Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Favorite preamp for AKG's?  (Read 15474 times)

Offline rockymtnryan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Favorite preamp for AKG's?
« on: March 04, 2015, 11:26:29 AM »
I'm kicking around the idea of selling my V3 and moving into a different preamp. Wondering if anyone has a particular favorite they think mixes well with AKG's.  Thanks in advance.
AKG CK61-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II
AKG CK63-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: Favorite preamp for AKG's?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 02:27:12 PM »

The SD MP2.

I had AKGs for quite a while and I thought the AKG>Grace match up really lacked something.

When I had JW modded 460s they really shined with a Busman modded box as well.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline tubems

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • local idiot
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 04:22:01 PM »
i always liked how they sound with an Aerco mp2.

i have also listened to a few tapes with the nbob akg cables into the nbox and they sound really nice too.
------------
local idiot

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 08:42:23 PM »
I agree when I had ck63's they sounded awesome with an Aerco MP-2.   Does a great job even in crappy and chatty rooms. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 09:20:07 PM »
The classic pairing is AKG with an Oade box IMO, 248 for cards, 148 for hypers. With the AKG's you need some warmth, preferably fat warmth. I ran mine with Oade boxes, Aeta, Apogee MME, Portico & Aerco all with great results. I never cared for my recordings with the V3 & ended up selling it since I didn't feel it was a good match. I did run the Mix pre for a short while but don't remeber being too impressed with it beyond the shiny lights. Now I run my 414's all the time with the FP24 & while they are LD's vs my old SD's I do like the pairing. I've also been pleased with the 414's & V2 but again I'd still prefer some transformer warmth instead. All of this is of course in my opinion   :)
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 09:29:35 PM »
I think they sound killer with naiant Littlebox or any box
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: (3) Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: (2) Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 11:47:23 PM »
I tried almost all of them, and think the transparency of the grace v2 pairs best with my c422...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline tubems

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • local idiot
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 01:50:56 AM »
I had good results with 414b/uls with sonosax as well. 
------------
local idiot

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 02:51:15 AM »
I ran just about every preamp we run with my old 480s, and my FAV preamp was the 722/702 sound! Doesn't get much easier to run either ;)

https://archive.org/details/db2007-05-21.akg483.flac16
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • lost cause
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 03:28:40 AM »
Have you thought about changing your cables out? I ran dogstars for a few runs and they seemed too "bright" to me.
The oade pairing is a good bet too. But I don't ever see anyone stick with that setup for a long time.
Everyone I knew who ran it, only did it for a while and moved on to something else. My only point to everyone always saying great things about it is
 if its that great, why not stick with it?
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline rockymtnryan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 02:05:33 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys, very helpful.  My ultimate goal is to grab another pair of AKG caps and start running 4 channel, once I'm able to find a good 4 channel deck. Looking around for an Oade mod r44 or maybe a DR680, as I don't have the budget for 744 or something like that.  I'll be selling off some excess gear to help fund the switch..

Busman bsc1 active setup (card, omni, subcard, hyper all modded, with original bsc1 electronics in the box)
Lunatec V3
Tascam HDP2 (Busman T-Mod)
Extra cables and accessories

I figure start out going straight into a new deck to see how I like that, then add external preamps if I want more.  Lots of great suggestions here from MP2 to maybe Littleboxes. I've always loved the V3 and feel the transparency plays well with the AKG's, just have an itch to do something different.

Thanks again
AKG CK61-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II
AKG CK63-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 02:24:25 PM »
Might be able to low ball this and get a good deal!!  I've ran both the R-44 and DR680 and prefer the R-44.   

