Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audio Snake Oil  (Read 50906 times)

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Audio Snake Oil
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2015, 04:50:16 PM »
Posted the EMT plate as a counter-example of a truly useful, well-engineered, understood, intelligently applied "resonant audio enhancement device".  I probably should have noted that more clearly though.  I was going to include a photo of a tuned diaphragm absorber or helmholtz acoustic bass trap in the same post, as installed in a studio control room, as another counter-example of these principles, intelligently and measurably applied), but they don't look like much more than a flat panel or a slot in the wall.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2015, 06:00:12 PM »
can someone recommend some non-snake oil quality XLR cables?

Moon Audio. http://www.moon-audio.com/. Expensive but definitely the best interconnects that I have ever heard.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

df

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2015, 06:04:53 PM »
I said NOT ($500) snake oil cables.

mfrench

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2015, 06:14:30 PM »
Canare L4E6S starquad cable stock, Neutrik ends, and a hot soldering iron.

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2015, 06:39:56 PM »
For things our cable makers here don't do, I have had great results with these guys:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2015, 05:57:21 PM »
I said NOT ($500) snake oil cables.

Just because something is expensive does not make it snake oil. You said snake oil. You did not say anything about price. Some home stereo systems can resolve details between different types of cables and it doesn't take a stereo that costs a fortune to be able to do so.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2015, 10:26:35 PM »
$22,000 for a 2-meter pair of speaker cables or interconnects.  The idiots buying these could be donating to cancer research or helping to bring a clean water supply to a third-world country. 

Instead, they have beautiful upholstery around some copper wires.  :banging head:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue75/sc_beethoven.htm
http://6moons.com/audioreviews2/skogrand/1.html
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2015, 11:35:55 PM »
$22,000 for a 2-meter pair of speaker cables or interconnects.  The idiots buying these could be donating to cancer research or helping to bring a clean water supply to a third-world country. 

Instead, they have beautiful upholstery around some copper wires.  :banging head:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue75/sc_beethoven.htm
http://6moons.com/audioreviews2/skogrand/1.html

The review sample as requested arrived with fitted spades; these spades are custom ordered by Knut and further customized in house to fit the SC Beethoven's cable build and wire framework.

Marvelous, eh? :scared:
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2015, 08:45:40 PM »
can someone recommend some non-snake oil quality XLR cables?

Moon Audio. http://www.moon-audio.com/. Expensive but definitely the best interconnects that I have ever heard.

$75 USB Cables   lulz!       :yack:

Digital is not affected by cable except if not delivering the bits on time.
All else is hooey.   
I have nothing to gain by saying this, so take it as you wish.
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

mfrench

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2015, 08:47:17 AM »
And what do you do if the bits are not being delivered on time?

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2015, 08:53:21 AM »
http://www.moon-audio.com/silver-dragon-lightning-cable-for-apple-idevices-1-5-meter.html

$205 lightning cable for your Apple devices.

The absurdity, it boggles the mind:

The Silver Dragon USB is the most resolute USB cable on the market today so stop paying for over inflated cables and give it a try. Be prepared to be amazed at the clear sound improvement it will make when transferring your digital audio from your Apple™ iDevice.

ETA: All of you people here on ts have been telling me for years that mics, preamp and recorder were the most important pieces of the gear chain. Now I know that all I need is a quality USB cable for transfer. Thanks a lot guys.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 08:57:42 AM by hoppedup »
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

mfrench

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2015, 10:18:34 AM »
I use whatever came with the gear (if supplied) at a total cost of nothing. If the gear didn't come with a cable, then I use one that came with something else.
I've only ever purchased one USB cable, for an instance where the two ends of the cable were different. Thats kind of aggravating.

The required physical and electrical characteristics for proper transmission are fully specified in the USB standard.  Either a cable meets that or it doesn't:

http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/usb20_docs/

See chapters 6 and 7 of usb_20.pdf.

Possible problems are improper characteristic impedance on the signal pair, excess resistance on the power & ground wires causing excess voltage drop, length greater than allowed under the standard (possibly causing timing among other problems), excess capacitance causing greater than allowable loss, and improper shielding.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 10:21:23 AM by m0k3 »

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2015, 11:03:58 AM »
I don't know.

I took a chance on the $300 USB cable, and decided to hook it up to my keyboard.

I'm noticing that my adjectives and nouns agree in a slightly more precise way. My metaphors are more profound. My spelling is vastly improved. The black of the letters is blacker. It just seems like my writing flows better.

You can say that digital is all the same. But my brain tell me that this cable can make any word processor better!!!
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2015, 11:39:38 AM »

Buffer and re-clock the data in the following device.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2015, 11:39:43 AM »
I'm still pissed I let Nutter talk me into 300 dollar Audio magic cables in 2000. Just bullshit for what we do. Mics and pre and a recorder with a nice ad stage.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com