Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: dvda + Sacd on its way out PT 2  (Read 9241 times)

Offline 1st set only

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
dvda + Sacd on its way out PT 2
« on: March 29, 2005, 03:56:31 PM »
just went to bestbuy to pickup the new beck Guero dvda/cd. its great by the way!!!

they said that bestbuy will not order anymore dvdas and sacds. good thing this release is a bundled package(cd/dvda). do you all think that this will be the only way hi res music will be released in the future?
the show is over go home please.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
Re: dvda + Sacd on its way out PT 2
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 04:03:06 PM »
off subject a little - is the guero dvd really dvda - i thought it was just dvdv - thats cool if it is.  also, how much was it?  they never listed the price in the ad.

wow, i can't believe they won't order anymore.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 06:24:20 PM »
Dave Matthews is doing the smae thing on their new disc...really a great marketing strategy imo...I think it was like $15 for the dual DVDa/CD

radioboy1977

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 07:17:28 PM »

they said that bestbuy will not order anymore dvdas and sacds. good thing this release is a bundled package(cd/dvda). do you all think that this will be the only way hi res music will be released in the future?

that doesn't surprise me.  i don't think any of the best buys around me have stocked a new dvda or sacd title in over a year.  i get all my albums from www.acousticsounds.com or amazon.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 07:34:54 PM »
of course most people shop for music at the big box stores... so if they are giving up on DVDA and SACD it's a pretty good sign that both markets are on the way out.

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

BobW

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 07:36:33 PM »
Dual Disk is fine by me, but folks on AudioAsylum claim that it can cause incompatibility issues.
Also be aware that the DualDisc standard does NOT specify DVD-Audio, just "something" DVD, even video or AC-3 crap.

See the thread on the exciting news about dvd-authoring freeware in the works.
I was able to make TS_Audio files from a Tony Trischka 24/96 (upsampled from 48) file.
So far, I can't get the ISO that I burned with it to play nice with my HK DVD-A.
It may be the disk, I need to get to compusa or stapleds for media.

radioboy1977

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 07:41:20 PM »
of course most people shop for music at the big box stores... so if they are giving up on DVDA and SACD it's a pretty good sign that both markets are on the way out.

i don't know, tim.  i was just doing some poking around at acousticsounds.com and it seems like there's a ton of classical music and the like being released on sacd.  it seems to me that it may end up becoming a niche market like vinyl has.  dvda, on the other hand, seems to stick more to popular music.  i'd say sacd will probably stick around, but not dvda.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 07:48:58 PM »
I'm pretty sure one of the hi-fi rags was saying that even Sony owned labels have stopped putting out SACD's... I'll see if I can find some support for that :P

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 07:49:43 PM »
I actually prefer the sacds I have heard over the dvd-a format..it may just be the titles, but the sacd titles sound richer to me

BobW

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2005, 10:29:53 PM »
I actually prefer the sacds I have heard over the dvd-a format..it may just be the titles, but the sacd titles sound richer to me

SACD fluffers will claim it is from the 1-bit DSD stream and lack of need for a COMB filter.
I doubt that either has an inherent advantage and the greatest difference is in the playback gear and the mastering.

My main complaint about SACD is that you will probably never be able to burn one.  That sucks.

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 10:57:08 AM »
Anyone know about this JVC format called XRCD? It's "eXtended Resolution CD", and not able to find much info. about it. Is it only playable on JVC player?

As far as SACD, I think it blows everything else out of the water so far! I am hoping that we will be able to burn them sometime since Tascam has released that DSD recorder, but the sample rates won't reach as high as standard SACD! Maybe Sony and/or Phillips will finally give in and let up on their stronghold of the SACD format!

I think DVD-A is going to be fine for me for a while. I still like it for my purposes of putting two full shows in 16/48 from DAT on one disc for my listening purposes! Very convenient for me if I want to listen to any of my DATs without further destroying my DATs or my DAT player!

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 11:10:50 AM »
i always thought the hybrid was a good idea; it is too bad that didnt catch on...

hopefully in the fall, or next year, whenever the stones kick off the tour, the rolling stones records catalog will get the hybrid sacd treatment, just like the abkco catalog rec'd three years ago...

i love the sacd thing - and some of the titles i have come across (most recently nuddy waters' "folk singer") are absolutely phenomenal...

i do think that some smaller labels will keep producing sacds, even if sony doesnt. like msfl and the folks that bankrolled the yo! miles releases. those small companies have spent entirely too much money to get the sacd licensing and production squared away just to abandon it now. and that is fine with me - a few reissues and ...

not to mention that for the calssical music set - the format seems to be dominant. those releases will continue for quite some time...

i also think that it is currently THE way to transfer analog > digital, and i thinnk there is an untapped reissue market there...

but i think the chances of seeing new, mainstream releases on sacd are getting smaller by the day...

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2005, 12:12:34 PM »
off subject a little - is the guero dvd really dvda - i thought it was just dvdv - thats cool if it is.  also, how much was it?  they never listed the price in the ad.

wow, i can't believe they won't order anymore.

I believe it is a dvd and dvda at the same time. it has 24/48 files as well as PCM 2.0 and  a normal 5.1 mix on the same disc
my dvd player says DVD adudio when it gets popped in.

the show is over go home please.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2005, 01:25:08 PM »
Dual Disk is fine by me, but folks on AudioAsylum claim that it can cause incompatibility issues.
Also be aware that the DualDisc standard does NOT specify DVD-Audio, just "something" DVD, even video or AC-3 crap.

See the thread on the exciting news about dvd-authoring freeware in the works.
I was able to make TS_Audio files from a Tony Trischka 24/96 (upsampled from 48) file.
So far, I can't get the ISO that I burned with it to play nice with my HK DVD-A.
It may be the disk, I need to get to compusa or stapleds for media.

how are you making the iso?  just wondering if i can find something wrong in what you're doing and help out

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2005, 03:28:15 PM »
Anyone know about this JVC format called XRCD? It's "eXtended Resolution CD", and not able to find much info. about it. Is it only playable on JVC player?

XRCD isn't really a format, just a different way of mastering (or remastering) cds, from my understanding.  I own a Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" xrcd and i cannot tell the difference between it and the regular $10 cd that was remastered recently.  The xrcd cost me $30...at least the packaging is cool.  If you want, i can scan and host the booklet inside that shows the process JVC follows for mastering their xrcd's.  On the other hand, those mfsl mastered cd's do sound different than the regular aluminum cds. 
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com