Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SD7xx - mount device on [s]linux[/s] ANYmachine?  (Read 10890 times)

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
Re: SD7xx - mount device on [s]linux[/s] ANYmachine?
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2005, 04:48:49 PM »
none.  i recorded 5 files yesterday off my stereo to test some stuff out and they're all now sitting on my powerbook in flac format

Me neither.  Powerbook and G5. Still waiting for them to speed them up though.  Weird thing, if I have it chained off my Lacie external, it goes faster....thought?
Southern Recording, Inc.
High Fidelity Audio Capture

Offline cascademedia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2005, 05:10:46 PM »
OK, First if you are having problems and want to pull that show off the box NOW, just do an old-fasihioned digital transfer.  I had some issues with Firewire last year and in trying to resolve them, I decided it was first best to get the important stuff off there in case I had to reformat the drive etc.

Once you get the files off there, I would start with a firmware update just to make 100% sure that you have the latest updates.

I have had absoulutely no problems in OSX transferring the files.

I did have major issues wiht XP and Firewire.   Once I got the new firmware installed, it has worked totally fine in XP.   I think its kinda weird that it appears to "lock up" when the cable is connected, but I have simply disconnected the cable after transfer and it goes back to its regular state.  In OSX, you simply drag the SD 7XX icon to the trash and it disconnects.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2005, 05:32:36 PM »
In the few cases when the 722 sees the cable attach and it puts up that display, it rarely sees the cable detach and it's just stuck in that display state with the keys locks.  I can't say if the firmware really is locked up at that point, just no response to removalof cable or key presses and only a hard power cycle leads to recovery.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2005, 06:13:24 PM »
I think for giggles I would try to reflash the firmware if at all possible.
Have you considered that yet?
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2005, 06:58:14 PM »
The reported firmware version is 1.1.5.  I could try to reflash it, but without the ability to put the update file onto the HD (or I have to go buy a CF card) I can't do an update.

Where I am at right now.  I know this is long, but I'm hoping that if someone else runs into issues, this will be documented to provide some insight.

I woke up to a 722 in a state where it would not boot.  After trying occasionally though out the day, I felt that I needed to take out the loaner drive for return to it's owner who could hopefully pull my files of the mule show.  

As a test, I booted the 722 with no media attached.  The box recovered and operation was restored (although without storage).  I hot plugged the FW cable and it attached to the PC, pulled the FW cable and is detached.  Seems to work as expected and no issues with freezing.  It would not attach on power up with the cable inserted, but only when the cable was inserted after boot.  But in each case (about a dozen trials) the attach/detach operation was a success.  (Explorer showed nothing because there was no file system to read).

So I reattached the drive to see if there was any chance that it was not corrupted.  Guess what?  The 722 booted and the operation was as expected - files could be seen on the drive and headphone playback verified that the files were good.  I attached the firewire cable and holy shit it worked.  I was able to navigate the file structure.  Going for gold (because I've always felt that you don't win a silver, you lose the gold), I used explorer to copy the files.  File copy was a success and I now have 2.16G and 3.06G wave files on my desktop.  Better yet, they are uncorrupted and for those of you concerned about opening large files, Audacity read them in with no problem at all!  Right now though my horrible littel PC speakers is sweet glorious 24-bit Mule and there is deep bass coming out the subwoofer.

I don't know what is the reason for the corrected behavior, but hopefully it will continue.  Now I am going to install my 80G drive and see if I can pull those files from last week.  

I may have these ready for distribution by thursday if I can get time to track them out.   I did not run the V3 comparisson that I was originally planning.  I just wanted it to be simple on the first real run.  So someone has a server to offer I can up load them or offer B&P to people who are interested in hearing the results.

BTW, Boogie, that's me.  I became El Barto when the 722 arrived.  Maynard was a DAT taper.  Maynard is dead.  Long live El Barto.

At the time I reported to you, I was seeing really promising behavior when I initially installed a smaller drive, but after I got files recorded to it, it behaved no differently than the 80G drive - maybe even worse with respect to the "freeze" on hotplug of the firewire.

I agree that there may be a compatability issue with firewire controller.  I know that there are issues between different devices, but this controller does work with my external harddrive.  Also I tried on another machine/another controller and saw the same issues.  I'm going to see where this goes.  Hopefully it will continue to be stable.  I'm taking it to ssome other machines for testing later this week.

BTW, I worked late and missed the depot so I'll have something going out for you tomorrow morning.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2005, 03:30:37 PM »
Follow up:

I returned the unit to SD for service.  They found an intermittant problem with the firewire controller that was causing the lack of connectivity and the lock-ups.  It has been repaired.  Right out of the box it seems to be working well.

The SD service department kicks ass.  They called to keep me updated on each step of the service process.  They turned it around in one day.

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2005, 03:32:36 PM »
Follow up:

I returned the unit to SD for service.  They found an intermittant problem with the firewire controller that was causing the lack of connectivity and the lock-ups.  It has been repaired.  Right out of the box it seems to be working well.

The SD service department kicks ass.  They called to keep me updated on each step of the service process.  They turned it around in one day.
That is awesome.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com