Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Speaker bi wire question.  (Read 7538 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Speaker bi wire question.
« on: June 06, 2019, 11:09:55 AM »
Probably a stupid question. I just picked up a pair of bi wire speaker cables. Besides the question of whether or not there is any difference, I noticed that some manufacturers label the bi wire ends. Hi and lo or bass and treble. I’m assuming this is a guideline as to where to plug the four wires in on the speaker. Bass on the bottom terminals. Does it really matter? I ask because I just purchased a pair of moderately price cables with good construction for a good price but the speaker ends are not marked like say the Monster brand. So just wondering.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 11:32:45 AM by ts »

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: Speaker wire question.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 11:10:38 AM »
Copper is copper...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 01:43:35 PM »
Unless the manufacturer has figured out how to defy the laws of physics, no.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 02:36:59 PM »
Maybe they do it just to help someone keep track of which they have plugged in to whatever amp?  Kinda' like how cables usually have a red mark on one plug and black/none on the other...that doesn't mean red has to be put on any particular side, but it helps you keep track.

Or maybe it's just more cable snake oil.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 03:53:45 PM »
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 04:59:36 PM »
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline ts

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 09:46:23 AM »
Maybe I didn't ask the question properly. Please see images. The Monster cable speaker ends are clearly marked. The brand I bought is blank.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 10:02:17 AM »
Is this a situation where bi-wiring is just optional rather than required?  If so maybe just use normal wiring to avoid any confusion.

(To be clear, I'm not trying to say anything about the merits of bi-wiring from a sound perspective...I'm just looking at this in terms of convenience.)
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 02:56:49 PM »
You are merely replacing the jumper at the speaker terminals with a full length of wire from your amp terminals.  You have a single (+) at amp end and a pair of (+) at the speaker end.  It doesn't matter which (+) you attach to the high or low (+) at the speaker side.  Same goes for the (-) ends.  No labels required unless you want to be sure to connect them the same way every time.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline ts

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 05:42:00 PM »
You are merely replacing the jumper at the speaker terminals with a full length of wire from your amp terminals.  You have a single (+) at amp end and a pair of (+) at the speaker end.  It doesn't matter which (+) you attach to the high or low (+) at the speaker side.  Same goes for the (-) ends.  No labels required unless you want to be sure to connect them the same way every time.

Thanks. That’s the answer I was looking for.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2019, 10:59:07 PM »
Maybe they do it just to help someone keep track of which they have plugged in to whatever amp?  Kinda' like how cables usually have a red mark on one plug and black/none on the other...that doesn't mean red has to be put on any particular side, but it helps you keep track.

It does matter. Audio signals are pulsating DC, so the black and red wires are polarity sensitive.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2019, 11:03:11 PM »
Maybe I didn't ask the question properly. Please see images. The Monster cable speaker ends are clearly marked. The brand I bought is blank.

The Monster cable is for a bi-amp configuration. The other set is a splitter. Keep in mind that the split end has a smaller wire gauge than the other end. It's probably fine, depending on the amp/speaker specs. I would cover the unused banana plugs with heatshrink so that it does not make contact with anything conductive.

Offline ts

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2019, 11:36:50 AM »

The Monster cable is for a bi-amp configuration. The other set is a splitter. Keep in mind that the split end has a smaller wire gauge than the other end. It's probably fine, depending on the amp/speaker specs. I would cover the unused banana plugs with heatshrink so that it does not make contact with anything conductive.

Thanks for pointing that out about the Monster brand. For my cables (those in the other picture) I’m using all four ends on the speaker side. That’s my original question, that Craig T has answered. It doesn’t matter in my application as long as red goes to red and black to black.

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Speaker bi wire question.
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 12:06:51 AM »

It does matter. Audio signals are pulsating DC, so the black and red wires are polarity sensitive.

Audio is AC, not DC.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.127 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com