Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SP-CMC-8 vs. SP-BMC-10  (Read 3301 times)

Offline sdc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
SP-CMC-8 vs. SP-BMC-10
« on: August 18, 2019, 07:59:13 AM »
Hi, all,

I've been taping for years, most recently with my M-10's internal mics and I'm ready to invest in a modest set-up to improve the M-10's sound.  After perusing here and discussing the question with a few folks, I've narrowed my search to the SP-CMC-8 or the SP-BMC-10, with a SP power supply (in other words, I'm looking to spend $200-$500).  I looked at the Church mics, but with some shows coming up in September I don't think the timing is right.  Generally, I record rock shows in clubs or concert halls, as well as classical music in large auditoriums, always stealthy.  Would you advise one or the other of the two I'm considering---or suggest that there is some other alternative I should consider?  Also, do I really need to get the low sensitivity modification if I'm going to be recording in smallish clubs?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

SDC
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 09:11:22 PM by sdc »

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: SP-CMC-8 vs. SP-BMC-10
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 03:15:44 PM »
BMC's are Binaural (omnidirectional) mics.
CMC's are Cardioid (directional) mics.

Both products offer the low sensivity option which is absolutely necessary if you want to record high SPLs (loud shows).

However... If I had to buy mics from soundpros right now, I'd probably order a pair of SP-CMC-4U.
They're made of AT-853 caps which are really popular amongst tapers and a great bang for the bucks.
You'll find alot of great sounding recordings made with them on Dime.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 03:25:55 PM by fandelive »
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline sdc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 08:57:57 PM »
BMC's are Binaural (omnidirectional) mics.
CMC's are Cardioid (directional) mics.

Both products offer the low sensivity option which is absolutely necessary if you want to record high SPLs (loud shows).

However... If I had to buy mics from soundpros right now, I'd probably order a pair of SP-CMC-4U.
They're made of AT-853 caps which are really popular amongst tapers and a great bang for the bucks.
You'll find alot of great sounding recordings made with them on Dime.

Thanks so much, this is helpful (especially the importance of the low sensitivity option).  So the 10s aren't worth the extra $100 and the 8s aren't worth the extra $200?  I had been leaning toward the binaurals, but then the reviews of the 8s made them seem like they were worth the extra expense.

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 02:40:35 AM »
Binaural is a recording technic consisting in mounting a pair of omnidirectional caps close to ears. Recordings sound very natural, especially when playing them back thru headphones.

Have you thought about how you'd mount your mics at shows? The higher the better. No need to spend alot on external mics if you plan to mount them at chest level.
Collar/shoulders level is a minimum, but head level will provide the best results with nothing obstructing the way between sound source and mics.

I couldn't find which capsules are used by SP-CMC-8 (AT 933, AT 943??), but there are probably topics here that compare them with CMC-4's.

About omnis vs cardioids, (and this is a personal opinion) I think omnis will work better only if you're in the perfect situation (sweet spot, perfect room acoustics, perfect mix, no one talking next to you). Doesn't happen that often.

I've taped with both at the same time lately, and find the cardioids source to sound better 99% of the time.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 11:26:03 AM by fandelive »
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061

Offline sdc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 07:56:12 AM »
I was thinking about the binaurals because I was hoping to attach the clips to my glasses or something similar.  I figured cards would be similarly positioned.  Generally, I assume that I need to be a little stealthy but mostly just not too obvious.  I've made some really mediocre recordings over the years holding a microphone lower than top of the seat level.

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 11:19:00 AM »
Mics mounted on glasses is perfect. You can mount a pair of cardioids "Binaural-style" as well. But because of their reduced polar pattern, you simply won't get such natural result.

Omnis will be more forgiving about you moving your head while recording. That's the main issue I can see when stealthing with cards: you have to stand still. Otherwise you get phasing effects.

Sometimes, it can be painful for the neck.

On the other hand, you'll have to improve your remastering skills when using Omnis because they pick up way too much bass at rock shows.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 11:44:50 AM by fandelive »

Offline sdc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 12:29:32 PM »
Thanks so much.  I really appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions. 

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 01:31:48 AM »
Forgot to mention that since you want to record in a great variety of venues (from small clubs to big halls), cardioids would be a better choice over omnis since they are more versatile and will handle much more situations.

Happy taping!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 06:23:33 AM by fandelive »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com