Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: "In ear/Binaural" Mics (that look like headphones) -- options & sound quality?  (Read 3004 times)

Offline SMsound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
In another thread, someone mentioned In-Ear Binaural mics that look (and work) like headphones, but also have mics on each headphone.

I would love to grab some of these for  >:D scenarios where I can't break out the Schoeps/MixPre combo. The main application is classical/opera. I don't need them to work as headphones.

What are the options, and which ones sound best/most natural?

From the other thread, these were mentioned:
- Roland CS-10EM [2 separate 3.5mm headphone jacks---one for 2ch 'in' and one for 2ch 'out'] (probably the easiest to connect to recorders)
- Roland WPM-10 [mini USB?] (discontinued)
- OKM ear mics by soundman.de [3.5mm headphone jack---mics only not headphones] (also easy to connect to recorders, but these look like mics not headphones to me)
- Sennheiser Ambeo [Apple lightning]
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 07:27:44 AM by SMsound »
waves -> bits

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
The Sennheiser Ambeos are discounted so heavily that there is not reason not to try them for yourself if you have an iPhone or iPod. For the $39/€35 they are selling for on Amazon, they are a bargain even if you end up only use them as noice cancelling headphones.

I am not sure about the SPL at opera/classical, but if not too high the Roland CS-10EM are good but not great.

If I sit down, I normally find a pair of EM172 (discontiued in favour of EM272) equally stealth clipped on to the front of my jacket - and better sounding than the CS-10EM.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 12:30:35 PM by Niels »
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline fotoralf.be

• Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
Here's a few remarks:

- Roland WPM-10 [mini USB?] (discontinued)

They have indeed been discontinued but do sometimes show up on ebay. They were originally intended for connection to GoPro action cameras, hence the odd USB-style connector. They don't have a USB interface. Just cut off the connector, replace it by a simple 3.5 mm stereo jack, and Bob's your uncle.

- OKM ear mics by soundman.de [3.5mm headphone jack---mics only not headphones] (also easy to connect to recorders, but these look like mics not headphones to me)

They are indeed just microphones but they are acoustically transparent, so you'll still hear what's happening around you. Their audio quality is excellent but their foam cushions don't last from twelve to noon and they aren't very comfortable to wear.

- Sennheiser Ambeo [Apple lightning]

Still my favourites provided you have a iPhone or iPad.

Ralf
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 11:50:29 AM by fotoralf.be »
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline heva

• Taperssection Regular
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 03:46:49 AM by heva »

Offline to_taper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
A friend of mine in Toronto modified my old Core Sound Binaurals to fit in my ear. There was no change in the recording quality for what it's worth.

Offline bandarn

• Taperssection Newbie
Also this look like headphones:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/281640540487?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=SZcXUAHpRc6&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=CQ8jFEh1TPC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Anyone tested those for rock show?

” They provide the highest sound quality and very low distortion operation at the high sound pressure levels typical of rock concerts and motor racing (from 110 db to 140 dB SPL).”

” Quality condenser capsules (Panasonic)”

Intresting

Offline jielkade

• Taperssection Newbie
Try the Binaural omnis from Immersive Soundscapes. French handmade, good sound, good sensitivity,inexpensive, XLR or pip.

Offline bandarn

• Taperssection Newbie
Thanks! They look perfect. I hope they are not too sensitive and work well at a rock concert.

Offline sdc

• Taperssection Newbie
Try the Binaural omnis from Immersive Soundscapes. French handmade, good sound, good sensitivity,inexpensive, XLR or pip.

Those do look excellent. Have you used them?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com