Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Re: M Audio Flash Tracker Recorder Update  (Read 30536 times)

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: M Audio Flash Tracker Recorder Update
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2005, 11:47:16 AM »
am I misreading your message, or are you saying that the speed of the card does not mean how quickly data is written to the card, but only how quickly data is read FROM the card?

there's a read rate and a write rate.

what i was saying was i'm sure almost any card on the market can sustain a 24/96 write (or at least i'd assume -- if a 5400 rpm laptop hard drive can do it, after all...).  what really matters more to me is the rate at which data can be read from the card!

sorry if my earlier post was unclear -- bottom line, check the technical specs of any card before purchasing!

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2005, 12:22:14 PM »
am I misreading your message, or are you saying that the speed of the card does not mean how quickly data is written to the card, but only how quickly data is read FROM the card?

there's a read rate and a write rate.

what i was saying was i'm sure almost any card on the market can sustain a 24/96 write (or at least i'd assume -- if a 5400 rpm laptop hard drive can do it, after all...).  what really matters more to me is the rate at which data can be read from the card!

sorry if my earlier post was unclear -- bottom line, check the technical specs of any card before purchasing!

nah man the post was totally clear, I just didn't think that was the case, but its cool that it is.

+T
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2005, 01:09:11 PM »
what i was saying was i'm sure almost any card on the market can sustain a 24/96 write (or at least i'd assume -- if a 5400 rpm laptop hard drive can do it, after all...).

Nope.  They vary.  It becomes a serious issue on digital cameras when you want to shoot constantly at 3 frames/sec or whatever (especially with larger image formats like TIFF).

This particular card is quite fast and should be okay.  But that isn't the case with all of them.

This site has good info that is specific to the Nikon D70 but should give you an idea.  It is important to note that the write performance depends greatly on the size of the write and how it is implemented in the device.  We'll assume that the FT is fairly well optimized but it may not write as quickly as the D70, etc.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6816

24/96 is about .55 MB/second.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2005, 01:15:01 PM »
24/96 is about .55 MB/second.

yup, and I think the Sandisk "Ultra II" series has a 9 MB/sec write rate and 10 MB/sec read rate (don't quote me on that, but that's what I recall, and I've been looking around the past couple of days).  This is way above the .55 MB/sec needed for 24/96 .wav files, so even a "slower" card could probably keep up with 24/96 data.

here is a good link with file sizes at different bit depths and sample rates:

http://24bit.turtleside.com/pcm.wav.file.sizes.pdf

that table shows MB/Hour, MB/sec, and GB/hour

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2005, 01:21:13 PM »
Let's also not forget that it is highly likely that this unit will be compatible with MicroDrives as well.  Looking on B & H Photo I found this deal as a reference for microdrives.

Hitachi 6GB Microdrive 3K4 with Travel Kit and PCMCIA Adapter - MD6GBA  for $269

This is just one example of themicrodrives which I think in general are less expensive than most CompactFlash II memory.  Here is a link to a froogle page with some more reference on prices for these drives:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Microdrive&btnG=Search+Froogle

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2005, 01:41:54 PM »
The microdrives draw quite a bit more power.  I wouldn't want to use them for that reason alone.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2005, 01:48:47 PM »
I'd expect it will be.  Though I recall some folks complaining about problems with microdrives when doing PDA recording at 24/96.  I'll pay the price difference for Flash so I don't have to worry about heat and vibration.  Do the MD's use more power?

yeah, MicroDries are less stable, and they use more power, because of the small spinning harddrive.  CF cards use less power and are less prone to vibration problems (no moving parts).  I agree with you that I'd rather pay the price difference for some piece of mind when recording. :)

Another hope is that you can record to USB mass storage devices via the USB port.

not too likely, because I doubt it's a USB host.  but on the other hand, you could buy an "on-the-go" storage device and dump the recordings to that between sets.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
Re: Re: M Audio Flash Tracker Recorder Update
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2005, 02:15:29 PM »
Microdrives also have a much higher rate of failure.  I will definitely not be purchasing a microdrive. ;)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Colin Liston

« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2005, 03:49:05 PM »
So...who will be making the RCA > XLR dongle for this thing?

I'll need a short RCA>XLR for stealthing.

Anyone Anyone?

colin
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2005, 03:56:11 PM »
RCA > XLR?? Going out of the Tracker to what? Seems like your adding gear.
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline IowaClint

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2005, 04:02:29 PM »
I record using a PDA.  Never had a write or read failure on my hitachi microdrives.  I haven't done 24/96 on them though, just 24/48.  After a few shows I re-format and cluster them.   Also, never had a vibration issue either.  Power, I use a battery extender and 4 AA's and never had a power issue.  I have even ran without it and with the HP dual slot and Ipaq battery never ran even close to running out of power.  Just my .02  
Clint

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2005, 04:08:09 PM »

for what purpose?
the inputs on the Tracker/MicroTrack are (2x)1/4" TRS w/ phantom or coax S/PDIF.
if you are referring to hooking your mics into the unit, you just need an adapter that converts each XLR to a 1/4" TRS.

the RCAs on the unit are analog outputs

the water's clean and innocent

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2005, 04:09:52 PM »

for what purpose?
the inputs on the Tracker/MicroTrack are (2x)1/4" TRS w/ phantom or coax S/PDIF.
if you are referring to hooking your mics into the unit, you just need an adapter that converts each XLR to a 1/4" TRS.

the RCAs on the unit are analog outputs

exactly what I am asking.
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: Re: M Audio Flash Tracker Recorder Update
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2005, 04:21:42 PM »
Microdrives also have a much higher rate of failure.  I will definitely not be purchasing a microdrive. ;)

I have never had one single problem with either heat or vibration with my IBM Microdrive.  I'd love to see where you get your information. about reliability?

Offline Colin Liston

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2005, 04:23:21 PM »
That's what I want, mics with XLR end > RCA > flash tracker

I would like a short RCA > XLR adapter. 

Where do they sell them?
Occasionally....music mics record

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com