Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Seeking help with USB or 1/8" input options  (Read 1436 times)

Offline adamz

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Seeking help with USB or 1/8" input options
« on: April 08, 2020, 09:54:57 PM »
Hi,
I seek a USB input (or 1/8") option for a Cascade fathead to record a french horn direct to a laptop.
My UA5 is modded so the USB is disabled permanently.
I'll be researching on my own tonight but if there's anyone willing to point me where I need to be, I'm grateful.
Adam Z

Offline adamz

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Seeking help with USB or 1/8" input options
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 10:11:42 PM »
Hi,
I seek a USB input (or 1/8") option for a Cascade fathead to record a french horn direct to a laptop.
My UA5 is modded so the USB is disabled permanently.
I'll be researching on my own tonight but if there's anyone willing to point me where I need to be, I'm grateful.
Adam Z
These ribbon mics dont like phantom power so there's a simple cord available at Musicians Friend that goes XLR->Usb for $30ish.
If anyone here has a similar setup to sell, I'm game otherwise, I'll order tomorrow the fathead and cord will put me in $200 range all new stuff.
The goal is to record a french horn right to the laptop. We've been using a clip on but its time for an upgrade in that price range.
Thanks again,
AZ

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 12:29:24 AM »
Phantom power can almost always be switched off. If it can't, then it might be some other kind of powering sloppily labeled as "phantom." And that would be far more likely to harm a ribbon mike than actual phantom powering would be.

One other concern: "Passive" ribbon microphones such as the Fathead put out weak signals. If you translate the Fathead's specifications into modern Western terms, its sensitivity is only 1.2 mV/Pa, while condenser microphones typically put out 10 times that voltage (~20 dB higher signal levels)--and most recording equipment nowadays is designed for those higher voltage levels. Low-cost consumer gear may thus prove too noisy for good results. Of course a lot depends on how loud you play, and where the microphone is relative to your horn. But you're rather more likely to damage a ribbon microphone by direct-miking a brass instrument than you (usually) are with phantom power.

--best regards
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 12:46:53 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline adamz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 11:48:14 AM »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com