Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Suggestion about recorder  (Read 3624 times)

Offline baicin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Suggestion about recorder
« on: June 15, 2005, 07:23:32 AM »
hello,i'm from italy and I'm total a newby.
I have to decide if to buy a nomad jukebox 3 ,or a sony md rec., or a sharp md rec. ....wich is the best?

My aim is to record indie rock / pop concert.

Could you help me with suggestions about what to buy ( rec, mic...).
I don't have lots of money to spend.
Thanks

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Re: Suggestion about recorder
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 08:19:28 AM »
nomad jukebox 3, without a doubt, do a search if you want to see reasons why people love it
mics & cameras

Offline baicin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 08:27:30 AM »
and can you also give me suggestion about :
- how much is a good price for a new and used one (i only found on  ebay)
-the other equipment neccesary to record a good quality concert. my budget for other equipment is about 100 euro=125 dollars

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 12:58:41 PM »
Check out this post as far as what gear you can get for your budget http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=35004.0

These posts should answer most of your questions http://taperssection.com/index.php?board=46.0

The search function is also great for learning.

Benvenuti a ts.com
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 01:58:12 PM »
nomad jukebox 3, without a doubt, do a search if you want to see reasons why people love it

As I've stated when folks recommend the JB3, I'm a bit worried about the ROI on the device. It has zero chance of having a product roadmap (ie. It's dead.), parts are starting to get hard to find. I'm not sure I agree with everybody that this is the device to get. Yes, it is a great product, but the writing is on the wall and it won't be long now before you won't be able to get most parts ... just read the old threads where folks haven't been able to get batteries and when people have sent in their JB3, they were told it couldn't be fixed, so they offered them a "replacement"...

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 02:24:53 PM »
yeah, but not everyone can afford a DEVA IV - the JB3 is what it is, a cheap consumer, 16/44.1 recorder with digital input.  It encodes 1s and 0s just like all of the other recorders do - and for the price they have been available at for a while now, nothing beats it. Sure, it may be that there is not a JB3 around in a section in 5-10 years, but for now it is a relatively affordable means to an end.  it is also just a matter of time before we don't see any DAT decks around as most of them have been discontinued, but people still buy them, and the operating cost involved with DAT is much higher than JB3.

When i can afford to buy a cantar X, i will upgrade.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2005, 02:55:20 PM »
difference between a dat and jb3 is you can find someone (and extremely capable someone in prodigital) to service the dats...the JB3, unless you are lucky enough to have an electrically inclined friend who can fix it, is more likley to become a door stop

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 09:20:52 AM »
yeah, but not everyone can afford a DEVA IV - the JB3 is what it is, a cheap consumer, 16/44.1 recorder with digital input.  It encodes 1s and 0s just like all of the other recorders do - and for the price they have been available at for a while now, nothing beats it. Sure, it may be that there is not a JB3 around in a section in 5-10 years, but for now it is a relatively affordable means to an end.  it is also just a matter of time before we don't see any DAT decks around as most of them have been discontinued, but people still buy them, and the operating cost involved with DAT is much higher than JB3.

When i can afford to buy a cantar X, i will upgrade.

I don't think I ever said anything about what to replace it with. The problem is they are NOT being repaired by creative any longer, nor is creative selling the batteries, it is for all intents and purposes a dead product. My suggestion was and still is to simply survey the land over the next 6 months. There are a lot of inexpensive devices coming down the pipeline that look to be winners.

When you can afford the Cantar, you let me know. I'll point you to several "top dogs" in the film industry who will tell you to save your money. It's a cool looking device, but that's about it. The ergonomics of it suck and that 99% of the game.

Wayne

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 11:01:18 AM »

When you can afford the Cantar, you let me know. I'll point you to several "top dogs" in the film industry who will tell you to save your money. It's a cool looking device, but that's about it. The ergonomics of it suck and that 99% of the game.

Wayne

That is funny, because Aaton touts it as having good controls...  So, the Deva IV looks nice... I wonder what will be around in about 1.5 years... that is the time frame I will either have enough money set aside for either a house downpayment or one of these recorders.

from the cantar/aaton website...
All weather controls

Even when the recordist has gloves on, Cantar's large rotating knobs allow him to browse the headphone grids, check input solos, foldback, line-out, etc.
A unique feature of Cantar is its waterproof, sandproof linear faders which dynamically set the postfader gain applied to each digital channel in the mixdown. An example of Aaton's attention to mechanical sturdiness: the mic-faders have their own friction pads and blocking stops to protect them from rough treatment.

Easy monitoring

Since the human eye better responds to changing angles (ten o'clock, five o'clock...), the Cantar circular modulometers are particularly easy to monitor; their ballistics perfectly emulate needle galvanometers.
The circular screens' dots and icons clearly display the monitoring grids, pan pot values, and input-to-track routings. They also constantly monitor the internal and external hard drives as well as DVD burning activity. The rectangular screen displays the Xa Xb channel levels plus useful data such as remaining disk space, battery voltage, scene IDs, and fader gain values down to the dB whenever a rotary or linear knob is actuated. The swivelling front panel provides an optimal viewing angle for both over the shoulder and cart use. Last but not the least the Cantar high contrast LCDs remain perfectly visible on a snow field under bright sunlight.

also -

I don't think I ever said anything about what to replace it with

i should have put a  ;) by my comment about not everyone being able to afford the deva...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 11:02:56 AM by keepongoin' »
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 12:29:13 PM »

That is funny, because Aaton touts it as having good controls...  So, the Deva IV looks nice... I wonder what will be around in about 1.5 years... that is the time frame I will either have enough money set aside for either a house downpayment or one of these recorders.

from the cantar/aaton website...
<comments fron aanton cut>

Don't know about the price. They did just announce a price increase of $1K USD for both the Deva IV and V.

The thing is Zaxcom, Aanton, Sony, and <insert company here>, can claim what they want. It's when people use it that they find out the ins and outs of a piece of equipment. One of major gripes with the Deva (yep, I have some), is that I can't change the routing of the output when I'm recording. So, for example a few months ago when I was at a festival and we had our board feed cut by Bela Fleck's soundman, and I was scrambling around to feed the video crew, I had to change some of my analog outputs. I had to stop the recorder, make the changes and then start it all back up. Took my about 20 seconds to do that. I only have a 10 second buffer, so the festival's archival copy of the show has a 10 second break in it...( I was at least smart enough to wait until a song break)...

For the record, I think the JB3 is a fine device. It has served the recording community well, but if it breaks you're toast. That's all I'm saying. The ROI may or may not be there for you.

Wayne

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 01:29:33 PM »

...I will either have enough money set aside for either a house downpayment or one of these recorders.

Spoken like a taper with is priorities straight!  ;D
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com