Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: building a microphone 9v battery power supply for beginners  (Read 10966 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: building a microphone 9v battery power supply for beginners
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2020, 02:47:08 PM »
David, thanks for the pictures. The voltage drop across the resistor corresponds to the current  that flows to the microphone. The function of the resistor in 9V battery box is to limit the current. What I read here on the forum, the current is more important than the voltage of 9V. You could calculate the value of that resistor according to the parameters of a specific microphone (I am not able to do it). Or if you have chosen a value that others use, that will be fine.

Roberti, sometimes it's good to try to do it yourself, because you can learn something extra. Of course, there are cases where I blame myself for not giving it to a professional.

This
This kind of made me think of an average fan saying to a taper with thousands of dollars of gear set up to tape, “Dude, you don’t have $15 to buy the soundboard?”
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2020, 03:36:58 PM »
 ;D

Yes, Robeti is right, sometimes our hobbies are very strange.

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2021, 01:38:11 AM »
So I finally got things together and tried putting this together. I can get power to the mics and have them send a signal, but there’s absolutely so channel separation. I bought the capacitors and resistors a while back but remember trying to follow the guidance from that Sony insider post.

Attaching a picture of what I’ve got.
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2021, 08:28:44 AM »
So I finally got things together and tried putting this together. I can get power to the mics and have them send a signal, but there’s absolutely so channel separation. I bought the capacitors and resistors a while back but remember trying to follow the guidance from that Sony insider post.

Wow those caps are huge  :o

Channel separation issue should be resistor related. What values are you using? Can you give the voltage reading at the input jack terminals?

It looks like you're missing the ground connection from input to output. Otherwise it looks ok as long as your caps are wired in the correct orientation (can't tell from this picture)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 08:35:26 AM by DavidPuddy »
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2021, 01:47:12 PM »

Channel separation issue should be resistor related. What values are you using? Can you give the voltage reading at the input jack terminals?

It looks like you're missing the ground connection from input to output. Otherwise it looks ok as long as your caps are wired in the correct orientation (can't tell from this picture)

The resistors are 5.6k ohm. The capacitors are non-polarized (which I think is why they’re so big) so they shouldn’t need a specific orientation.
Are you saying I need to connect the ground on the input jack to the ground on the output jack? Does that also require a capacitor?

Also a side note, the signal from this battery box seemed to be very clean. I was surprised how minimal the noise seemed on my initial tests.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2021, 02:32:30 PM »

The resistors are 5.6k ohm. The capacitors are non-polarized (which I think is why they’re so big) so they shouldn’t need a specific orientation.
Are you saying I need to connect the ground on the input jack to the ground on the output jack? Does that also require a capacitor?

Also a side note, the signal from this battery box seemed to be very clean. I was surprised how minimal the noise seemed on my initial tests.

No capacitor needed for the ground, you just need to connect the black wire coming from the battery to the ground lugs on both jacks. See my picture below:

https://imgur.com/a/QnLToXM
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2021, 03:17:23 PM »

That is excellent.
I love the point-to-point wiring.
What now?  carefully insulate parts, or put it in hotmelt glue ?
Either way, glad to see the hacking....
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2021, 09:47:12 PM »
The lack of ground for the output side was the issue. Grounded that lug and the channels are now separate. I’ll bring t in to work tomorrow and take a reading of the voltage at the input jack. To do that would I be able to plug in a 3.5mm cable to the mic input jack and take the reading from either channel to ground?

My next step is to make holes in either side of a plastic housing I purchased, align the jacks with the holes and fill with hot melt glue.

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2021, 11:51:04 PM »
The lack of ground for the output side was the issue. Grounded that lug and the channels are now separate. I’ll bring t in to work tomorrow and take a reading of the voltage at the input jack. To do that would I be able to plug in a 3.5mm cable to the mic input jack and take the reading from either channel to ground?

My next step is to make holes in either side of a plastic housing I purchased, align the jacks with the holes and fill with hot melt glue.
Tip, from someone well versed in the use of hot melt glue.
You can glue in a few places only, to secure components inside the case, then cover with tape or cardboard.If you ever need to fix gear later on, it is great to have access.
If you don't want access, epoxy can be used.  That is what Chris used I think.  Two part epoxy.

Please post pics of finished product :)
  Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2021, 06:33:33 PM »

Voltage reads 8.7 V

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2021, 11:48:35 PM »
Must have weakened a loose connection when I was setting the glue as the box now doesn't pass a signal.

Going to start from scratch with new components from digikey as opposed to the local electronics supply shop. Going to go with mounted jacks and housing with a battery compartment. Will update once everything arrives and is assembled.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2021, 02:12:18 AM »
no substitute for doing... the only way to learn!
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2021, 02:36:32 AM »
Must have weakened a loose connection when I was setting the glue as the box now doesn't pass a signal.

Going to start from scratch with new components from digikey as opposed to the local electronics supply shop. Going to go with mounted jacks and housing with a battery compartment. Will update once everything arrives and is assembled.
Before you start over...
Look for "cold solder" joints.  Easy to detect by wiggling the wires and see where the break is.
Can you get hot melt glue away or have you completely encased the circuit?

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2021, 12:35:28 PM »

Before you start over...
Look for "cold solder" joints.  Easy to detect by wiggling the wires and see where the break is.

Circuit is completely encased. TBH I welcome the opportunity to force myself to do it from scratch.

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2021, 03:11:47 PM »

Before you start over...

Circuit is completely encased. TBH I welcome the opportunity to force myself to do it from scratch.
LOLZ
Welcome to the club.
Nothing wrong with point to point wiring though.  It is the best.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com