Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Seriously considering buying a new pair of mics...  (Read 6037 times)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Re:Seriously considering buying a new pair of mics...
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2004, 07:31:45 PM »
why would you want a ps-2?  You already have a power supply (from the battery box).

Maybe you are thinking of the AD-20?  That could work, I used a similar rig with OK results.  you'd need attenuators to bring the signal down to avoid "overload" on the pre.  Look something like, SP mics > BB > attenuators > AD-20 > M1

wait, I have to go to class and I see you already have a pre on your battery box.  I still recommend upgrading the mics first.  That's will provide the biggest differnce.  more later

Ok, i'm kinda interested in upgraded all my parts, but yeah, i really want to start with the mics.  Hmmm...if i ever hit the lotto, dpa here i come!   ;D

Seriously, i'm still looking for that killer stealth mic that will beat the pants off of the SP's.  Card's or Hypers of course.  
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2004, 08:10:59 PM »
I think the DPAs are over hyped for stealth.  When they work, they work well, don't get me wrong.  But bass can be an issue.  Also, there are various people on this site that have moved on or are looking to move on from DPAs.  I only know of 3 people here whom still use them.  One that is looking to "downgrade" to AT853Rx, and another who would prefer to have an interchangable active setup.  The problem is the huge price gap between "low-end" stealth mics and active/jklab setups.  DPA, and now audix 12XX, are the only options in between, both fixed cap.

if you hit the lotto, there are much better options than the DPAs, imnsho

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2004, 08:14:42 PM »
I think the DPAs are over hyped for stealth.  When they work, they work well, don't get me wrong.  But bass can be an issue.  Also, there are various people on this site that have moved on or are looking to move on from DPAs.  I only know of 3 people here whom still use them.  One that is looking to "downgrade" to AT853Rx, and another who would prefer to have an interchangable active setup.  The problem is the huge price gap between "low-end" stealth mics and active/jklab setups.  DPA, and now audix 12XX, are the only options in between, both fixed cap.

if you hit the lotto, there are much better options than the DPAs, imnsho

Damn...i was getting the feeling that there was quite a gap between low end stealth and high end stealth mics.  Maybe i should try those at853Rx mics after all.  
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2004, 05:15:38 AM »
eh, don't jump into it
give various rigs a listen.  See what you really dig.  I'm just a shitty taper with some not so humble opinions ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com