Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: the new 722 (the 702)  (Read 12276 times)

Offline Bob S

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • mk4v>sxm2/ls>sbmmod>d100 f.o.b.
the new 722 (the 702)
« on: March 23, 2006, 12:13:14 PM »
so sound devices is going to release a new digital recorder without the hard drive
its flash card only.
im guessing this will help with the heat issue?

same box as far as i know minus the hard drive and about 500$ less.

any opinions on how much of an issue the heat really is in a stealth application?
and for those of you with flash cards, is 2 gigs enough?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: the new 722 (the 702)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 12:17:35 PM »
they announce this at NAB? 

The 722 gets hot, and definitely couldnt be a in the wasteband type of stealth application, but have not had an issue with any performance issues as a result of the heat. 

2 Gbs is enough for 16/44, but for 24/96 it is a little less than an hour

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 12:21:42 PM »
I can't imagine they'll sell a lot of units if it's the same machine minus the hard drive.  Figure if you're gonna spend almost $1900 on a recorder, you'll at least splurge and get a 4GB CF card.  Then the savings vs. the 722 is only around $350.  If I'm spending that much on the recorder, I'd spend a little extra and have the hard drive for those times when it will come in handy.

Heat hasn't been an issue for me when stealthing in a very small fanny pack, but I haven't done so outdoors yet.  You can record to the CF-only if you want now, but I believe the HD still spins up and will generate some heat.  Even if I had a big CF card that I used for stealthing in the 7-series, I think the feature I'd want is the ability to power down the hard drive, not have a slightly cheaper unit without the drive installed.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline ianstone

• schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 12:36:34 PM »
I kinda expected this..  I wonder if the new unit will be smaller?

The hard drive only spins up at boot to check the size and free space.  It does not run if you are recording to flash.  I think the manual mentions removing it, or possibly a menu option, to prevent the boot up check entirely.

FWIW, there's no way I'm ready to go to flash only on my 722. I dig having a real hard drive in there that doesn't fill up quickly, etc.  I usually transfer after every show but I don't format until much later. That leaves me the original on the 722 and the copy I've made.   So there is some recourse if there is a problem with the transfer, etc.

I stealth the 722 often with nothing but a t-shirt between it and my ribs. That could be a problem in the summer but not now. I have some ideas about a very low-pro fan cooling system. I'll do that if it becomes a prob.  I wouldn't want to stealth it against my crotch but even that would probably be fine if there was some insulation between it and your body and some air movement.

bingo, i was going to say the same thing. i like having the hard drive  and leaving stuff there until i HAVE to delete it. its pretty nice.

and you can upgrade the hard drive if you want..
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 12:39:55 PM »
doesn't seem to make much sense, the HD is such a good option to have.  You can transfer you CF to it, use it for longer uses.  No brainer. 

Now if they'd just make a 722 to with a 5 pin binder plug for my KCY cable, i'd be the happiest tapir..
mics & cameras

Offline Bob S

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 12:40:47 PM »
i was told the box would be the same dimensions.

Offline Bob S

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 12:43:10 PM »
Now if they'd just make a 722 to with a 5 pin binder plug for my KCY cable, i'd be the happiest tapir..

i thought the 722 will not work with active cables and capsules. only with "microphones" (ccms or full body mics)

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 12:46:30 PM »

i thought the 722 will not work with active cables and capsules. only with "microphones" (ccms or full body mics)

currently it doesn't, you'd need to do like what sonosax did with the sx-m2, put adapters inside
mics & cameras

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 12:57:29 PM »
doesn't seem to make much sense, the HD is such a good option to have.  You can transfer you CF to it, use it for longer uses.  No brainer. 

The thing to remember here guys is that I'm betting the majority of people using 722/744 aren't recording music with them, they are doing sound for film/video. Maybe I'm wrong, but I straddle both worlds, and I'm betting that's the case. For that type of work, the recording time isn't nearly an issue, and being flash-only might make the unit more bombproof while doing boompole work. And more importantly, I think they said there would be a 702T model which would have timecode. If that is true, it just goes to show who is really using these things. Jam-sync'able SMTPE timecode is a HUGE feature for people doing film/video work. Did the 722 have SMTPE timecode? If not, that feature alone is a MASSIVE UPGRADE for certain users, and well worth the money. Anyway, I thought I'd just share another perspective on this.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 12:58:55 PM »
One more point... There are actually opportunities to use timcode in the taper realm too. Could you imagine a group of 4-5 tapers all jam-syncing their units at the start of a show -- you take the right flank, I'll take the left flank, you take FOB, someone else take stage lip, you run hypers, I'll run omnis, etc. Ah man, the post-matrix possibilities would be AWESOME!!!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 01:10:46 PM by Tainted »
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 01:23:09 PM »
on a related note, has anyone discussed the possabilities of opening up the 722 to put a larger hd in it?
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 01:32:18 PM »
on a related note, has anyone discussed the possabilities of opening up the 722 to put a larger hd in it?

i was under the impression this^^^ has been done before.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 01:32:55 PM »

already been done by a few owners when the units first arrived...threads should be in recording devices section

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 01:33:46 PM »
that's the first thing i did when i got mine.  i put an 80 gig in it

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=36009.0

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 01:37:16 PM »
One more point... There are actually opportunities to use timcode in the taper realm too. Could you imagine a group of 4-5 tapers all jam-syncing their units at the start of a show -- you take the right flank, I'll take the left flank, you take FOB, someone else take stage lip, you run hypers, I'll run omnis, etc. Ah man, the post-matrix possibilities would be AWESOME!!!

I just got my 744T in the last few days, and have barely had time to examine what's different over my 722.  If I understand what you're saying, we could take a pair of time-code enabled recorders like the 744T, jam-sync them before the show, and then run our rigs while not connected by any cabling and keep in time?  If that's the case, that's freakin' cool!

Any time-code enabled tapers in NYC care to experiment at some point?

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com