Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best Playback player  (Read 4610 times)

wrangler_n_space

• Trade Count: (0)
Best Playback player
« on: March 28, 2003, 03:14:59 PM »
What are some decent playback dat players that arent to expensive

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Best Playback player
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2003, 03:24:32 PM »
there are plenty of dat players, or homedecks that can be used strictly for playback. Everyone will have their personal favorite, so I'll start with mine, the fostex d-5. I just love the unit. Although it has no spdif out only aes outs, I have found this deck to be very reliable in my home. It handles 90m when I MUST put them in and doesn't seem to mind heavy playback. I bought both of mine used off the ebay and felt weary, but sent them straight in for cleaning/tuning and have enjoyed them ever since. Good luck and let me know if you have further questions.

Trey
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Tim

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2003, 11:01:29 PM »
I use a Tascam DA-20mkII for playback and a Tascam DA-20 for recording. Like Trey I bought both of mine off of Ebay used, sent them right in for cleaning and have had no problems at all. They see a fair amount of use and I use 90m's in both decks pretty regularly (this is not an endorsment of this practice  ;) )

The only deck that I would caution you to definitely stay far away from is the Sony R-300. I have heard nothing bad things about that deck. Save up just a little more and get a DA-20mkII.

I have heard many good things about the Fostex D5 and I know that the Sony R-500 is really a workhorse too.

I only have a few friends with the Panasonics (SV-3700 and SV-3800). I haven't heard any complaints, but my knowledge of the Panasonics is pretty limited.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2003, 11:14:40 PM by Tim »

Offline CrazyED

• Taperssection Member
  • w00ks.org
    • My Photos
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2003, 12:40:21 AM »
The Sony PCM-R500 is definatly a tank.  Its a self cleaning deck so i've never put a cleaning tape in it, nor have I ever even sent it in for a pro cleaning or anything, just checked the hour meter on mine and it has 3941 hours on it.   I used to use it for doing clones a lot back when I traded dats (d8>r500) but now I just use it for DAT>CD transfers mostly.

Close to 4000 hours, never had a problem, seen tons of 60m/90m tapes, definatly as solid of a deck that you can buy.  All kinds of ins and outs, but its got a hefty price if bought new, although i've seen them go for as low as 500 on ebay.
Gear: Canon 350D, Canon 430EX, Canon 10-22mm/3.5, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 24-70mm/2.8, Canon 70-200mm/2.8 IS

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2003, 07:11:04 AM »
re: the DAT20mkII....

Carl has one at his house for his playback going into his hi-fi.  It sounds like ass comparred to a CD burnt from that same tape and played back through his CD deck.

point being, I think they may be reliable, but they dont' sound all that good.  the D/A must not be of very high caliber I'd guess.

when it comes to digital playback, i'm starting to lean towards the  theory of "buy crap decks and a good outboard D/A"

Tim

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2003, 03:04:12 PM »
re: the DA-20mkII

Yes, now that I have stepped up the level of my playback gear I'd like to put a DAC between the DAT and my NAD. Good point Nick, I am definitely looking for a DAC.

The deck is still a proven workhorse that can be had for around 300 used and is a much better buy than the R300.

Tim

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2003, 01:43:27 PM »
seems like most of the posts agree.  i use the fostex d-5, which is pretty much the big brother of the da20 mkII.  only discernable difference is the outs like trey mentioned.  it also has optical I/O.  definately a workhorse.  should last you.

jr
we all live downstream.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com