Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: recommended ext mics for the R-09?  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Blue Noise

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
recommended ext mics for the R-09?
« on: June 29, 2006, 02:42:15 AM »
Just exchanged my MicroTrack for the Edirol R-09. Checked out Hodgson's review, which got me interested in the SP-TFB-2 mics. So if I wanted to record gigs and ambient nature sounds with the R-09, which SP-TFB-2 set would be better, standard or high sensitivity? Also, for other mics, what's the best set-up or workaround for the unbalanced ins? Thanks.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: recommended ext mics for the R-09?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 08:07:32 PM »
I have the same question. Hope this time an expert can come up with a solution.
Take care,

Sergio
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 11:57:51 PM »
I have no personal experience with SP gear to help your decision about appropriate models.  However, another R-09 review might help with knowing deck's the input ability so to better match mics to your requirements.

Review at: www.sonicstudios.com/r-09revw.htm

My company manufactures specialized headworn/hrtf baffled stereo-surround mics with over half dozen models used for many different sound recording purposes  These I do know about and can suggest appropriate models and configurations to working conditions, interests, and deck model.

For example, if interests are mostly nature recording, interview, urban ambient sounds of low <108 dB SPL loudness, then R-09 mostly requires external quiet preamp, daylight view case, DSM-1S/H model mic inside WHB/N headband windscreen configuration.  This is an excellent configuration for this purpose and samples made with this system is 'Rolling Thunder' and Amtrak/Freight train series at: www.sonicstudios.com/mp3.htm

If recording slightly louder material including percussive music at moderate distances like would be encountered in foreign travel. then same system as before instead with DSM-6S/EH microphone model that handles higher SPL, but not as sensitive and noise quiet for remote nature recording as 1S/H model.   This configuration works well for most rural/urban ambient, pure-acoustic vocal/instrument, and for moderate distance percussion/grand piano, but not usually so good for moderately loud amplified sound purposes.

If mostly recording moderate loudness city urban ambient sounds to moderately loud amplified music venues, then change mic model to DSM-6S/M model with lower sensitivity/higher SPL handling better suited for pop/rock music venues where bass is not extremely loud.  Also WHB windscreen and R-09 daylight view case is not needed accessory if mostly recording indoors.   And it is possible to not need external preamplifier if R-09's internal preamplifier is used mostly to record amplified music sources having few silent spaces where preamp noise might be audible.

Mic model specifics on my site at: www.sonicstudios.com/dsm.htm

Anyway, these are just a few examples of working mic configurations with R-09 deck to suite a particular set of interests using mics I know very well from using myself and from customer's feedback.   

Most vendors of mics seem less specific about appropriate uses for their gear, and you should ask questions being specific about your deck model, working conditions expected when recording, and range of sounds/music of interest.

In being specific about your requirements, and asking the vendor questions should give better chance of getting exactly what you need, and having it work together in satisfactory easy way.

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 10:20:53 AM »
I have not done so  yet simply becuase I was using them w/my other rig, but I'm going to be experimenting (recoridng classical acoustic singing)  using my CMC8's with the R09. I'll post back once I do.   I realise this doesn't necessarily directly answer your question, but it may provide some information which makes it easier to determine what's best in your situation.
DPA4060
R09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.257 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com