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edirol-Roland-R-44-Portable-24-bit-4-Track-Field-Recorder-w-bag-power-adapter-/251863310315?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3aa4391feb
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 08:10:22 PM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 07:59:22 PM »
Have you thought about changing your cables out? I ran dogstars for a few runs and they seemed too "bright" to me.
The oade pairing is a good bet too. But I don't ever see anyone stick with that setup for a long time.
Everyone I knew who ran it, only did it for a while and moved on to something else. My only point to everyone always saying great things about it is

I stuck with Oade boxes for years, I had a 248 for a while then had Doug build me a 148. At the time I was running Schoeps & AKG's, Doug did something specific for my 148 that he felt made them sound better with the AKG's. After running that for a while Doug contacted me when after he nodded his first FR2 & told me he could get it to sound like a 148. I bought the mod FR2, kept the 248 & 148 then sold them finally to fund the Aeta since it was big bucks at the time or I never would have sold the preamps. When modded decks became popular most went to those, changing the demand for external preamps. I think those that still have the Oade pre's keep them, I don't think Doug has done repairs to them in years so if one fails you may be out of luck. They sound good, if he was still building them more people would have them & use them IMO.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • lost cause
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 01:20:31 AM »

I stuck with Oade boxes for years, I had a 248 for a while then had Doug build me a 148. At the time I was running Schoeps & AKG's, Doug did something specific for my 148 that he felt made them sound better with the AKG's. After running that for a while Doug contacted me when after he nodded his first FR2 & told me he could get it to sound like a 148. I bought the mod FR2, kept the 248 & 148 then sold them finally to fund the Aeta since it was big bucks at the time or I never would have sold the preamps. When modded decks became popular most went to those, changing the demand for external preamps. I think those that still have the Oade pre's keep them, I don't think Doug has done repairs to them in years so if one fails you may be out of luck. They sound good, if he was still building them more people would have them & use them IMO.
Wasn't calling you out Carl, maybe it sounded like I was.
It's funny you say that; I was thinking of how the flow went. Seemed like a flavor of the month thing there for a minute.
Don't even see bricks in the signal chain anymore in most torrents I see posted. I'm sure ppl have theirs still but they are collecting dust.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:52:56 AM by JackoRoses »
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 04:01:06 AM »
Thanks for all the replies guys, very helpful.  My ultimate goal is to grab another pair of AKG caps and start running 4 channel, once I'm able to find a good 4 channel deck. Looking around for an Oade mod r44 or maybe a DR680, as I don't have the budget for 744 or something like that.  I'll be selling off some excess gear to help fund the switch..

Busman bsc1 active setup (card, omni, subcard, hyper all modded, with original bsc1 electronics in the box)
Lunatec V3
Tascam HDP2 (Busman T-Mod)
Extra cables and accessories

I figure start out going straight into a new deck to see how I like that, then add external preamps if I want more.  Lots of great suggestions here from MP2 to maybe Littleboxes. I've always loved the V3 and feel the transparency plays well with the AKG's, just have an itch to do something different.

Thanks again

I think you should check out the Tascam DR70D IMO! Its brand new and is supposed to have really nice preamps in it, and for $300, how could you possibly go wrong? I'm buying one in the next few weeks! Going to sell one of my m10s an pay the rest(hopefully no more than $150) out of pocket! Add another $80 or so for cables and power, and for under $400 you have a super small and nice sounding 4 channel recorder ;) But Im running external preamps into mine, not using the 70Ds internal mic preamps! But I think there's really a LOT of potential for the 70D!!! For years we asked for a small, four channel deck with XLR inputs and a cheap price, and I'll be damned if Tascam didn't deliver and give us exactly what we wanted ;) I just don't want to sell one of my m10s to get one.But i'll do it if I have to lol ;D 8)

Anyway, I have always LOVED the 460/480> Tascam 680 tapes I've heard, Larry Pillman and Chuck come to mind, so I'm betting the farm that running 460/480> 70D would be even better, so Id highly suggest getting and trying a 70D, and if you don't like it, you can EASILY resell it and not lose any money ;) So I say try something new, because we've already used every combo out there with AKGs. So I say try something new and go the 70D route, and you just might find the best AKG combo yet ;) ;D 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.264 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com