Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stealth low-sensitivity setup from scratch  (Read 7039 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Stealth low-sensitivity setup from scratch
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2021, 10:28:36 AM »
I am just reading this thread and am I the only one who thinks the choice of a Sony A10 is wrong for this setup? I have one and generally speaking it runs hot. If we are talking about really loud shows why a deck that runs hot? A Marantz PMD 620MKII (or MKI) is much better as is a Tascam DR2d if it can be found. Even the Roland R07 runs less hot than the Sony. There are other less popular brands too that are good choices. The Sony M10 is better too, but seems to be selling at a price beyond it value right now. I have and use all the decks mentioned, so I am not speculating, just trying to mention there may be better choices for the OP.

I have a bunch of Tascam DR-2D's.  You can find them regularly on EBay for $60 to $100.  I t is a great stealth recorder albeit without the latest bells and whistles.

One welcome whistle it does include is a small IR remote.  With the hold-control of the recorder switched on and all transport controls on the recorder itself otherwise locked, the remote can still be used to start/stop recording, requiring only a direct line of sight to the top of the recorder.  Alternately, IR control can be switched off entirely in the system menu if desired.  It's an effective substitute for modern bluetooth control from a phone.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 10:30:08 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2021, 03:11:07 PM »
I am just reading this thread and am I the only one who thinks the choice of a Sony A10 is wrong for this setup? I have one and generally speaking it runs hot. If we are talking about really loud shows why a deck that runs hot? A Marantz PMD 620MKII (or MKI) is much better as is a Tascam DR2d if it can be found. Even the Roland R07 runs less hot than the Sony. There are other less popular brands too that are good choices. The Sony M10 is better too, but seems to be selling at a price beyond it value right now. I have and use all the decks mentioned, so I am not speculating, just trying to mention there may be better choices for the OP.

I have a bunch of Tascam DR-2D's.  You can find them regularly on EBay for $60 to $100.  I t is a great stealth recorder albeit without the latest bells and whistles.
One welcome whistle it does include is a small IR remote.  With the hold-control of the recorder switched on and all transport controls on the recorder itself otherwise locked, the remote can still be used to start/stop recording, requiring only a direct line of sight to the top of the recorder.  Alternately, IR control can be switched off entirely in the system menu if desired.  It's an effective substitute for modern bluetooth control from a phone.
It also is a good match for this OP's situation. I have never used the remote, but I probably should try it sometime.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 03:14:21 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Emskidoodlepip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2021, 08:41:13 AM »

It also is a good match for this OP's situation. I have never used the remote, but I probably should try it sometime.

Fascinating—I only saw this just as I was about to take the plunge on an A10! The remote functionality thereof I thought would be rather useful for stealthing, as with the size. Is the only advantage of the A10 over the DR-2D the fact that it is smaller and can be controlled by a phone? Both are handy, but when I can get a DR-2D for less than a quarter of the price of the A10 (and the A10 seems to be universally out of stock new and pretty much all second-hand ones going for way over RRP), the former seems rather more attractive...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 02:57:03 PM by Emskidoodlepip »

Offline hipporu

• Taperssection Regular
  • The head - this is the distance between the ears
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2021, 05:24:50 PM »
the price of the A10 (and the A10 seems to be universally out of stock new and pretty much all second-hand ones going for way over RRP), the former seems rather more attractive...
After March 10, 2021, we have decided to suspend accepting orders from our distributors to our company and accepting orders from customers in the Sony store.

https://www.sony.jp/ic-recorder/info2/20210310.html
Line Audio CM3 CM4 OM1, MKH 416, MKH 406, BP4029, AT4073a, AT Pro 45,  Ferrograph (Reslo RBL), ECM-737
SD MixPre-6, SD MixPre-3II, PCM-A10, Deity HD-TX, Marantz PMD620, Sony TC-D5 ProII
SD MixPre-D, Dcode PS-T, Sound Professionals SP-Preamp, Church Audio ST-20A

Offline Fredman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2021, 11:46:57 AM »
Seeing as we’re talking decks, thought I’d just post the family photo…

D5-M10-A10 by FredMan, on Flickr

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2021, 05:44:41 PM »
Seeing as we’re talking decks, thought I’d just post the family photo…

D5-M10-A10 by FredMan, on Flickr

What no d6 or d3 ? Cmon now 🖖🏽🙃
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com