Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anybody used MOTU gear?  (Read 4170 times)

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
Anybody used MOTU gear?
« on: March 04, 2006, 05:24:57 AM »
I'm looking at the inteface boxes, but the Traveler unit can be used as a stand alone multi-track mixer, and looks to have the capability to run off battery.  Anyone ever used any of the gear?  Problems, comments, etc.?

The Ultralite looks sweet too.

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ultralite

mike
Socks are overrated.

Offline spoogles

• Taperssection Member
  • fuck bush
    • showlist
Re: Anybody used MOTU gear?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 08:47:28 AM »
havent used that, but the other MOTU stuff i have used is top notch. wouldn't see why that wouldnt be also. nice find

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 09:10:51 AM »
After reading up on this thing... I'm so gonna make the jump. I need a pre for home as well as live recording and damn... this one just made my day.

couple lovely points here:

-Compact size (8.5" wide x 7" deep)
-10 inputs with 2 mic preamps and 14 outputs including separate mains - all the I/O you need.
-Individual 48V phantom power - mix and match condenser and dynamic microphones. (this is good for the home setup)
-Front-panel control - access your entire mix, or any UltraLite setting, directly from the front panel
-Stand-alone operation - program your mixes at the studio and then bring the UltraLite to your gig. No computer needed.
-Just plug in any DC power adapter (10-24 volts, tip positive or negative). Need to tweak the mix? Do it on site using the back-lit LCD and front-panel controls.
   Hell I think I already have a battery for this.
-Stereo 24-bit 96kHz S/PDIF in/out.
-SMTPE on analog inputs
-Two FireWire ports - daisy-chain up to four units on a single FireWire bus without a hub.
-Separate TRS main outs and front-panel headphone jack, each with independent volume control.

One primary neg. is the placement of the xlr jacks on opposite sides of the box (one in front, one in back)

Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 12:09:33 PM »
I've used the 828mkII and it's really nice.  MOTU definitely knows what they're doing.

(edit - wrong model mentioned)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 01:04:29 PM by John Kelly »
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline balou2

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 01:02:42 PM »
I'm looking at the inteface boxes, but the Traveler unit can be used as a stand alone multi-track mixer, and looks to have the capability to run off battery.  Anyone ever used any of the gear?  Problems, comments, etc.?

The Ultralite looks sweet too.

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ultralite

mike
These two boxes are appealing for multiple reason, but nice that they can run DC in the field, AND the price is great on both.
Socks are overrated.

Offline Dr.FOB

• Taperssection Member
  • USM69i
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 05:49:04 PM »
I've had my Traveller for some time now and it's a great box.  I wish MOTU would give us a battery powered 8 channel ADAT interface for the expansion capability...
Neumann gear slut

Offline balou2

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 11:23:27 PM »
I've had my Traveller for some time now and it's a great box.  I wish MOTU would give us a battery powered 8 channel ADAT interface for the expansion capability...
I'm leaning to the Traveller now.  I like the Ultralite, but the Traveller has its advantages.  Have you had any issues with it? 
Socks are overrated.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 11:51:34 PM »
Just to offer you an alternative (but only if you're on OSX): http://www.mhlabs.com/metric_halo/products/mio/2882/
I think you can also save one state to use it standalone, but I really don't remember.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline rowjimmy

• rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 08:13:41 AM »
Those look like some good gear as well. more spendy and mac-only tho.
I can see how those might be right for some folks.
mic > wires > recorder

Offline Dr.FOB

• Taperssection Member
  • USM69i
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 06:23:10 PM »
I'm leaning to the Traveller now.  I like the Ultralite, but the Traveller has its advantages.  Have you had any issues with it? 

I haven't had any issues with the Traveller.  The software I use, Sonar 4, is particular about having the hardware up and running before the ASIO will allow me to chose all the channels.
But that's just a sequence issue I think. 
Some claim the pre is not the best but I have run is 24/96 and think it is very clean though it may have a slightly raised noise floor.  Search TS for the pre-mod if you are concerned about this.
The battery options are the best.  Locking XLR4 connection or polarity independant concentric plug.  And I've run > 6hours on my 6.8AH 10.8V LI pack powering a mic pair and 6 line ins.
The Ultralite looks nice but for the extra $100 the traveller takes it.
Neumann gear slut

Offline rowjimmy

• rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 12:57:38 PM »
After a tip-off in another thread, I've heard tell of folks having nightmares with motu gear and their PCs and little/no luck with their tech/cust. support.

Anyone have horror stories (or good news) on these fronts?

if the good Dr. says the pre sounds reasonobably clean then it mustn't be too bad. The costs of the mods @ blacklion aren't too outrageous if I were to pick something up and decide I want it altered (sounds like a pair of pants.) But I'd hate to end up with a >$500 connectivity nightmare.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 01:00:22 PM by rowjimmy »
mic > wires > recorder

Offline blastroknow

• Taperssection Member
  • you can fight about love all you want
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 03:05:02 PM »
After a tip-off in another thread, I've heard tell of folks having nightmares with motu gear and their PCs and little/no luck with their tech/cust. support.

Anyone have horror stories (or good news) on these fronts?

