Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Spark ME help  (Read 10909 times)

Offline hippies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
Re:Spark ME help
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2003, 02:34:52 PM »
yep, Sound Studio is definately just that easy.  drop markers and click 'split by markers'.  delete old file.  rename.  all done.  ;)

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2003, 03:01:33 PM »
About shntool, you can actually make it so that you don't have to rename any of your files.  I track in Sound Studio, and split all my tracks by markers.  The files that I get do not have an extension on the end.  Then I run shntool using the following command:
shntool conv -o shn *
in the folder with all the files.  I then get nicely named files (btw, you could also use the command shnconv) with a .shn extension and without any -fixed flags...
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2003, 04:17:19 PM »
>>Yeah, but I'm lazy...I hate renaming files.  Taking all those '-fixed' flags out wastes valuable time, dammit! And as far as I can tell, there's no way around it.<<

you can edit it so it doesn't add the "-fixed"

download the latest shntool source code.  open up the fix.c source file (it might be core-fix.c or somethign, i can check when at home).  

put a "//" before the #DEFINE postfix line

then down lower, put a "//" on the 2 lines that add the "-" and "fixed".  or i'll send you the binary

(if you're a computer geek already then maybe i should have just said comment out the lines that add the -fixed)

.>>Since you brought up the aiff thing...I had some weird errors compressing aiffs and then running shntool on them before - like shntool couldn't get some info from the files because it didn't recognize them. Ever seen those before? I'm also not thrilled with the file.aiff.shn format for command-line-shortened aiffs - again, the file renaming laziness rears its ugly head. Oh well.<<

shntool uses sox to convert formats, and sox doesn't understand compressed aiff-c.  

sound studio exports (when choosing split by markers) without filename extensions.  then a quick "shnfix -o shn *" form shntool fixes them and outputs to shn from the aiff.  no filenames to clean up.  you can also specify in shntool what output filenames to use.  very powerful utility if you know all the modules
« Last Edit: April 02, 2003, 04:18:07 PM by scott brown »

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2003, 04:36:37 PM »
you can edit it so it doesn't add the "-fixed"

Nifty fix. I hadn't thought about fiddling around in the source code but I'll give that a shot when I get home...question, though - does it then just overwrite the source file instead of adding the -fixed?

shntool uses sox to convert formats, and sox doesn't understand compressed aiff-c.  

Hmm. I also noticed that everything was incredibly slower when handling aiffs - shntool, shorten, everything. Even 'shntool len' takes 10-15 seconds. Is that typical?

sound studio exports (when choosing split by markers) without filename extensions.  then a quick "shnfix -o shn *" form shntool fixes them and outputs to shn from the aiff.  no filenames to clean up.

This was amazingly fast. So long, SoundEdit...now to get SS to export to wav, or to get shntool to work faster on aiffs...

--Dave
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2003, 04:53:52 PM »
>>Nifty fix. I hadn't thought about fiddling around in the source code but I'll give that a shot when I get home...question, though - does it then just overwrite the source file instead of adding the -fixed?<<

it will overwrite if you output the same format.  when i fix though, i usually fix .wav or .aiff directly to shn though, so no worry about overwriting

as for shntool taking longer for aiffs, there are many variations of aiff files and i have found that it's faster on some than others.  if you have a version of Peak, that'll split by markers into wav.  but if fixing all aiffs takes a few min longer than .wav, i don't mind as long as it's not incredibly longer.

mike v and i requested the output to wav option in sound studio a while ago, but it wasn't put in.  maybe in the new verson out any day now?  we'll see

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com