Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3 recording at 48khz problem  (Read 3363 times)

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
JB3 recording at 48khz problem
« on: March 07, 2005, 01:54:35 PM »
I'm trying to transfer a show onto the drive on my JB3 from dat. The dat is recorded at 48khz. I'm running through a hosa odl and into the jb3 from my dap1. It seems to record fine, but after the show is saved, the time is shortened. It shrinks from 45:00 to 29:00. Sounds like a sampling rate issue, but the jb3 says it is recording at 48khz. In the Help portion of the JB3 manual is says that it will only do 44.1 khz. The FAQ says it will do 48khz. Do I have a setting wrong? Any help is apreciated.

Also, what is the "sync" function for in the recording screen?

Thanks-Kevin
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Real men wear kilts.
Re: JB3 recording at 48khz problem
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 02:00:23 PM »
Not sure were the problem is here, but the JB3 will record in 48. It's one of the options when you record via an analog signal. Have you tried transfering the file to a computer and see what's happening, or are you just going off the time?
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 02:03:34 PM »
Not sure were the problem is here, but the JB3 will record in 48. It's one of the options when you record via an analog signal. Have you tried transfering the file to a computer and see what's happening, or are you just going off the time?

Yep, I'm going by time. I have it on my pc and will check it out later. FWIW, I'm using the opti in.

J. Spicoli

hexyjones

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 06:35:07 PM »
Just to be sure - you did see your levels moving and such? (during the transfer) and are certain you had "Optical" selected as the source...? The JB3 should just sync up to whatever the sampling rate of the source is...

If you record with the optical input - with NO - optical signal...the time will elapse very slowly - like 1 second will show on the display for every 5 seconds of recording...

The "sync" function - might be for cutting a cd into tracks as it is recorded - dividing it at the silent parts betweeen tracks...not sure what it does...but you might want to make sure it is OFF...

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 08:11:50 PM »
45 to 29 seems drastic.  Nevertheless, I've had problems transferring DATs to the JB3 when I started the DAT after the JB3.  You should start the DAT going and get past any leader tape if need be, to get the 48k subcode info going before starting the JB3 so that it reads it right.  When I've started the JB3 before the DAT, it has recorded at 44.1k even though it said it was recording at 48k.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 09:27:20 PM »
bingo, i didnt know how to say that that well todd, that should work if it was originally recorded at 48k
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 10:15:55 AM »
45 to 29 seems drastic.  Nevertheless, I've had problems transferring DATs to the JB3 when I started the DAT after the JB3.  You should start the DAT going and get past any leader tape if need be, to get the 48k subcode info going before starting the JB3 so that it reads it right.  When I've started the JB3 before the DAT, it has recorded at 44.1k even though it said it was recording at 48k.

i have had the jb3 read 44k when i know it is in fact receiving a 48k file.  the way to fix is to change the header file with cdwave or wavelab.  then the timing is corrected.

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 01:50:13 PM »

i have had the jb3 read 44k when i know it is in fact receiving a 48k file.  the way to fix is to change the header file with cdwave or wavelab.  then the timing is corrected.

Thanks for the advice. FWIW, the time goes along fine until the wave file is saved on the jb3. It counts up to 45:00, and after it saves the file the time changes to 29:00. I'll try the wavelab fix after work and report back. Thanks alot and +t's for the help all around. I have lots of dats that I'd like to transfer and for now this seems like my best bet.
J. Spicoli

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com