Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: microphone recommendation for acoustic concerts  (Read 8113 times)

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: microphone recommendation for acoustic concerts
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2020, 04:32:08 PM »

[...]

but from time to time I am attending acoustic concerts,
not just a single guitar player - a full band with bass, drums, piano aso.

[...]

I am open for every other advice, if it's small and stealthable.

I actually happened to st€@1t# tape two acoustic/full band shows exactly like you describe (amplified or mic'ed guitars, bass, drums, piano or synth) in two different clubs (300 capacity venues).
Those shows were taped using two different equipment, both from the exact same spot and mics mounted at head level:

• Sources #01 : MM-HLSC-1 (2x Sennheiser MKE2) (4.7k mod done by Church Audio) > SP-SPSB-6524 (no bass roll-off) > Tascam DR-2d (mic-in)
  • Sources #02 : 2x DPA 4060 > CA-9100 > Tascam DR-2d (line-in)

As both mics and the CA-9100 preamp were discussed here, I thought I'd share a couple of comparison samples: https://uptobox.com/x223v27mxmyf.
Some parts are very quiet and I don't think I can hear any hiss...

My take on it is that if the stars are aligned (good acoustics venue, good balance between instruments/vocals, taping from the sweet spot, no chatters or clappers, ...), a pair of DPA4060's can't be beaten.

Also, I've got a spare pair of high sensivity SP-CMC-4/AT853's (cardioids) with removable caps terminated by a mini-jack plug that I'd be willing to let go for a fair price. No 4.7k mod on it.
Let me know if you're interested ;)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 04:48:06 PM by fandelive »
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2020, 07:43:07 PM »
The only reason I let the actual govern the volume of the recording and not the room nor the applause is simply one of laziness and distrust.

I don't trust the limiters in most machines and if I screw up a setting then the recording is ruined forever.  Granted, I've never tried to seriously play with and understand those limiter settings, so I am guilty of laziness.  RX7 is a great program for clipping and limiting, and indeed it has two whole menus designed for these functions in post.  It's really an amazing plug in. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2020, 08:10:48 AM »
I don't trust the limiters in most machines and if I screw up a setting then the recording is ruined forever.  Granted, I've never tried to seriously play with and understand those limiter settings, so I am guilty of laziness.  RX7 is a great program for clipping and limiting, and indeed it has two whole menus designed for these functions in post.  It's really an amazing plug in.

ive used izotope to repair mild clipping, have you ever used it to repair really bad clipping? some recorders sound horrible when clipped and im wondering how these fare in software. Ive seen izotope do some amazing things, but i have no first hand experience using it in seriously bad obvious audible clipping
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2020, 08:26:03 AM »

ive used izotope to repair mild clipping, have you ever used it to repair really bad clipping? some recorders sound horrible when clipped and im wondering how these fare in software. Ive seen izotope do some amazing things, but i have no first hand experience using it in seriously bad obvious audible clipping

^ +1 to all that.

The thing I most often use in RX is Spectral Denoise.  It's the only thing I have found that allows me to knock back HVAC drone in my recordings to an acceptable level while leaving the music free from artifacts.  It requires a careful hand to get there, though.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline pillowman

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.openingtime.lima-city.de
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2020, 10:44:03 AM »
UPDATE:

òla together,
after this topic was so well discussed, ... hints and advices were exchanged I really like to go further to tell the community how things went on, ...
first a BIG 'thanks you' to TS.com member 'fandelive' who send me the unmodded AT's just in time, just perfect !!!

yesterday I was able to attend my first concert after the COVID-19 break,
of course it is still not the same live experience like before but with some kind of  hygiene concept the artist was allowed to perform in front of a small seated audience  :guitarist:
and here is what I was able to capture and how:

#1: Sony PCM-M10 (line in - rec level '5') > CA-9100 (100% gain)  > AT853c ( wo[!]/4.7kmod )
LINK: https://wetransfer.com/downloads/078ae2bb1fab2d47359e2073d03e705b20200607142735/eb0ba9bc235d85e097225276024fa2af20200607142800/9be803

#2: Sony PCM-M10 (line in - rec level '10') > SPSB-10  > AT853c ( w[!]/4.7kmod )
LINK: https://wetransfer.com/downloads/ff7826fff2a05a83cd528aa602f3a69c20200607142829/8129940b5a173a98c7b9e0d7293b441c20200607142844/e6fe32

I think the result speaks for itself, ... would like to read some more opinions if possible  ;D
again thank you very much, stay healthy and optimistic !!!

pillowman

RECORDERS: Sony PCM-A10 / 3x Sony PCM-M10 / TASCAM DR-2d / Sony NH 600 / Sharp MD-MT180(H) / Sony MZ-R35
MICS: LINE AUDIO CM3, AT853c, ATU853c, hc  (4.7k mod) / Sony ECM-717 / 3x Sennheiser ME104
BBox's: Denecke PS-2 / SP-SPSB-9 / SP-SPSB-10 / SP-SPSB-20 / Soundman A3

trading page: www.openingtime.lima-city.de

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2020, 05:59:32 PM »
I see you have solved your problem.Very nice :cheers:

However the Right and Left channels are swapped between the sources. :smash:

Some stealth tapers don't care about it but i always have my mics in the proper Left,Right positions. :headphones:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com