Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MT Loss of power-up after battery discharge?  (Read 2589 times)

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
MT Loss of power-up after battery discharge?
« on: March 20, 2006, 03:47:25 PM »
Last night I was transferring a DATvia PCM-R500 > MT, with standard Hosa coax.  I fell asleep half-way through, and was not able to power-down the unit (running off of bat. sled), or save the incoming .wav.

This morning, I am unable to power on the unit in any capacity.  Initially, I thought it wouldn't power-on due to having no juice, so I hooked it up to the normal AC power adapter for charge.  I get NOTHING on-screen with this.  I tried the various "orders" with which to do this (plug in to wall, THEN MT, - plug in to MT, then wall etc...) but get nothing.  I've tried three different outlets and am unable to get response/power at the MT.

Anyone have any ideas about this?  There were no noticeable power surges in the house last night, no power failures, and the R500 is rock-solid as ever...the DAT is rewound, so it obviously played through to the end.  FWIW, I run all the power supplying the R500 through a Monster power protector, and with the MT on battery, even if I'd had a surge, it should have been protected. ???
Socks are overrated.

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
Re: MT Loss of power-up after battery discharge?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 04:11:51 PM »
plug it in and wait 20min (probably less) and it should power on show the charging symbol...similar to first charging the unit when it is new.

good luck
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline balou2

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 04:22:00 PM »
plug it in and wait 20min (probably less) and it should power on show the charging symbol...similar to first charging the unit when it is new.

good luck
10 minutes pass...nothing
15 minutes pass...nothing
20 minutes pass...nothing
30 minutes pass.....NOTHING
31 minutes pass (and picture me staring at this blasted unit)...it's pie and chips baby...pie and chips.  Charging up.

Thanks Chris.  Nothing like a little stressful wtf-action.
Socks are overrated.

Offline BWolf

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always on the prowl...
    • Etree Trading List
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 05:20:14 PM »

good luck
31 minutes pass (and picture me staring at this blasted unit)...it's pie and chips baby...pie and chips.  Charging up.

alright, so now that we know that nothing is wrong with your unit and it seems to be back in order, does anyone know why this would happen? 
"The best jazz is funky, and the best funk is jazzy" -SMOOTH
------------------------------------------------------
Neumann AK20/AK40s > LC3 > KM100 > Lunatec V3 (MS mod) > SD 722 or Microtrack 24/96  (Hi-Ho Silver Custom Interconnects)

Offline paulcargill

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 05:34:27 PM »
My Nokia Communicator used to do the same thing when completely discharged..always came back after 20 mins...

Regards

Paul

Offline balou2

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 06:24:25 PM »

good luck

alright, so now that we know that nothing is wrong with your unit and it seems to be back in order, does anyone know why this would happen? 
Yeh...I'm curious about that as well.  If you're charging from an AC outlet, there should be instantaneous juice to power the unit back on.  I could see it if you were jumping from a weak battery, but not from the wall.
Socks are overrated.

Offline BWolf

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always on the prowl...
    • Etree Trading List
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 06:52:48 PM »

good luck

Yeh...I'm curious about that as well.  If you're charging from an AC outlet, there should be instantaneous juice to power the unit back on.  I could see it if you were jumping from a weak battery, but not from the wall.

well it could be that plugging into wall charges the battery before it would power the unit.  then my guess would be that the unit will not power on until the battery reaches a certain capacity, even if plugged into the wall (because the battery is sucking all the power).  as for why the little charging symbol doesn't come up until a half an hour later, that i cannot understand.
"The best jazz is funky, and the best funk is jazzy" -SMOOTH
Neumann AK20/AK40s > LC3 > KM100 > Lunatec V3 (MS mod) > SD 722 or Microtrack 24/96  (Hi-Ho Silver Custom Interconnects)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com