Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Audio Technica headset mics just released...possible stealth usage?  (Read 4296 times)

Offline 12milluz

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/news/e5be7c35d308057d/index.html

They are smaller versions of the old AT headset I regularly use at my local theatre and school. You can buy them terminating in mini xlr. What do you guys think? A possible binaural setup?
Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: New Audio Technica headset mics just released...possible stealth usage?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 07:20:05 PM »

They are smaller versions of the old AT headset I regularly use at my local theatre and school. You can buy them terminating in mini xlr. What do you guys think? A possible binaural setup?
These would be excellent for stealth.  I like the idea (in the writeup) using them for violin pickup.  The crowd hears what you hear!  They would also be great for ambient recording, or even interviews (put one on each person's ear).

Price is too high, though.  The mic to beat right now is the Countryman B6 (0.1" diamter, XLR connector, approx $300USD each).  Let's see what the street price is.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline 12milluz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 08:16:37 PM »

These would be excellent for stealth.  I like the idea (in the writeup) using them for violin pickup.  The crowd hears what you hear!  They would also be great for ambient recording, or even interviews (put one on each person's ear).

Price is too high, though.  The mic to beat right now is the Countryman B6 (0.1" diamter, XLR connector, approx $300USD each).  Let's see what the street price is.

Richard
I figured price would be the biggest issue. I know Audio Technica has a warehouse sale in December (here in Ohio; I go every year) and they sold their regular model headset mics for about 50% off retail in prior years. So I'll see if I can snatch a good price on a pair of these. (They also sells other AT stuff CHEAP ie I found an AT825 last year for I wanna say $75-100).

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 10:18:11 PM »

Richard
I figured price would be the biggest issue. I know Audio Technica has a warehouse sale in December (here in Ohio; I go every year) and they sold their regular model headset mics for about 50% off retail in prior years. So I'll see if I can snatch a good price on a pair of these. (They also sells other AT stuff CHEAP ie I found an AT825 last year for I wanna say $75-100).

I mean to go to that sale every year, but something always mess me up.

Offline 12milluz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 10:34:05 PM »

Richard

I mean to go to that sale every year, but something always mess me up.
It is definitely worth going and sooner than later. Everything is limited and the good deals go FAST. Some of the stuff is about what the same price as you could find on sale at say Guitar Center but a lot of the open box/discountinued/display models go for CHEAP!

Offline nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Cleveland,USA
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 03:53:36 PM »
when is this factory sale..?
ATu853 (c/o)
Denecke PS-2
Sony MZ-M100 (x2)
Sony PCM M-10
Ixxx XX-X
Ixxx XX-X

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46018790@N03/sets/

Offline 12milluz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 04:15:55 PM »
From an AT email: "The dates have been fixed at DEC. 10th. 10:00AM to 7:00PM and DEC. 11th 9:00AM to 1:00PM." It is at their main office in Stow, Ohio

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 07:45:12 PM »
From an AT email: "The dates have been fixed at DEC. 10th. 10:00AM to 7:00PM and DEC. 11th 9:00AM to 1:00PM." It is at their main office in Stow, Ohio

Is that on Hudson, just off Route 8?  I think I remember driving by that place and, at the time, having had no idea that AT had an office in the area.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline 12milluz

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 09:58:21 PM »

Is that on Hudson, just off Route 8?  I think I remember driving by that place and, at the time, having had no idea that AT had an office in the area.
Honestly, I don't remember :-[ but I know the building is kind of on a corner and it looks just like an office building with little markings. Last year, they had a sign out front advertising the sale.

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 11:00:55 PM »
Hudson drive.

Offline nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Cleveland,USA
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 11:11:01 PM »
I believe the Stow office is their main US office... I'm gonna have to hit this sale up I think..see if I can grab some mini omnis..maybe some extra mic clips...shit like that. I hear Raphael is making breakfast that morning...???
ATu853 (c/o)
Denecke PS-2
Sony MZ-M100 (x2)
Sony PCM M-10
Ixxx XX-X
Ixxx XX-X

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46018790@N03/sets/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.126 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com