Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How does a mixer fit in?  (Read 4822 times)

Offline Wes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
How does a mixer fit in?
« on: July 18, 2003, 11:19:41 AM »
Sorry if this seems stupid.

I've been looking at the Sound devices 302 mixer was thinking how if I mixed an omni and 2 cards or hypers, the omni should extend the lower frequencies and provide a more natural recording.  So if I did a 3 mic mix using the 302, would I have to use the 302 to apply gain?  I would like to wait to apply gain with the v3.  Is there anyway to do the mixing without apply gain?

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/302master.htm

This looks so sweet:
Schoeps mk4/2h>sd302>v3
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

DaryanLenz

Re:How does a mixer fit in?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2003, 11:34:15 AM »
Couldn't you just run the thing at no gian?  I dunno, just guessing.  It looks really cool though!

daryan

Offline The Rev. Bigbill

• Taperssection Member
  • SEXY TIME
    • the hedgehog
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2003, 12:01:34 PM »
Hey wes go over to oade and look at the mic set up faq they alk about cards w omni
This Lebowski, he called himself the Dude.Now, Dude, that's a name no one would self-apply where I come from. But then, there was a lot about the Dude that didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. And a lot about where he lived, like- wise. But then again, maybe that's why I found the place s'durned innarestin'.

Offline The Rev. Bigbill

• Taperssection Member
  • SEXY TIME
    • the hedgehog
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2003, 12:02:50 PM »
lots of people on dead tour used to use a NAK three channel pre or mix or something back in the day it was the shizz
This Lebowski, he called himself the Dude.Now, Dude, that's a name no one would self-apply where I come from. But then, there was a lot about the Dude that didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. And a lot about where he lived, like- wise. But then again, maybe that's why I found the place s'durned innarestin'.

Offline Wes

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2003, 12:15:38 PM »
Oade did confirm my theory that mixing an omni with 2 cards/hypers will produce a more natural recording.  I don't believe there is anyway to get around using the pre in the sd mixer, thats the only downside to it.. i'm not a big fan of the sd pre-amps

Bill, Will I be seeing you in Mobile tonight?  Is trey coming?
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2003, 12:16:26 PM »
Talk to Leftover Sammy or Wayne Brisette (Wayne is on this board).  Sammy runs the MX-100 with a Nak setup and Wayne runs some ungodly combination of a Wendt mixer, an AD2K+, and four Earthworks mics.  I saw all of Wayne's gear at GOTV and I must say that I am not intelligent enough to actually run that combination at a show.  I will bet Wayne's tapes sound ungodly good, though.  I have not heard any of Sammy's tapes, but I will bet they sound great as well.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2003, 12:53:02 PM »
Some others have been experimenting with the UA-5 for 3 mix mixes as well, FWIW.. but YMMV :)

Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2003, 06:49:53 PM »
robert kwan uses the v2 into the sd 442 all the time.  he could probably answer your questions.  he runs around over on oade.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • I am a real American
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2003, 02:39:26 AM »
Wayne runs some ungodly combination of a Wendt mixer, an AD2K+, and four Earthworks mics.  I saw all of Wayne's gear at GOTV and I must say that I am not intelligent enough to actually run that combination at a show.  I will bet Wayne's tapes sound ungodly good, though.  I have not heard any of Sammy's tapes, but I will bet they sound great as well.

I can second this.........Amazing tapes.  He taped this bluegraa band called coopers uncle.  It was an amazing recording.  

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2003, 12:56:12 PM »
Talk to Leftover Sammy or Wayne Brisette (Wayne is on this board).  Sammy runs the MX-100 with a Nak setup and Wayne runs some ungodly combination of a Wendt mixer, an AD2K+, and four Earthworks mics.  I saw all of Wayne's gear at GOTV and I must say that I am not intelligent enough to actually run that combination at a show.  I will bet Wayne's tapes sound ungodly good, though.  I have not heard any of Sammy's tapes, but I will bet they sound great as well.

Just got back from the northeast on Saturday. I shipped all my gear back via UPS ground, so I haven't even heard any of my tapes from the vibe.

Anyhow to answer the mixing questions. You could (and should) mix prior to the V2. You do have the option of not providing gain on most ENG mixers. In my case I have to apply gain from the mixer since the AD2K+ doesn't allow me to adjust that. Let me know if you have any other questions about mixing or running this sort of mix. With the rain at the Gathering of the Vibes I had to run a 3 mic configuration at times.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com