the other; one is input and the other is output).   Put a female toslink > male 1/8" optical adapter on the Toslink output, and plug into your 1/8" female optical IN on yer macbook.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 10:45:49 PM »

Find a Sony 7-pin > toslink I/O (Sony POC-DA12:  7-pin plug on one end and two Toslink fiber optic plugs on the other; one is input and the other is output).   Put a female toslink > male 1/8" optical adapter on the Toslink output, and plug into your 1/8" female optical IN on yer macbook.

hook ftw. I'd forgotten about that whole 7pin proprietary thingy.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 10:57:14 PM »

They're flimsy, but they work....!

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Gravesio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 03:59:53 PM »
Thanks for the help.  I have the old Oade Bros. 7-pin. 
I am wondering if I need any sort of external sound card, or if the info from capnhook is the best way to go.

Thanks again for all the info.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 06:35:14 PM »

Digi is digi........this from Apple 13" Macbook specs:

Optical digital audio input is S/PDIF format and uses a standard Toslink cable with a Toslink mini-plug adapter, accepting up to 24-bit stereo and 44.1-96kHz sampling rate.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 10:37:01 PM »

Digi is digi........this from Apple 13" Macbook specs:

Optical digital audio input is S/PDIF format and uses a standard Toslink cable with a Toslink mini-plug adapter, accepting up to 24-bit stereo and 44.1-96kHz sampling rate.

may or may not be bitperfect, but it is digi-in which is a step up from the alternative.

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 08:36:40 AM »
not sure if all macs are created equal in this regard, but I remeber reading they were bit perfect.
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 12:56:56 PM »
not sure if all macs are created equal in this regard, but I remeber reading they were bit perfect.

oo, interesting. I guess it's testable, I haven't tried though.

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 01:39:34 PM »

I think they are bit perfect up to the 24/96 realm.  I'll try to hunt down the reference.  I guess one note is that you can sync to external clock or internal.  Internal is the only choice for higher bit rates.  Also, G5s recognized 32khz stuff, the Intel Macs do not.

keytohwy

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com