Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09  (Read 50097 times)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Edirol R-09
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 01:04:02 PM »
i use sd cards in my pda rig to record. they are sweet - not much bigger than a postage stamp. 2 gigs get you just over 3 hours @ 16/48...

2 gig and one gig cards have come down dramatically in price (esp. compared to the price i paid for my first 2gig sd card close to a year ago - which was then confiscated by the manager of a band that is supposed to be open taping, but i digress...)

sd is good...

i still dont see anything smaller than my pda rig, which accepts digi in, and does 24/44.1,48, and 96.

(not being a prick, but some of you folks might wanna look into going that route)...

plus when using live2496, you can record directly to flac, which saves you hella disc space...

just talking out loud. i will see if i can get into the show this year. i know ledsepzoso is going - shoot him an email/pm. the show starts today.

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2006, 04:30:50 PM »

EDIT: now I see that you can easily get 4gb SD's... well that's not a huge problem then. but for those of us already owning R-1's, I'm not sure if it would be worth it to move to this unit.

I like it because its smaller than a JB3 and the R1.  I considered moving to the R1.  But this puppy is smaller and has a nicer layout as far as buttons and connections.  I'm not too concerned about 24 bit yet, but having that ability is nice.  Regardless of the 2 gig limit, its an improvement over the R1 by size alone.  I think I'm gonna jump on one of these. 

Assuming it has the same efficient ADC as the R1, I wonder how it would do running a V2 in front of it. 
Anybody running a V2 in front of their R1?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2006, 04:36:58 PM »
I really don't think the USB is possible for digi-in, because from the picture you have to have the battery door open to access it. Besides any issue of it even being possible to go digi-in on USB, the batteries would be falling out.  Doesn't seem at all likely that they would have designed it that way.

I bet you can connect to USB and change cards without opening the batt door.  If you look closely at the photo of the bottom http://www.soundprofessionals.com/mas_assets/full/ED-R-09-G.jpg there seem to be cutouts for those ports on the door (door is folded forward towards the camera POV to show the battery access in the photo).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006, 04:47:53 PM »
usb in

would it take the digisignal that way from a ua5..?

doubt it, but it might be possible...

Yikes!!! What a thought - what if the next killer recording device worked with a USB feed? - then everyone would have to have thier UA-5s un-digi-modded!!!

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2006, 05:04:12 PM »
No, sadly, that won't happen.  Specific software would be required to be configured so the 2 devices can communicate.  The UA5's basic software is to make it talk to any windows based PC/laptop, for example.  Lord knows what software is running on the R09.  So, I think that's a long way off.  But, good idea.   ;)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2006, 06:40:58 PM »
I find it to be absolutely stupid for any manufacturer to not include digital inputs in their products.  The R1, the 660 and the list seems to be growing.   

What options are there in the marketplace for a small hand held recorder with digital in/outs with the ability to record 24bit.  Not many its looking like.  Obviously these manufactures are trying to rush products into the marketplace without even the thought of looking at the shortcomings and problems of their competitors. 

No love......

EDIT:   I forgot to even mention that piece of shit new Sony recorder.  . 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 06:43:16 PM by OFOTD »

Roving Sign

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2006, 07:29:50 PM »
I find it to be absolutely stupid for any manufacturer to not include digital inputs in their products.  The R1, the 660 and the list seems to be growing.   

What options are there in the marketplace for a small hand held recorder with digital in/outs with the ability to record 24bit.  Not many its looking like.  Obviously these manufactures are trying to rush products into the marketplace without even the thought of looking at the shortcomings and problems of their competitors. 

No love......

EDIT:   I forgot to even mention that piece of shit new Sony recorder.  . 

Absence of dig-in seems totally understandable in todays copyright sensitive world...

And really - isnt SPDIF going the way of the doh-doh bird???...it's really not used much with pro gear - and increasingly less with the advent of gear with computer based interfaces...(USB, Firewire...)

I dont think tapers represent a large enough niche for any business to care what we want...

Roving Sign

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2006, 07:41:56 PM »
No, sadly, that won't happen.  Specific software would be required to be configured so the 2 devices can communicate.  The UA5's basic software is to make it talk to any windows based PC/laptop, for example.  Lord knows what software is running on the R09.  So, I think that's a long way off.  But, good idea.   ;)

Perhaps - does the UA5 software (on the PC) control the UA5 in any way??? (like the UA-25)???...or does it just capture signal from the USB? Both devices are made by Edriol - seems completely feasible that they would work together...if I were a customer I would demand it!!! "What Edriol? - all your products are incompatible???"

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2006, 07:43:39 PM »
theoretically, though - you would think that the same company that made both boxes (ua5 and r-09) to have the same digital i/o interface would be able to make them talk to eachother...

agreed that tapers dont make a big market, but what else would you use this thing for..?
-macdaddy ++

Roving Sign

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2006, 07:51:19 PM »
theoretically, though - you would think that the same company that made both boxes (ua5 and r-09) to have the same digital i/o interface would be able to make them talk to eachother...

agreed that tapers dont make a big market, but what else would you use this thing for..?

THe specs say -

"USB 1.1/2.0 mass storage device class compatible" - that must mean something - spec-wise..."

Edriol is probably eyeing the broadcast journalism market, amatuer musicians and ipod users...

Offline Ziggz

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2006, 09:55:18 PM »
Damn, I was just about to order a MT from SP's when I saw this baby. Decisions, decisions.....

blackmikito

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2006, 10:21:10 PM »
Another thing I just noticed from the pics is that the R-09 has a peak indicator on the front, which will be very welcome improvement over the R-1's lack of one. Can't make out whether or not the side of the unit has switches or if they're input and headphone levels like the R-1 has.
I'm hoping they're dials, instead of having to access the input level via a menu a la the MT. 

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2006, 10:25:02 PM »
having to access the input level via a menu a la the MT.

that suxxx
-macdaddy ++

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2006, 12:21:58 AM »

Maybe they're saying the adc in both units are similar in quality so there's no need for the ua5, just run mic in or line in directly to the recorder's adc.

I also want to add, I love the addition in this unit of the left and right channel meters, the R1 only shows you a mono level. Plus a 4-line display.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2006, 07:18:03 AM »
I'm sure I'll get one for a review, and I'll run everything I can into this to see how its ADC sounds.
Could be my "stealth deck".  but i'd hate tohave to buck up for yet another form of flash card.  Luckily my camera takes SD, and iv'e got a 1g card all ready.  add a 2gb, and I'd have enough for opening acts + the main show of most concerts I see.

digital in would have been great...but for what it is, I'm sure it will be ok.   Edirols A/Ds have always been surprisingly good, given the price of their products.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com