Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stand weights - another solution  (Read 3706 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Stand weights - another solution
« on: February 07, 2021, 05:18:40 PM »
I have been searching for years to find easily-transportable weights for mic stands, especially for my small-footprint setups built on the Impact Back Light Stand base.

Sandbags are hard to use with these kinds of setups; barbell weight plates are expensive and I'm not sure they have a large enough center opening to go over the 5/8" socket tightening knob. I also don't want to deal with filling anything with water onsite. I had been looking for something with a C-shaped opening like the stackable mic stands sold by various companies, but until now have come up empty.

What I have just come across are weight plates for tent canopies. These fit all the requirements I had been looking for.

This style of cement-filled weights are sold by various brands and typically come in a set of four 5-pound plates.

If you need a lot of weight for a very tall and/or outdoor setup, these plates are 21 lb each and are rubber-coated made of rubber.

EDIT: The 21 lb weights above are also available from this eBay store which has free shipping. (The shipping from the manufacturer costs more than double the product itself!)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 07:55:09 AM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Re: Stand weights - another solution
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 05:46:55 PM »
Good catch!
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 04:54:57 PM »
This thread makes me think that you are in a lucky place, taper-wise, if weight is of no concern! As I frequently take trains, plus local public transport and/or a lot of walking, to get to the shows I record, the very thought of twenty or more pounds of additional load makes my back and knees ache! I have actually gone to a lot of effort to minimize the weight of my gear. You guys that can load up the trunk as you see fit are definitely fortunate...

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 01:59:09 AM »
You could also use some wrist or ankle weights to weigh your tripod down. But then I'm more or less in the same boat as aaronji: You would have to carry these in public transport or on longer walks.

Another option would be some Molle (tactical) bottle holders that you could attach to your stand. So, you could buy a bottle on-site or fill your bottle with water. On the other hand, as Voltronic has already mentioned, water and electricity do not get together well. So, you would have to be very careful.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 06:43:53 AM »
Another option would be some Molle (tactical) bottle holders that you could attach to your stand. So, you could buy a bottle on-site or fill your bottle with water. On the other hand, as Voltronic has already mentioned, water and electricity do not get together well. So, you would have to be very careful.

It's not really that I'm concerned about spills and electrical damage as it is I typically need to get in and out very fast (as I am often performing) so I don't have time to mess around with filling water weights.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 01:44:35 PM »
I sometimes hang my recording recording bag from the stand itself, such that it is low and as centered as possible, ideally centered within the tripod legs if it will fit. As such the bag with recorder, external battery, and whatever else in there (couple water bottles?) serves as stand stabilizing weight. Also keeps the cable run up the stand as short and protected as possible.

I started doing this years ago with compact rig I'd run way FOB in the middle of the intensity zone, as it both helped stabilise the small stand and I allowed me to simply grab the central upright of the stand to shift or bolt as needed. Can be a good option where appropriate as it uses the weight already being carried.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 02:13:29 PM »
^ I always have a loop of paracord and a small carabiner on hand that I sometimes use like that. I can also run the cord through the D-rings on the corners of the bag to hang it from some structures (like the soundboard enclosures at several venues I frequent). I prefer not to have any electronics sitting on the floor if I can avoid it!

Offline voltronic

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 07:57:22 AM »
I looked at the 21 lb rubber plates again, and found that the shipping cost is very high - more than double the item cost. Fortunately, I came across this eBay store which has free shipping, and nice small-quantity volume discounts.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Impact-Canopy-Pop-Up-Canopy-Rubber-Weight-Plates-for-Tent-Flag-Patio-Umbrella-/202222607051
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 07:13:51 PM »
I looked at the 21 lb rubber plates again, and found that the shipping cost is very high - more than double the item cost. Fortunately, I came across this eBay store which has free shipping, and nice small-quantity volume discounts.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Impact-Canopy-Pop-Up-Canopy-Rubber-Weight-Plates-for-Tent-Flag-Patio-Umbrella-/202222607051

If Ebay has it so does Amazon and with prime they will ship anything for free.  I wanted to see if they would do it, got a $1.97 tube of superglue shipped in 48 hours and delivered free.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 08:45:19 PM »

If Ebay has it so does Amazon and with prime they will ship anything for free.  I wanted to see if they would do it, got a $1.97 tube of superglue shipped in 48 hours and delivered free.

You cannot assume that. I have bought many items from eBay, particularly mic mounts and associated hardware, that Amazon does not carry. There are also millions of items there that are not Prime eligible and/or do not have free shipping. Prime isn't free anyway; you're paying a yearly fee for it.

Amazon also does not always have the lowest price. This is a perfect example. Amazon does sell these same weights, but only in a 4-pack and priced much higher than the eBay store I posted. Did you miss the fact that the eBay seller also has free shipping?
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 07:19:14 PM »
Order placed. I will share pics with my stands once it comes in.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline wigglepuppy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2021, 11:02:02 PM »
These work pretty well as long as you have access to running water to fill it up once in the venue. It’s made of very durable rubber and is 22 lbs when filled with water.
https://www.galaxyaudio.com/parts-and-accessories/lsr38#view-details
Mics: DPA 2011C x 2, Audix SCX25 x 2, Sennheiser MKH8060 x 2, Sennheiser MKH8090 x 2, Schoeps CMC64 x 2, Schoeps MK8, Schoeps CMIT5u, Sennheiser MD421 x 3, MD441 x 2, ADK A51TL x 2, Crown SASSPMK2, Shure KSM32 & Audix STE8 Studio Drum Pack.
Front Ends: Presonus AudioBox iTwo, Sonosax SXM2, SD MP2, Motu Traveler.
Recorders: Edirol R44, Tascam DR680, M-Audio Microtrack, Fostex D5, Fostex CR200.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 06:14:17 AM »
These work pretty well as long as you have access to running water to fill it up once in the venue. It’s made of very durable rubber and is 22 lbs when filled with water.
https://www.galaxyaudio.com/parts-and-accessories/lsr38#view-details

This looks really great - up to 38 lbs when filled with sand, and very compact. I also might get over my fear of using water for weights around my equipment.

Update on the rubber plates: They arrived a few weeks ago, but they have been off-gassing more severely than any rubber product I have ever experienced. I guess that's somewhat to be expected with that much rubber, but it was absolutely overpowering when I opened the box, and I had to take them outside and deodorize the entire house.

I emailed the manufacturer after a few days to complain, and the rep apologized and said that other customers have mentioned this to them. I have had the plates on my back patio since then, but they still have quite a smell after more than 3 weeks.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline blee421

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2021, 04:22:47 PM »
Whenever I need my stand glued to the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=344SfAse3Ew
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 06:49:43 PM by blee421 »
Bruel & Kjaer 4011 
DPA 4018 VL > MMP-A
MBHO MBP 603 - KA/200

Lunatec V2 (x2)
Lunatec V3 (x2)
Apogee Mini MP 

Sonic AD2K+

Edirol R44
SD 722
Microtrack 24/96 (x4) Great for DAT transfers - $50.00

Teddy Gak XLR's
Audio Magic Sorcerer
Audio Magic Hyperconductor

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2021, 06:53:23 PM »
I use a sandbag with two five pound hand dumbbells inside them. No issues so far.
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com