Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland R-44: Getting 4-tracks on to your computer  (Read 4203 times)

Offline superreggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Roland R-44: Getting 4-tracks on to your computer
« on: January 26, 2012, 10:58:20 AM »
Strange. I record two tracks into the R-44, and when I connect to a mac, I see a nice little folder with two wav files. When I go four tracks, all I see is one wav file. Yet from within the R-44 I can still independantly adjust the level of each track, so I know the data is there somewhere. Roland has no support. Nothing in the manual. Can't even find an answer online. Surely someone else has had this problem, and it's something so totally obvious, I'll look like I shaved off half my moustache, right?

Offline Jema

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Roland R-44: Getting 4-tracks on to your computer
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
I use an R-4 Pro, which is very similar, and what you may have done is to choose a four channel interleaved file, or polywav, which contains all four channels in one file (just like a stereofile but with four channels). This is an option in the recording setup menu, when you choose how many channels you want to record (mono*4 for separate in a folder, or 4-1 for a polywav). Some programs might have a problem playing/importing this, but most DAWs should take it.

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 09:10:41 PM »
There is an app on the fostex site that will divide the single track into 4 mono tracks. Also sound devices wave agent is available on their
site. Both are free. There are also some paid apps. Look for bwf converter. If recording 4 channel on the r-44 there are menu options for
4 mono tracks, 2 stereo tracks or 1 four channel track but not at high sample rates.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 09:43:19 PM »
I use an R-4 Pro, which is very similar, and what you may have done is to choose a four channel interleaved file, or polywav, which contains all four channels in one file (just like a stereofile but with four channels). This is an option in the recording setup menu, when you choose how many channels you want to record (mono*4 for separate in a folder, or 4-1 for a polywav). Some programs might have a problem playing/importing this, but most DAWs should take it.

This. Record in "Stereo X 2" and then you will get 2 stereo files.  That is generally what you want.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 10:37:48 PM »
Another consideration is 2GB file slits happen twice as often when writing a single 4 chanel file instead of stereo files.. and twice as often writing stereo files as writing mono files.  Sometimes I'll choose mono files over stereo files to double my  recording time per file and avoid a split.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Jema

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 05:37:08 PM »
On the R-4, I actually prefer to record 4 tracks in a single file (or stereo if I only use two tracks), since if you record several tracks in mono they will all go into a folder where the folder gets an individual name, but the files themselves are just called 1, 2 etc. This can become a real bother if you handle several takes at once in a Daw, since you may have any number of tracks just called "1". Creating a single file prevents this.

As was mentioned, it does limit the size though.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 07:01:47 AM »
On the R-4, I actually prefer to record 4 tracks in a single file (or stereo if I only use two tracks), since if you record several tracks in mono they will all go into a folder where the folder gets an individual name, but the files themselves are just called 1, 2 etc. This can become a real bother if you handle several takes at once in a Daw, since you may have any number of tracks just called "1". Creating a single file prevents this.

As was mentioned, it does limit the size though.
I don't like that naming at all. When I get 4-channel files from the R44, I rename them immediately. I use the folder name and then append -1 and -2 for the WAV files.

for instance, the original names:
folder:
111014235101.pjt
files:
1.wav
2.wav

My way:
111014235101.pjt

111014235101-1.wav
111014235101-2.wav
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Jema

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 12:59:20 PM »
I don't like that naming at all. When I get 4-channel files from the R44, I rename them immediately. I use the folder name and then append -1 and -2 for the WAV files.

for instance, the original names:
folder:
111014235101.pjt
files:
1.wav
2.wav

My way:
111014235101.pjt

111014235101-1.wav
111014235101-2.wav

I agree it's pretty bad, and I'll definately start doing that too.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com