Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Yay...new tube amp!  (Read 3792 times)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Yay...new tube amp!
« on: September 12, 2005, 08:27:57 PM »
I also posted this at head-fi, but wanted to share in the celebration:

Damn, is this thing sweet!

Eye candy:

Nice eh?  I contact Joe Sagan of Blueberry audio about a month ago to build one.  After nearly dropping out of commissioning him, i went forth with getting the amp built and i am truely digging it!  It sounds great with my SR-100's, warm yet very detailed.  Currently listening to Diana Krall's "The girl in the other room" sacd, red book layer.  I can't wait to try it out with my HD-580's!  Believe it or not, i think i'm gonna pack up my Baby O for a little while and give the SR-100's and HD-580's some more listening time.  It should be interesting to see how the Baby O's will sound like in a month when i set them back up.  I'm waiting for Joe to send me a spec sheet for all you hardware types, enjoy the pics and feel free to post q's and comments   :D
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Yay...new tube amp!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 09:08:11 PM »
I was wondering...what are the benefits of listening to music over headphones for an extended period of time??isnt a full blownsystem better??i dont know anything about this stuff...just curious.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 09:54:54 PM »
I was wondering...what are the benefits of listening to music over headphones for an extended period of time??isnt a full blownsystem better??i dont know anything about this stuff...just curious.

You gotta hear music on a sweet pair of headphones...  I have a pair of 7506's, and they are low-end "nice" headphones, and they even sound super awesome to my ears.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 10:04:34 PM »
With head phones you get no interference from the room so the sound is naturally cleaner - there is no bass suckout or reflections due to a bad room design.  You can use lower powered amps.  Many of very highly regarded tube amp designs are very low wattage and you don't need much power to drive head phones.  I'm sure that there are more reasons, but those are the two I know.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Ray76

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 10:11:00 PM »
With head phones you get no interference from the room so the sound is naturally cleaner - there is no bass suckout or reflections due to a bad room design.  You can use lower powered amps.  Many of very highly regarded tube amp designs are very low wattage and you don't need much power to drive head phones.  I'm sure that there are more reasons, but those are the two I know.

Thanks Micheal.

Ray76

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 10:12:27 PM »

You gotta hear music on a sweet pair of headphones...  I have a pair of 7506's, and they are low-end "nice" headphones, and they even sound super awesome to my ears.

and thank you Pfife!

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 10:28:23 PM »
after I got these headphones, it made almost all systems that I heard sound like there were huge thick dampening blankets over the speakers.  The difference in clarity is really surprising....  It will also turn you into a complete audiophile, always trying to make a regular playback system sound like the headphones.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Ray76

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 10:36:32 PM »
after I got these headphones, it made almost all systems that I heard sound like there were huge thick dampening blankets over the speakers.  The difference in clarity is really surprising....  It will also turn you into a complete audiophile, always trying to make a regular playback system sound like the headphones.

given my penchant for buying sprees..id better not go that route.  :-[

Offline George

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 08:37:25 AM »

given my penchant for buying sprees..id better not go that route.  :-[

LOL.  I'm just as bad as i plunked down $500 for a Iriver 140 mp3 player because it's 40GB and it has optical in/out and line in/out.  I mainly purchased it because my Rio Karma is acting up and the newest wave of mp3 players leave a lot to be desired. 

As for headphones, i'm into them because i still live at home, currently working full-time and going to school part-time, so investing in a killer speaker rig isn't practical. 

Once i move out and get my place, i definitely plan on investing in a nice speaker system, probably gonna go with the epos line or these:

http://www.livingvoice.co.uk/rev_obxr03.htm

>:D

Those OBX are killer!  I'd definitely like to own a big speaker rig one day, but headphones provide that intimacy that's normally missing from a speaker rig.  You hear all the little nuances in a recording that are normally masked or dispersed in a speaker rig. 

If you've never gotten into headphones, you should see if you can visit a local audio shop and audition some of them.  Headphone.com offers a 30 day return policy as well.   

Thanks for the comments everyone!  I look forward to spending more time with this amp tonight and my HD-580's.   ;D

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline George

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 10:03:23 AM »
My eyes lust, and my ears scream in pain, but my eyes lust more than the pain,.....

cool new toy!
+ to ya

Thanks Moke!  I'm sitting here daydreaming about going home and listening to some cool tunes with this sucker.  It's a revelation what a well designed tube amp can do.  I tell ya, tubes+grado's is where its at.  +T backatcha buddy.   :D

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline George

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 08:47:57 PM »
Hell, when you buy a tube amp it should be customary to post some dark shots of the tubes glowing:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 09:24:14 PM »
That really is a beautiful piece of gear.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 10:52:08 PM »
Damn... those pics are making me reconsider selling my tube amp...  bastard!   ;D  I love looking at the little fireplaces...   :headphones:

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

BobW

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2005, 08:31:40 PM »
Pretty, glowing bottles !

+T for sexy sound.

BobW

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005, 05:05:36 PM »
Looking around the interweb for Blueberry Audio and finding nothing.
I suck at the interweb   :P

Any more information on sources and specs ?

[EDIT]
Nevermind got my answer from Joe.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 01:37:37 AM by _Bob_ »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com