Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need Schoeps advice  (Read 7645 times)

LCY

• Trade Count: (0)
Need Schoeps advice
« on: March 30, 2004, 07:31:52 PM »
Need quick advice on some Schoeps. I'll be purchasing before price increase on 4/1. Thinking of 4V's. Regular bodies or XT? I do section and FOB, mostly medium to smaller sized venues. My section taping is usually the lawn at an outdoor venue and I stay away from large indoor arenas. Using a V3. Thanks for any advice.
LCY

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Need Schoeps advice
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 07:49:42 PM »
some people tend to lean towards the other side of the cardiod spectrum for outdoors, that is, they go with subcards or omnis, but I don't own schoeps and have no personal experience.

and you s/n is very similar to kcy :hmmm:

KC5

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 07:52:20 PM »
Need quick advice on some Schoeps. I'll be purchasing before price increase on 4/1. Thinking of 4V's. Regular bodies or XT? I do section and FOB, mostly medium to smaller sized venues. My section taping is usually the lawn at an outdoor venue and I stay away from large indoor arenas. Using a V3. Thanks for any advice.
LCY

+t for considerin' the best mics out there ;D  the xt's are for those who wish to record higher frequencies--ie. 40kHz.  schoeps doesn't mention the 4v's as capable of 40kHz, if that's something you're considering.

LCY

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 08:08:15 PM »
Good. I wasn't aware of 4V's not coping with the XT's. And to reply to the other post, I do intend on running omni's outdoors, but down the road a bit.

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 08:16:51 PM »
i'll start out by saying i've never run schoeps, but if i was going to get schoeps with just one set of caps i'd definately go with the mk41 cap.  i think they're the most versatile of the schoeps caps and if you want to invest in another set of caps later you could add a set of mk21s.  i've never found the mk4s or mk4vs to be all that great, especially the mk4vs which i find to be a bit shrill sounding.

jnorman34

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 08:19:35 PM »
i had a pair of cmc64s, and i would recommend the regular mic bodies rather than the XT, and i would suggest the mk41 caps for your use.  

LCY

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 08:23:30 PM »
Hypers? Not really into that sound. I really want to start with cards and then omni's later on. I've heard the 4V's are bright, maybe the 4's are the way to go.

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 10:08:26 PM »
if you do decide to go with the mk4s there are a matched set for sale in the used gear section.  here's the link:

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=16280

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 09:22:16 AM »
keep in mind the mk41 does not sound like your typical hyper. I have run the 41 and 4's, I pretty much choose the mk41's over the 4's every time. Take a look at the mk5's, get the card and omni cap in one, might fit your needs nicely.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2004, 01:55:58 PM by creekfreak »
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 12:24:58 PM »
yeah, MK5s are sweet!!
Id go with the MK41 or MK4v.  The MK4v is nice since it kind of evens out the richness of the Schoeps sound, as far as the high end goes.  
Everyone's ears are different though, so it's a hard call!  What do you like most?
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2004, 01:41:56 PM »
keep in mind the mk41 does not sound like your typical hyper. I have run the 41 and 4's, I pretty much choose the mk4's over the 41's every time. Take a look at the mk5's, get the card and omni cap in one, might fit your needs nicely.

might be because the 41s aren't hypers ;)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2004, 01:51:43 PM »
Is there a diff. between super and hyper? I thought they were the same? Maybe not with Schoeps?

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2004, 01:56:50 PM »
thats what I meant by saying that the 41 is not your typical hyper  ;D
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2004, 01:58:28 PM »
thats what I meant by saying that the 41 is not your typical hyper  ;D

;D

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2004, 02:05:23 PM »
Is there a diff. between super and hyper? I thought they were the same? Maybe not with Schoeps?

Audix sells their MICROS line with both hyper cardiod and super cardiod elements as options.  I don't know about other companies

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com