Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tripod Reccomendation (On a budget) for Taping on a beach  (Read 2231 times)

Offline ejl6495

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • My Tapes on LMA
Tripod Reccomendation (On a budget) for Taping on a beach
« on: December 09, 2022, 09:32:52 AM »
I'm taping some shows on the beach for the first time next month and looking for a solid tripod recommendation. Would like to upgrade from my current tripod anyway with something that has a little more height (Currently max out around 7.5'). I want something thats gonna be super stable in a beach environment.

Also open to accessories to add height/ stabilize my current tripod.

Thanks!

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tripod Reccomendation (On a budget) for Taping on a beach
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 11:10:21 AM »
my current tripod.

Which one do you have?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline ejl6495

• Taperssection Newbie
    • My Tapes on LMA
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 11:28:10 AM »
I have no idea. Got it at bestbuy last may don't have the box anymore / cant find a model# on it. Legs are not individually adjustable and has 3 sections that raise and lower.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 03:35:26 PM »
Search TS, there are lots of threads on mic stands.  Generally, stands intended for photographic lighting, backdrops, etc. is what most tapers are using.  They range from fancy to cheapo - I've gotten by fine with cheapo light stands for decades, as its mostly about the required height, footprint, stowed length, and fastening system at the top.  You don't need or necessarily want one that is "air cushioned" as that just slows down stand lowering and can occasionally clog making collapsing that section of the stand stand difficult.

For the beach you won't need individually adjustable legs.  I would suggest bringing a few shopping type bags you can fill with sand to anchor the stand by placing one on each leg.

The more critical concern is most likely to be if your windscreens are up to the task!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Flynn

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 01:45:01 PM »
very satisfied with my manfrotto stand. Headed to record on sand next month also.

Good call on the bags for sand weights!

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 07:35:44 AM »
I've been using this Manfrotto!  Works great and goes up 11'.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546528-REG/Manfrotto_368B_368B_Basic_Black_Light.html
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline jeenash

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 08:11:38 AM »
Maybe one of those corkscrew type beach umbrella anchors with an extension pole or 2? They hold an umbrella pole very secure even in heavy wind.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2022, 12:49:10 PM »
https://www.adorama.com/us1598726.html

I bought a used Manfrotto 1004 stand from Adorama and it was in perfect condition, so no worries about buying used from them.

Maybe one of those corkscrew type beach umbrella anchors with an extension pole or 2? They hold an umbrella pole very secure even in heavy wind.

^Agreed, if you want to go a little higher a small Manfrotto extension pole should be no problem as long as your base is stable.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline mnm207

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • website
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2022, 10:37:27 AM »
For my photo work I use a set of Manfrotto 1005BAC stands: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/609051-REG/Manfrotto_1005BAC_1005BAC_Alu_Ranker_Light.html

They come in 9' and 12' heights. They have a slightly wider leg spread than the model @jbell linked to and fold flat(ish). If you use more than one they stack together. I regularly cantilever my light heads with modifiers off of them with a short arm and they're stable so long as I keep my light pack hanging off the base--you could add an upright extension easily if you need more height.

On the beach, you might want to consider not only a sandbag but something to spread the load where the stand legs sit on the sand. Manfrotto makes these load spreaders (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5548-REG/Manfrotto_230_230_3255_All_Weather.html), but you could just use some blocks of wood or similar.
// Sony ECM-MS5 | Naiant XX | LOM Usi & mikroUsi | Ambient ATM216 // Shure FP24 // Sound Devices Mixpre-3 | Sony PCM-D100 | Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com