Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recommendation for board recordings/band on the road  (Read 2928 times)

Offline barthatronic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I am a scientist.
    • GbV
Recommendation for board recordings/band on the road
« on: December 26, 2005, 10:05:03 AM »
Hello. I'm looking for a hardware recommendation for my cousin's band, The Impossible Shapes. They're leaving on tour in February and I'd like to set them up with an audio recording device (I'm keeping this very broad) to record their live shows, mostly from SBD.

I have experience with the JB3 and that's the right price range as well (relatively cheap) -- I'm looking to set him up for under $200. I'd like to make this rig and setup as basic as possible with the highest probabilty for great sound. I haven't been monitoring these boards for a while and I'm wondering if there's a better setup than the JB3 now. Any ideas or recommendations? What will I need beyond the recording device to make this work well? What should I expect to pay? I'm really looking (once again) to the resources of this board for some help. Thanks in advance for your help...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
SP-CMC-2  >  SP-SPSB-6  >  JB3

Offline svenkid

• Needs to get out more...
  • Take Time to Listen!
Re: Recommendation for board recordings/band on the road
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 02:55:42 PM »
probably get a set of rca to mini 1/8th

sbd on the ground could be tricky, new boards each nite, new sound guys that hopefully know what theyre doing.
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 07:19:22 PM »
Probably gonna want to take a laptop or computer to offload the shows each night just in case something happens to the JB3.  It would really suck to have every show on the JB3 without a backup and someone turn around and knock it off the sound board breaking it. 
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline paltenburg

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 07:10:35 AM »
I'd think (just from reading this forum) an Iriver H1x0 with Rockbox firmware is practically just as good as a JB3, so if you could find one of those cheap..

does anyone know exact differences between these (features, quality)?

Offline Weazel

• Taperssection Regular
  • sp-cmc-8-> DIY BB -> Iriver IHP120 (rockbox)
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 10:32:05 AM »
they have the same ADC so it should sound the same
-[ pop goes the weazel ...]-

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 10:49:59 AM »
they have the same ADC so it should sound the same

Doubtful.  Typically, the analog design and implementation has a big impact on the sound, even if the ADC chips are the same - for example, the stock UA5 and MiniMe use the same ADC, yet sound very, very different IMO.  It's unlikely the analog stages are identical across both JB3 and H1x0.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline barthatronic

• Taperssection Regular
  • I am a scientist.
    • GbV
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 04:46:21 AM »
Probably gonna want to take a laptop or computer to offload the shows each night just in case something happens to the JB3.  It would really suck to have every show on the JB3 without a backup and someone turn around and knock it off the sound board breaking it.
Great point. Those musician types aren't always the most careful guys either. ;D

I've been looking for a JB3 on eBay and it looks like they're still holding their value well ($100-200). Seems like the extra batteries are getting harder to find as well -- they get a fairly premium price, I think. I'm still wondering if there's any other recording devices I should be considering -- would a Minidisc setup, although potentially less simple, be considered for reasons like the offload/backup problem mentioned above? Their sets tend to be less than an hour long...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
SP-CMC-2  >  SP-SPSB-6  >  JB3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com