Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: preamp or input selector for T-Amp recommendations?  (Read 3532 times)

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
preamp or input selector for T-Amp recommendations?
« on: July 11, 2006, 01:07:53 PM »
As some of you may know, I'm pretty cheap. I like to spend enough to meet my needs but not really any more.

This brought me to what is now my basement system, which is driven my a Sonic Impact T-Amp. I have that connected to a pair of JBL S26 bookshelf speakers and the result is a good sounding (to me) system on a very small budget. I like that. I hope to do some of the cool mods I see out there to my T-Amp, but even as a stock unit, it's pretty nice, and considering the price ($35) it's fantastic!

Anyway, I want to put some kind of switching input selector in front of it so I can run a CD player, and a Roku Soundbridge, and maybe at least one more input for something else (tuner? JB3?, PC?).

Does anyone know of an inexpensive (sub $100 preferably) solution to do this? One with a FM tuner in it might be nice too, but I don't really listen to a lot of FM, so that's not a requirement. I'd just like a simple switch so I don't have to pull plugs to change inputs. I don't want it to do anything to the sound. Anything beyond that might be nice, but unnecessary.

I'm also not opposed to building something from a kit and I'm definitely a fan of eBay.

Suggestions? Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 02:16:52 PM by mattb »
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: preamp or input selector for T-Amp recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 04:54:22 PM »
Rat shack sells an input selector for about $25. 
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline mattb

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 04:59:23 PM »
Thanks. I just got a RatShack selector for $20! It will do for now, but I wouldn't mind something a little less flimsy if I can find it within my price range. I'll have to cover up the part that says Radio Shack too!  :P

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 05:51:44 PM »
I'll have to cover up the part that says Radio Shack too!  :P

snob!   ;)

I love's my t-amp. I have it hooked up to a cheapo cyberhome DVD player and my old Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble II speakers for a bedroom system, works fine for me. Especially since I got a power supply and don't have to wrestle eight AA's into the worst-designed-ever battery compartment. Plus I don't have to worry about going to sleep with music on and wasting batteries all night.
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

treespine

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 10:49:39 PM »
I have the 3 input selector from rat shack.  i think they have a 5 input one to.  Works fine.

As far as the T-amp goes, its a shame the T-Amp does not come with a power adapter. 

Offline mattb

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 12:33:17 AM »
Mine came with an adapter but I bought it on eBay. I guess they don't ususally come like that. It probably should.

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 11:56:13 PM »
I'm also not opposed to building something from a kit and I'm definitely a fan of eBay.

Suggestions? Thanks!

I don't know if you'd consider it, but have you ever thought of getting an old-school reciever like a 70's Marantz or Pioneer?  You can get a hell of a deal on some vintage gear (some easily under $100).

I used an old 1971 Pioneer tuner for quite a while, loved it.  For under $100 and a little research online you can find some pretty sweet deals on E-bay.  My friend picked up an old Marantz 2200 for under $100 on Ebay that was in pretty nice condition, a couple of the backlight lights were burnt out, but that's an easy fix, cosmetically the face was clean. 

Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 08:42:30 AM »
yeah, what Genghis says is definately true.   I picked up an old school Harmon Kardon (can't remember the model # right now) from a thrift store for $15, and also picked up a Marantz 2226B on ebay for $78.   However, the vintage stuff may need a bit of work - the left channel on my Marantz cuts in and out....
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 09:11:56 AM »
got team t-amp!

i might build another one...

i started a thread on this a while back, and had links to some of the aftermarket kits and such; if i have some extra time (yeah right!) i will search for the thread...

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline mattb

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 11:36:50 AM »
I've been looking at a few mods myself. Not sure if/when I'd have the time but maybe sometime.
I'd like to do a quality re-box with quality binding posts and inputs and maybe do the "Stealth" mod, which seems to be the most bang for the buck and time spent.

Of course the Super T-Amp looks pretty cool too:

Here's some links I've been looking at:
Reboxing
Tweaking the T-Amp
Sonic Impact 5066 Amplifier Upgrade

Offline mattb

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 11:40:04 AM »
I don't know if you'd consider it, but have you ever thought of getting an old-school reciever like a 70's Marantz or Pioneer?  You can get a hell of a deal on some vintage gear (some easily under $100).

Yeah, I was actually bidding on an old Carver preamp with a tuner that would do the trick but the guy must have had a high reserve and if I'm going to drop some cash I'm not sure that's where I'd spend it.
I really like the sound of my T-Amp and the cool factor combined with lots of possible mods make it a definite keeper for now.

Matt

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com