Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do you have to reformat your 4GB compact flash card before every show?  (Read 3390 times)

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
The reason why I ask is because my R-1 stopped recording mid-show last night even though I had less than 2 GB written to a 4 GB card. But the night before, I was able to create a 1 GB file followed by a 1.5 GB file. The only difference was that I reformatted the compact flash card before the show on Tuesday and only deleted the 2.5 GB files from the card and didn't do a reformat before the show last night.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
can it record more than 2 GB at a shot?  I suffered through that problem with my 24bit multitrack rig.  The limit of a basic wav file is 2GB.  I have however never used a flash card, but it may be a wav size issue.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Govt Mule

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Not on my 671, but it auto-splits at 2 hours.
Water tastes funny when you're far from your home, But it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam.- John Prine

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
The reason why I ask is because my R-1 stopped recording mid-show last night even though I had less than 2 GB written to a 4 GB card. But the night before, I was able to create a 1 GB file followed by a 1.5 GB file. The only difference was that I reformatted the compact flash card before the show on Tuesday and only deleted the 2.5 GB files from the card and didn't do a reformat before the show last night.

How did you delete them last night?  Windows machine?  It could be that you sent them to the "trash can" instead of a full delete which may simply dump them into a temporary file on your CF card until you "empty your trash can".
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
How did you delete them last night?  Windows machine?  It could be that you sent them to the "trash can" instead of a full delete which may simply dump them into a temporary file on your CF card until you "empty your trash can".

This is in line with what I was thinking when it happened. 2.5 GB in the trashcan and I got about 1:45 at 24/44 when it stopped letting me open a new file.

And for those that don't know, the R-1 is limited by the 2GB file limit so I have been starting a new file at the encore break if not before. The only time I screwed up a show because of this was when the band's main set exceeded 2 hrs and I didn't start a new file at 1:45 when I had the chance.

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
Yes, definitely reformat before every show.  I don't know about the R-1, but with my PDA rig it is best to format FAT16 w/64kb clusters.

Also, I don't know what the origin of the 2 GB limit for wav files is, but it is not inherent in the wav format.  The max file size on my rig (using the Live2496 software) is 4 GB.  I routinely make recordings larger than 2 gig.  However, I have found that Wavelab won't open files larger than 2 gig.  Other software, like Goldwave and CD Wave, have no problems with wav files larger than 2 gig.
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
Next time use SHIFT-DELETE instead of just pressing delete.  That will delete them directly without a trip to the trash can.

They still might exist as "ghost" temporary files until the garbage collector comes so to be safe I'd configure Windows Explorer to show hidden files.  It will then appear as a sort of transparant file and may have a ~filename.ext naming to it (~ or $ or something in front of the real filename).  You can then delete this temp file as well to ensure it's "gone for good"

(from windows XP) --->    Tools > Folder Options > View  make sure that "Show hidden files and folders" is checked.   
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
In the wave header, the maximum "size" information that it can hold to describe the data is 4 bytes (32-bits). A 32-bit value can address up to 4 GB worth of data:  (2^32) / (1024^3) = 4.

However, many programs interpret this 4-byte (32-bit) number as a signed number, meaning that one bit is used for the sign (or 2's compliment, not sure how they're written). In that case, there are only 31 bits to address the file (half as many as before. (2^31) / (1024^3) = 2.
Out of the game … for now?

BobW

Reformat your media before hitting the field.
The FR-2 has two options, Optimize media and Reformat media.
I've always done both prior to use and I can record 24/96 without difficulty on Toshiba 5GB PCMCIA drives.

Use any native utilities on your recorder first. 
The manufacturer should know their box best.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com