Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: More SBD/AUD Topics - Matching sound characteristics, etc  (Read 168 times)

Offline vantheman

• (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
More SBD/AUD Topics - Matching sound characteristics, etc
« on: November 17, 2021, 08:16:39 AM »
Some of you were very generous with your help in another thread helping me to understand the principles of a sbd/aud matrix. The shows happened over the weekend and I got both of them with mostly just a few problems. First night I was able to get dedicated vocal lines off the soundboard, and the second night I was only able to get the output mix - vocal heavy, but containing everything.

I was expecting to have a harder time doing the time alignment. I had to use two decks because there weren’t enough available lines off the board for my stage mics. Below is a track from later in the show, and I’m not hearing alignment issues. It’s just a first pass, and I’ll take a more careful look later. It seems odd that between two decks from two different companies that one of them wouldn’t need to be stretched a little. But this isn’t necessarily the question…

What can I do to make the vocal heavy sbd mix sound more like the stage mix? I tried using RX7 EQ Match, but I’m not sure how well it worked. Here’s an example mix down -

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DGM-mEZfqHthkDias5ju3LHfDCRXRmKn/view?usp=drivesdk

And a similar question from night 1. I was able to get two discrete channels for lead vocal and backing vocal. The vocal tracks have a fair amount of bleed from the amps and drums on the small stage, and I think this is why the vocals sound muddy. De-bleed in RX7 doesn’t seem to be working at all in this case:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/104RTdqtrFUFyTuqElAtFfARCij12DNWU/view?usp=sharing

Both examples above are selected from later in the set where alignment problems, if any, may be more obvious. Here’s a pic from night 2, my CM4s are lower right:

« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 01:43:49 PM by vantheman »
AT U853A Cardioids (SP-CMC-4U) > SP-SPSB-10 12V > Sony A10

Offline morst

• Trade Unionist
  • (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: More SBD/AUD Topics - Matching sound characteristics, etc
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 03:34:03 PM »
I was expecting to have a harder time doing the time alignment. I had to use two decks because there weren’t enough available lines off the board for my stage mics. Below is a track from later in the show, and I’m not hearing alignment issues. It’s just a first pass, and I’ll take a more careful look later. It seems odd that between two decks from two different companies that one of them wouldn’t need to be stretched a little. But this isn’t necessarily the question…
It can happen!?! You got a lucky pair of decks.
Ideally, they would ALL match up, because the length of 1 second should not be debatable, yet here we are!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.
© 2002-2021 Taperssection.com