Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Edirol R4 "Pro" Model Released?  (Read 6184 times)

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: New Edirol R4 "Pro" Model Released?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2006, 06:35:11 PM »

"4-pin XLR type battery power input". Guess you'd need a different cable than the old WalMart battery > UA-5 power cable.

as long as it's got an AC in -- and the powering specs haven't changed -- the same battery / cable would work.

i haven't had any power disconnects running into the AC <yet> but having a locking XLR mechanism is a nice touch.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2006, 07:18:10 PM »

"4-pin XLR type battery power input". Guess you'd need a different cable than the old WalMart battery > UA-5 power cable.

as long as it's got an AC in -- and the powering specs haven't changed -- the same battery / cable would work.

i haven't had any power disconnects running into the AC <yet> but having a locking XLR mechanism is a nice touch.

It says "AC power (via adapter)." So, the question is can you just use the adapter. I wouldn't be surprised if you could just splice off part of the "adapter" with our current cables and then run straight into the DVD battery and it would work fine cause I'm betting the power requirements are the same as before.

On another funny, but related note, I had been gaffer-taping my power cord to both the R4 and my DVD battery to prevent accidental disconnect, but a couple of weeks ago I just flat out taped the whole damn DVD battery to the underside of the R4 itself, with both ends of the cord taped to the R4 and the battery such that they can't disconnect. It's been like that for two weeks now, and it even fits in my bag like this and in the original (crappy) Edirol case. Totally classic hack job, but it's actually kind of nice to never worry about hooking up or disconnecting or even forgetting the battery now. HOWEVER, after that whole MicroCrapper explosion catch on fire thing, I've been a little more nervous about permanently affixing the battery to the R4. LOL!

BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2006, 11:22:53 PM »
It's 4ch analog out now too. Wonder if the monitor settings still change those outs though.

That was the one thing I really did not like about using the r-4.

The ability to dump to a usb drive is nice too, though with 80 gigs in there, I can't see the need too often.

They need to make an r-4 "plus" so I can get the 4 analog outs and xlr power but keep the combo jacks and not have to pay for aes and timecode.

Oh, and I second the call for a metal chassis.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline cascademedia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2006, 08:27:22 PM »
The pricing on the standard R-4 has come down with the release of the new Pro Model.  Contact me for more details. 

thanks,
Frank

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2006, 07:30:47 AM »
aaaahhhh...
if only this thing sounded good enough to run stand alone and satisfy a pickey ear.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 07:38:02 AM »
aaaahhhh...
if only this thing sounded good enough to run stand alone and satisfy a pickey ear.

There's always the busman mod. And, FWIW, I contacted Frank about the new pricing and it's quite nice.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com