Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09: a few recording and battery ?'s  (Read 5992 times)

Offline Carrera2

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Edirol R-09: a few recording and battery ?'s
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 02:30:49 PM »

i understand the battery life is about 4 hrs with regular AAs.  are there any batteries that will extend this and, if so, by about how much? 

I tested the other day with Energizer 2500 mAh NiMH batteries (recorded at 320/44.1) and got 8 hours 45 minutes and 32 seconds.  Batteries were fresh, right out of charger.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006, 03:50:44 PM »
Might ASSUME there is no loudness or quality difference in bit depth/sample rate selection in MP3 or wav.  Advantages of bit depth/sample rate selection apply to both lossy encoded MP3 or direct A/D to wav file recording. 

If this assumption is true, then advantages of using lossy compression MP3 over wav file is again: the audio file quality verses file size compromise. 

Furthermore, recordings made using either mp3 or wav format at lower VU level for headroom advantages (at 24bit depth) will mostly be at too low a level for final output, and therefore need amplification or normalization edit process. 

If recorded master file is MP3, then conversion to wav some other type of editable file is needed.

I know of NO editor directly adjusting the file loudness level in native MP3 format, at least without first doing a file type conversion, and then re-encoding back to mp3; and this seems an (undesireable) double quality loss conversion process most would want to avoid.

Agreed.  A native MP3 editor for level adjustment without file conversion or re-encode would be the missing link there.

But if storage space is limited to begin with and you must record MP3, you might as well set the record options to 24bit/48khz.  A comparison of 24/48 vs. 16/44 at the same MP3 encoding rate would be interesting.  It would also be interesting to know where the sonic trade off between recording a lower sampling-rate/bit-depth WAV file and a higher rate/depth MP3 equals out (psychoacoustically subjective as that would be).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline uglybassplayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 09:46:45 PM »
But if storage space is limited to begin with and you must record MP3, you might as well set the record options to 24bit/48khz.  A comparison of 24/48 vs. 16/44 at the same MP3 encoding rate would be interesting.  It would also be interesting to know where the sonic trade off between recording a lower sampling-rate/bit-depth WAV file and a higher rate/depth MP3 equals out (psychoacoustically subjective as that would be).

??? Maybe I'm missing something here, but how can you set the record options to 24bit (or 16bit for that matter) and still record direct to MP3... Isn't that ONLY if you're recording to a .wav file?

- Frank.

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006, 09:57:43 PM »

??? Maybe I'm missing something here, but how can you set the record options to 24bit (or 16bit for that matter) and still record direct to MP3... Isn't that ONLY if you're recording to a .wav file?

- Frank.

Correct, recording directly to MP3 format is limited to 16-bit only with the R-09.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2006, 02:31:38 AM »

- Frank.

Correct, recording directly to MP3 format is limited to 16-bit only with the R-09.

While the Microtrack offers 16/24bit recording in both MP3/WAV, AT LEAST THE OPTION SEEMS MENU SELECTABLE, didn't check the R-09 for having 16/24 bit MP3 option. 

Does that mean the Microtrack might produce a better quality MP3?

In reality, it may well be ALL MP3 ENCODING for these decks IS AT 24 BIT DEPTH REGARDLESS OF MENU OPTIONS.

The reason for thinking this is MD decks record/encode at 24 bit depth if I remember correctly, and by checking the chart in the MICROTRACK OWNERS manual showing recording times possible with various sizes of flash.  Chart shows NO 16/24BIT file time data, JUST MP3 REC TIME verses BIT RATE, not bit depth.  Most likely all MP3 encoding on both R-09 and Microtrack is at 24 bit depth.

So again we are back to choice of (practical) convenience of single flash card MP3 lossy encoding everything in one long file, at low level to avoid overloads, and then needing double conversion editing verses needing two flash cards for same recording time but at higher quality wav needing no double conversion edit.   

Wave file quality or MP3 file quantity? 

If this was about getting best possible audio quality, then choice is clear.

In this case, it's seems most important to choose what's most practical and reliable for getting acceptable quality with a particular set of circumstances. 
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2006, 02:49:23 AM »
I thought I'd throw  in these two cents as well.

A friend of mine has used his Edirol R-1 for recording certain "speech" type events (stand up comics, lectures, other speaking events) using just the built-in mics on the R-1, and recording in MP3 format at 256 kbps. He would simply start the R-1, hit the Record button twice, and then put it in his shirt or pants pocket and let it run.

Surprisingly, the recordings generally turn out very well. All things considered, yes, it's MP3 recording... but it's only "speech" and it was "good enough" for his listening/playback needs. And, using only a 2 GB SanDisk memory card and recording at 256 kbps MP3 means ample media space for recording.

I'm not suggesting to go the lower quality route, but just pointing out that other people have simply used the built-in mics and MP3 encoding on the Edirol units for recording "speech" events, and it met their needs/wants.

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2006, 11:45:55 AM »
Yikes, you got ripped. I just found the R-09 for $339 here http://www.bpmmusic.com/

sebastian: i guess i was a little unclear.  what i mean to say is that the circumstances i operate under *require* that i set the levels *before* i enter them; iow, when i go into the situation, the recorder will be in a little case, with recording on, and i won't be able to fiddle with the settings because i don't want to be seen fiddling with the settings.  i hope that's a little clearer.

btw/ i want to give a little plug to the place where i bought my edirol, samedaymusic.com.  fantastic service.  price was 399 with free shipping but you could pay an extra $2 and get 2-day shipping.  i placed my order at 4 pm, ponyed up my $2, and the package arrived not two days later but the very next day, around 10am.  now that's fast!  (plus, it's got a 60-day return policy, not the usual 30-day.  sweet!)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com