Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SP-CMC-4U - just some final concerns  (Read 2250 times)

Offline OrionMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
SP-CMC-4U - just some final concerns
« on: September 03, 2021, 12:16:47 AM »
So after almost every waking minute these past 3 days of researching, I've narrowed down to getting a version of the SP-CMC-4x mic and I have a few final questions.

Some question I hope to get answered once I call the company, but at the same time I would like to get actuall customer experience/feedback too.

What is the difference between:
SP-CMC-4U
SP-CMC-4
besides double the price?
The photo shows a different clip (maybe the same, just from a different angle) but the description states the same clip model number.
I had the two pages open on 2 separate monitors and the write out looks to be the same, besides price and that the U had no options to purchase from.

The "no low option" - how many SPLs can the U version handle?
My Zoom H1 will be upgraded, likely to the Sony PCM-A10 once it's in stock (not sure if the mics make a difference with each model). 
The H1 is rated by Zoom to be at 120db.
Would the "no low" mic along with the H1 handle more or less?  I don't think I would ever need more than 120. I attend rock concerts, but never real close to the stage at huge stadium shows (don't want hearing damage).

The only reason to get the low sensitivity mic is when recordings are going to be in super loud environments, right?
I don't think I ever heard a recording on my H1 that sounded like it bricked, so I'm basing if I need a low or high on how well my H1 worked for me.

What are your opinions, experiences and suggestions?  And how long did you have to wait to get the "modded" version (low sensitivity version)?

Online beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: SP-CMC-4U - just some final concerns
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 06:27:09 AM »
You definitely need the low sensitivity mod.

Or all your recordings will be distorted.

Get the U version.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 08:49:50 AM »

In the past Sound Professionals offered an additional discount to Taperssection members if you mentioned that when placing an order with them.  I don't know if they still offer that discount but it might be worth mentioning.

Depending upon what you're comfortable with you may want to request that the mic cables be terminated with a Right Angle (RA) connector for whatever battery box you use.  I personally prefer the RA connectors to the straight connectors.
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 09:39:05 AM »
I think you’re making a good choice. I’m a relative beginner and I’m basically using your rig. While I’m sure my work doesn’t stack up to the best (yet!), I’m happy with the results I get. Here’s one from the weekend - https://archive.org/details/dbt2021-08-28
AT U853A (SP-CMC-4U) > SP-SPSB-10 12V > Sony A10
Line Audio CM4/OM1> Sound Devices MixPre6ii or Tascam DR100 mkiii

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 06:45:20 PM »

Get the U version.

+1 on the low-sensitivity mod. It doesn't take much to brickwall your recordings, and there's no way to fix it.

The "U" version is the newer, upgraded version. They're good mics - I and many others here started with them and some continue to use them. You can change capsules on them which makes them very versatile, plus they're small and discrete. Make sure you get the 3.5mm plug version, not the phantom power XLR version. I wouldn't get a cable length shorter than 7 feet for the mics. Order these with a straight 3.5mm plug.

I would get this battery box (no bass roll off or other stuff needed). You can use your Zoom recorder and upgrade later.

https://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=310&item=SP-SPSB-10-13005

You can order cables from them as well.  I would get the cable below in 1 ft length to go between battery box and recorder. One side straight plug, one side right angle. Right angle plug goes in recorder.

https://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/MS-SPSC-4

Definitely ask about the discount for TS members. It used to be 10%.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 06:49:18 PM by DavidPuddy »
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Online beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 07:10:21 PM »

Get the U version.

+1 on the low-sensitivity mod. It doesn't take much to brickwall your recordings, and there's no way to fix it.

The "U" version is the newer, upgraded version. They're good mics - I and many others here started with them and some continue to use them. You can change capsules on them which makes them very versatile, plus they're small and discrete. Make sure you get the 3.5mm plug version, not the phantom power XLR version. I wouldn't get a cable length shorter than 7 feet for the mics. Order these with a straight 3.5mm plug.

I would get this battery box (no bass roll off or other stuff needed). You can use your Zoom recorder and upgrade later.

https://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=310&item=SP-SPSB-10-13005

You can order cables from them as well.  I would get the cable below in 1 ft length to go between battery box and recorder. One side straight plug, one side right angle. Right angle plug goes in recorder.

https://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/MS-SPSC-4

Definitely ask about the discount for TS members. It used to be 10%.

Good info....
I use this battery box and it is very small.

https://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSB-8-MKII

Offline OrionMan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 07:34:39 PM »
So I ordered everything I said I would, except the Sony was not in stock.  So got a Roland R-07 (already delivered), which I think for me, may be a better choice. 

I ordered the battery box without cables.  So will order that minor, but necessary item, once I figure out the length I need.

Thanks everyone for your help!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com