Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: FM Receiver?  (Read 3789 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
FM Receiver?
« on: September 01, 2010, 05:38:11 PM »
I am attending an event where a bunch of the show will be broadcast via FM onsite.  I'm thinking about trying to get some kind of simple FM receiver that I can rig up in my room plugged into an M10...

Any idea of something that is (a) inexpensive, (b) relatively portable and (c) sounds good?
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: FM Receiver?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 05:47:03 PM »

not sure what you mean by "inexpensive" or "relatively portable", but the grundig gs350dl gets good reception, runs on batteries(and wallwart), and has stereo RCA out jacks...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-r3NZDDPkG3O/p_710GS350DL/Grundig-GS350DL.html
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 05:53:21 PM »
My iRiver hp-120 has an FM receiver. Maybe someone local would lend you one?
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 06:28:13 PM »
got an old walkman with FM reception or anything similar laying around? Would be real easy to just run from the headphone jack into your recorder...
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 07:12:59 PM »
My iRiver hp-120 has an FM receiver. Maybe someone local would lend you one?

I recommend this as well. you will need a pair of headphones plugged in since it acts as the antenna.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline bucsab12

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 10:07:16 PM »
I am also looking for a small FM receiver with RCA output. I cam across this radio while looking through the web:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XDRF1HD-HD-Radio-Tuner/dp/B00168Q248/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1283477197&sr=8-1

I wanted to know what will I need to buy other than the radio so I'll be able to listen to music and record what's playing (through RCA out)?

Do I have to buy a receiver to connect the radio to?

Thanks in advance

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 10:15:41 PM »
i've been wondering the question for a while as well - many of the festivals broadcast an in-house FM signal and I've always used an old FM Walkman I have and run out of the headphone jack into my SBM-1, but often the reception is not perfect and I've wondered what others would suggest that would be a higher end approach to getting a good signal on a battery-powered device with line outs. 
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline mloewen

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 12:19:04 PM »
I used my old Sony Sport cassette boom box (the yellow ones) to record The Grateful Dead at Telluride . they broadcast it on Koto fm.

Offline bucsab12

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 07:02:37 PM »
Can anybody tell me if I record through the headphones jack using a stereo to stereo cable, will the quality be as good as connecting the recorder to the radio using a RCA to stereo cable?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for a radio that has an RCA connection and has good reception other than the Grundig one?

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 08:54:56 PM »
Can anybody tell me if I record through the headphones jack using a stereo to stereo cable, will the quality be as good as connecting the recorder to the radio using a RCA to stereo cable?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for a radio that has an RCA connection and has good reception other than the Grundig one?

again, I fully support and recommend the hp 120. it records directly to disc so there's no need for cable other than a pair of headphones to act as the antenna.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline bucsab12

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 08:39:29 AM »

again, I fully support and recommend the hp 120. it records directly to disc so there's no need for cable other than a pair of headphones to act as the antenna.

Thanks Sean for the response. I only intend to record from my house when there are shows that are broadcast on the radio. If I had the hp 120 it could have been a great solution but I don't and I don't know anyone in my area that owns one.

I would like to find a radio, it doesn't have to be real small but not too big either. I used to own a Sony receiver that had a tuner built into it so it could pick up radio signals but it broke down.

I would like to find something that could do the same job but only smaller than a receiver because my current apartment is tiny.

Thanks again for the help.

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 09:30:06 AM »
RAido Shack used to sell small tuners, that were only tuners that had RCA outputs.  Maybe Ebay or local craigslist for an old cheap tuner.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline anonymous_user

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 02:04:21 PM »
You could probably find a decent PC FM tuner for $15-20 if you looked around. I've used a PC FM tuner before and with good results. They often come with their own antenna which can be better than you'll get from some stereos or probably most radios or boomboxes. I've only used them in the form of TV tuner PCI cards, but I'm sure they have decent USB ones as well that are only for FM.

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 04:58:14 PM »
You could probably find a decent PC FM tuner for $15-20 if you looked around.

What he said.
Here's one for ya. Griffin Radio Shark, $18 incl shipping:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250627185642

PC based solutions have the advantage that you can schedule multiple recordings and even switch channels if necessary, without being present. Combine this with Total Recorder or Audacity and you're set...
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline bucsab12

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 07:37:13 PM »
Thank you huys for all the suggestions. I will look into it...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com