Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: which way should I hookup this sub?  (Read 4101 times)

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
which way should I hookup this sub?
« on: July 25, 2005, 12:40:08 AM »
I'm using a two channel amp. There's a diagram on the back of the sub but it looks different from the diagram in the owner's manual. Thanks.
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
Re: which way should I hookup this sub?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 12:53:03 AM »
The diagram makes it look like you should run the sub between the L/R speakers and the amp...that's new to me.  Does your reciever have a sub line input similiar to a surround setup or just standard speaker inputs?  Maybe just plug some wires in and see what configuration works?  Someone more familiar can help better hopefully.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline fsulloway

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 02:47:59 PM »
I just got off the phone w/ a Paradigm dealer and he says that either way of running the speaker wire will work. He also said he wished they would pick one diagram and stick to it as he gets calls like mine all the time. ::)  +T to you both for your effort.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 02:50:40 PM by fsulloway »
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 02:59:36 PM »
frank:

I presume that your amp lacks preamp outs (usually bridged to the power amp inputs on the back using a metal loop that looks like a fat staple).  If you do have such connections, you'd likely be a lot better off running the preamp out > subwoofer low level ins (via rca connectors) and then running the subwoofer's high pass out back to your amp's power amp input.

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 03:24:14 PM »
Which Paradigm sub is that? If you get a chance let us know what you think of it, I have been sub shopping these days....   ;D

Offline fsulloway

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 04:43:39 PM »
frank:

I presume that your amp lacks preamp outs (usually bridged to the power amp inputs on the back using a metal loop that looks like a fat staple).  If you do have such connections, you'd likely be a lot better off running the preamp out > subwoofer low level ins (via rca connectors) and then running the subwoofer's high pass out back to your amp's power amp input.

Correct. Here are my two options until the money tree sprouts some new bills. I've got a Denon 5.1  that has speaker level outputs to a center, two rear and the two front speakers. My other option is another Denon that is just 2 channel also with no pre outs.

Ben- the sub is the Paradigm ps1000 and I've got their Titans as the left and right. I need to get another amp so that I can use the high pass output otherwise I see myself blowing the Titans.
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 04:53:02 PM »
Here are my two options until the money tree sprouts some new bills. I've got a Denon 5.1  that has speaker level outputs to a center, two rear and the two front speakers. My other option is another Denon that is just 2 channel also with no pre outs.

Ben- the sub is the Paradigm ps1000 and I've got their Titans as the left and right. I need to get another amp so that I can use the high pass output otherwise I see myself blowing the Titans.

Does your Demon Denon 5.1 receiver not have a LFE channel line level out?  You could run that directly to your sub.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 04:55:02 PM by Lil' Kim Jong-Il »
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 05:14:11 PM »
Here are my two options until the money tree sprouts some new bills. I've got a Denon 5.1  that has speaker level outputs to a center, two rear and the two front speakers. My other option is another Denon that is just 2 channel also with no pre outs.

Does your Demon Denon 5.1 receiver not have a LFE channel line level out?  You could run that directly to your sub.

Is running one's receiver LFE sub line out generally considered better than running a regular line out to the sub in and then taking the high pass output from the sub? Just curious ... Guess this might also depend on your receiver and how sophisticated the roll-off options are, but just wondering what the more experienced sub users think of this.

My system could definitely use a sub too, I have already blown my Paradigm Active 20's, not sure how the hell that happened since I would think there should be some protective circuitry in the electronics, but I managed to do it anyway. Damn Huntsville 4-17-99 Tallboy...    :P     ;D

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 05:14:53 PM »
R mono

edited to add this is only if your amp has a LFE output(single rca type cable)

sorry to confuse
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 05:17:32 PM by Mojowill »
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline fsulloway

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 05:16:00 PM »

Here's the back of the receiver. I take it you don't care for the Demon's? ;)
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 06:48:09 PM »
IMO it is better to use the LFE channel than the HPF in the sub.  The quality of the HPF in the sub may be decent, but you are still putting a lot of extra interconnect and an additional active stage in the signal path to the main speakers.   That is bound to degrade the mains.   In general, subs include a HPF (or a speaker tap) as a way to integrate with 2-channel systems.  For theater I'd go with the LFE out and allow the receiver to act as the filter and amange the crossover points.  But thats just me. 

fsulloway: 
I couldn't very well read the labels in that image.   It looks like there is no 5.1 line level outs so LFE is not an option.   It also looks like there is no preamp out for the main channels.  So maybe the HPF is not an option anyway.   It looks as if the only option is to use the speaker tap and route your speaker cables to the sub and then to the speakers.  Of course this affects the ability to place the sub, or you have to get very long speaker cables.   

If I'm misreading the image you posted, adjust accordingly.

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2005, 08:54:28 PM »
Is there any reason why he shouldn't use the tape out?

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 09:38:13 PM »
I thought about that. 

The tape out is usually a fixed line level signal that does not follow the volume control.  He could use the tape out to the line input of the sub, but the problem is that the sub would then produce the bass at the volume of the tapeout signal at all times.   So there would be some receiver volume setting at which the mains and the sub would be properly integrated, but for every other volume the sub and the mains would be out of balance and I think that the result would not be very good.   Imagine playing the mains at a low volume and the sub over powering the room.

He could put an inline attenuator between the tapeout and the sub and try to achieve balance at his normal listening level.  That would almost fix the integration problem but the sub would still not be matched at other volume settings.  At quiet volumes the sub would be less overpowering and at high volumes the sub would be underpowered.   Using the controls on the sub to shift the crossover point and adjust the subamp gain might achieve a closer match.  But I hesitated to mention this option just because it seemed like a lot of work with little potential upside compared to just using the speaker tap.

If one were to try this, it's best to use both R+L channels to the sub so that all the LF info gets sent there.  Running just one channel does not replace an LFE channel.

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 10:41:40 PM »
so, amp spk out> sub spk in> sub spk out> spk
we all live downstream.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com