There are lots of happy MOTU users in the Sonar user forum {PC only software}.  I'm shopping a new PC audio interface, too and right now I think the 828 mkII is the one I'll get.  I'm confident it will work with windows and even that it will get 64 bit/vista drivers in the future.
Core-sound HEB 4060s > iRiver h120
or
AT853 > AT8531 > ToddR mod SBM-1 > iRiver h120

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006, 07:33:25 PM »
I'm a happy owner of an 828mkII.  Thanks to seeing a thread here i'm getting it modified at the end of the month.  I just recorded a show on friday using it.  I was actually pretty surprised at the quality of the preamps for our purposes.  It's a nice clean sounding piece of gear and the modifications to the analog stages make a LOT better. I can't wait for that :)

When i was first looking into getting a firewire interface lots of people told me the same thing.  It was, "If want to get an interface that is guarunteed to work solid and sound decent out of the box, get a MOTU." I was also looking at the RME Fireface(almost twice as expensive) and at the time it had issues.  Now i think that bos is real solid too.  The A>D converters are also superioir to the MOTU's from all accounts i've been told and read, and there are more I/O connections.

However at the price point of the MOTU's and now with these mods....you just can't beat them IMHO.

Offline Weekendshooter

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 05:59:57 PM »
I've been using my Traveller now about a year and it's done what I needed it to do.  When I've needed a few extra channels, I've made do by bringing along a submixer.  Here are some of my thoughts that I hope won't dissuade you:

It's lightweight construction makes it a lousy heatsink if your laptop dumps alot of heat and you set your laptop on the Traveller.  I've a G4 PB that gets pretty hot for which I admit to using very little of the power saving features available.

The front panel mixer interface is a bit goofy but works.  Dont expect to be able to actively ride a bunch of faders efficiently real time. Cuemix works great.

I'm not sure how much current the Traveller *really* draws but powering it off the FW from the G4 PB really gets the lappie awfully hot.  Could be a problem with the laptop coming up short though.  Powering the Traveller off the DC connector and everything cools off nicely.  It just seems goofy having all of this portable gear but needing extra adapters/cables for power.

Stoking up the Traveller with a full complement of i/o cables gets to be quite a rats nest   ::)   This was annoying when the traveller got pulled off it's little table before I got around to duct taping everything.  It was enough to scratch through the paint but it still works fine.  Next major event out, I'm going to look into a 3-6u'ish rack to help keep the cables, night light, external hd, extra battery, etc.  clutter a bit more manageable.  Should help speed up setup and tear down time, plus provide a nice flat working surface for the laptop.  I swear the volume for all of the cable mess exceeded the volume for the traveller, hd & laptop.   The rack will have solar cells to trickle charge while sitting out in the hot sun...  ;D

When I bought the Traveller, I got Digital Performer to go along with it.  At the same time, I picked up an M-Box with PT LE.  It's been about a year now and in hindsight, getting the digi stuff has been pretty much a waste of money.  Probably need to move it out...  I also use alot of rackmounted Echo Layla equipment, a JB3, and even used a Creatives Nano Zen Plus on occassion for recording <lol> simply as reference.

Simply my mileage...

Offline balou2

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 05:29:27 PM »
I've been using my Traveller now about a year and it's done what I needed it to do.  When I've needed a few extra channels, I've made do by bringing along a submixer.  Here are some of my thoughts that I hope won't dissuade you:

It's lightweight construction makes it a lousy heatsink if your laptop dumps alot of heat and you set your laptop on the Traveller.  I've a G4 PB that gets pretty hot for which I admit to using very little of the power saving features available.

The front panel mixer interface is a bit goofy but works.  Dont expect to be able to actively ride a bunch of faders efficiently real time. Cuemix works great.

I'm not sure how much current the Traveller *really* draws but powering it off the FW from the G4 PB really gets the lappie awfully hot.  Could be a problem with the laptop coming up short though.  Powering the Traveller off the DC connector and everything cools off nicely.  It just seems goofy having all of this portable gear but needing extra adapters/cables for power.

Stoking up the Traveller with a full complement of i/o cables gets to be quite a rats nest   ::)   This was annoying when the traveller got pulled off it's little table before I got around to duct taping everything.  It was enough to scratch through the paint but it still works fine.  Next major event out, I'm going to look into a 3-6u'ish rack to help keep the cables, night light, external hd, extra battery, etc.  clutter a bit more manageable.  Should help speed up setup and tear down time, plus provide a nice flat working surface for the laptop.  I swear the volume for all of the cable mess exceeded the volume for the traveller, hd & laptop.   The rack will have solar cells to trickle charge while sitting out in the hot sun...  ;D

When I bought the Traveller, I got Digital Performer to go along with it.  At the same time, I picked up an M-Box with PT LE.  It's been about a year now and in hindsight, getting the digi stuff has been pretty much a waste of money.  Probably need to move it out...  I also use alot of rackmounted Echo Layla equipment, a JB3, and even used a Creatives Nano Zen Plus on occassion for recording <lol> simply as reference.

Simply my mileage...

Thanks for the great info.  +t
Socks are overrated.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com