Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Movo WST50 Ballistic Nylon Windscreens - back in stock!  (Read 8425 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: Movo WST50 Ballistic Nylon Windscreens - back in stock!
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2022, 11:14:21 AM »

[snip]..gusts of over 40+ mph.
John was singing into an SM58 and there was considerable wind rumble in his vocal mic. After the intermission he suggested to the house sound guy that they put a wind sock on the vocal mic.

https://youtu.be/zv97c3W6lw8?t=8
https://youtu.be/qFfnlYbFEiE

I had a Crown Royal bag and some gaff tape ready to offer up but the road case foam and rubber bands in the video is way more 1970 style. I have a few pics saved of foam and tape solutions from GD tapers that always cracks me up. But, you know, any port in a storm.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline tom the taper

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2022, 06:17:09 PM »
I use MK4V's.  I find the side-address diaphragms to be more susceptible to wind. I have the WST50 and BAS but can't leave dead air space at the end with the side-address.  Other than a Crown Royal bag and some gaff tape, what wind protection options are best for the V's?   

MK4V, MK41, MK2XS, AKG 414XLII, CSB
MixPre-6ii, 744t, M10, MT II, SV250, D5, D6
MixPre-2, VST62iu
NBob Actives, KCY 250/5i

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2022, 09:48:57 AM »
I use MK4V's.  I find the side-address diaphragms to be more susceptible to wind. I have the WST50 and BAS but can't leave dead air space at the end with the side-address.  Other than a Crown Royal bag and some gaff tape, what wind protection options are best for the V's?

I would recommend the Movo WST80 if the lack of dead air space at the end of the side-address has proven to be an issue.  I have MK4V's & MK41V's.  I also have Movo WST50 & WST80.

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2022, 10:02:25 AM »
There is more internal foam toward the sides than at the front end of the Movos, which is why leaving some space at the end by not inserting the microphone all the way is good practice for and end-address microphone.  Not sure if that will effect a side-address microphone or by how much, but it will be safest to leave some space at the end in that case as well.  Aren't the Vs a bit longer than the end address capsules? The WST80 is the currently-available next size up from WST50 and likely your best bet, but you may be able to get away with a fully inserted side address capsule into WST50.

Dactylus, have the WST50's worked well with your V's?

Last recording outing I crammed a side-address Naiant X8 fig-8 + miniature DPA 4098 mid/Side pair into a WST50, but it was not really long enough.  With the mid/side pair capsules correctly aligned, the rubber cuff at the back of the Movo extended a bit past the side-address openings of the fig-8, so I ended up rigging up a little wire thing to put tension on the cuff and pull back either side just enough to make sure there was no indirect occlusion out to either side.  That wouldn't be necessary with WST80, but I was trying for minimal size and had WST50 in the other mic positions.  Worked well in that regard, however there wasn't enough wind to really test the effectiveness of the wind-screening.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline tom the taper

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2022, 10:10:18 AM »
Thanks guys!  The V's seem to fit fine in the WST50's.  I think I'm gonna try the furry WS-G60's.  They're for mics up to 3.1" long the MK4V's are 2" including the KCY.  Won't get to test them for awhile
MK4V, MK41, MK2XS, AKG 414XLII, CSB
MixPre-6ii, 744t, M10, MT II, SV250, D5, D6
MixPre-2, VST62iu
NBob Actives, KCY 250/5i

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2022, 11:21:30 AM »
Should fit nicely.  Your BAS Should work fine too, except being somewhat larger and the exposed foam more susceptible to getting beat up over time.  That's my baseline against which I'm now comparing the Movos.  BAS works well and is well known and understood in taperdom, however I only recently fully realized the extent to which the black foam elastic part around the microphone body in back presents a wind-susceptibility weak point.  The rubber cuff of the Movos is likely to seal better in that regard.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com