Gear / Technical Help > Remote Power

DPA mma-6000 8.4V NiMH battery tests

<< < (2/2)

Gutbucket:
Very interesting, that's a significant difference compared to the standard recommendation around TS!  I must have missed your original post of that email from the service chief at Longmont, so thanks for recalling it here.  Would indeed be helpful to know the true voltage limit for powering DPA capsules without potential harm, which may conceivably be somewhat different for the miniatures vs the larger DPA capsules.

aaronji:

--- Quote from: Gutbucket on October 31, 2022, 03:01:52 PM ---Very interesting, that's a significant difference compared to the standard recommendation around TS!  I must have missed your original post of that email from the service chief at Longmont, so thanks for recalling it here.  Would indeed be helpful to know the true voltage limit for powering DPA capsules without potential harm, which may conceivably be somewhat different for the miniatures vs the larger DPA capsules.

--- End quote ---

Yes, there is a lot of contradictory information out there; the true voltage limit would be great to know. As an additional data point, I recall that somebody (I am virtually certain Jon from Naiant) took apart one of the XLR adapters and said there was an 8.2V zener diode in it.

I figure that, in the absence of something definitive, I will just use DPA power sources. Unfortunately, they don't make the MMA6000 or the various MPS60x0 boxes anymore. Given those mails from DPA, I wouldn't be uncomfortable using a typical 9V battery box, I think, if I didn't have the MPS6030.

[EDIT TO ADD:] This is the thread where I first posted those e-mails. As you will see, contradictory information in that thread as well (nearly a decade ago).

mountainhop:
old email from 2007 in my box from Joey C at DPA

Bruce was mistaken, the formula for calculating the appropriate series
resistor is: R = ((Vs - 2.5)V/0.7mA).

4061 powered by a 9v battery will require a series resistor in the 6K8 - 9K1
range.

that was in regard to the standard dpa circuit that shows 10K resistor

TBH, i have no idea what the difference between V and Vs is. my emaill showed i asked for clarification and never got a reply perhaps it was a long-forgotten phone call

the fact that "mA" is in the formula at all tells me the "V" in the equation isnt actually a variable tubo be multiplied by "(Vs-2.5)" , but is a standalone indicator of voltage indicative that we are looking for a voltage value in that line. in other wards demonstrative that its a simple R=V/I calculation, which would make the formula

R= (V-2.5)/0.7

so for a 9.0V battery:
R = (9-2.5)/0.7 =  9.28

perhaps this is some empirical equation and the 9.28 result means 9K3 which is close to the 9K1 mentioned

for a 5V that equation spiits out 3.57 (3K6?)

to get 6.8 aka 6K8 the voltage would be 7.6 - is that indicative of the tail end of a 9V alkaline

this raises more questions than answers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version