Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Has the Microtrack "settled down" yet?  (Read 13401 times)

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Has the Microtrack "settled down" yet?
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2006, 12:34:07 PM »
udovdh -- on that note, it depends what you want.  If you mean an M1 that isn't used with a digital input, maybe the R09 is what you want.
Does the R09 do seamless autosplits? Does it have a nice line in? Usable level setting mechanism? Good SNR? Impedance?

If you truly want an M1 that takes CF cards for digital input, I'd strongly recommend the MT.  That is, I'm assuming by M1 you mean you want a 16bit recorder.  I haven't heard of much in the way of issues with the MT used for 16bit. 
16-bit is OK. I need a decent line-in. I need seamless autosplit. I need true 2GB (2**31) if there is no autosplit.
Maybe a limiter. (the MT has one in the ADC but it isn't used!)
I am looking at the Iriver H120. R09 is wort a try?

I'm not really sure why a 2GB autosplit when running 16 bit is necessary. That's almost 3 and a half hours of record time. No band I've ever known plays that long without some type of break.

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline slf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
USB Battery pack
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2006, 08:30:00 PM »
I found a 4 AA USB battery pack for $15 plus $5 shipping at EBay by searching "USB Battery pack"

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2006, 09:09:53 PM »
Two things:
I've yet to hear of an r-09 exploding in a user's hand when being switched on...

I haven't seen him but does Elvis Costello transition between every song for 3+ hours? If so, I pity his drummer.  ;)
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2006, 05:49:50 AM »
udovdh -- on that note, it depends what you want.  If you mean an M1 that isn't used with a digital input, maybe the R09 is what you want.
Does the R09 do seamless autosplits? Does it have a nice line in? Usable level setting mechanism? Good SNR? Impedance?

If you truly want an M1 that takes CF cards for digital input, I'd strongly recommend the MT.  That is, I'm assuming by M1 you mean you want a 16bit recorder.  I haven't heard of much in the way of issues with the MT used for 16bit. 
16-bit is OK. I need a decent line-in. I need seamless autosplit. I need true 2GB (2**31) if there is no autosplit.
Maybe a limiter. (the MT has one in the ADC but it isn't used!)
I am looking at the Iriver H120. R09 is wort a try?

I'm not really sure why a 2GB autosplit when running 16 bit is necessary. That's almost 3 and a half hours of record time. No band I've ever known plays that long without some type of break.

a) 2GB on the MT is NOT 2**31 bytes but 2.000.000.000 bytes
b) I do not want to touch the unit again, except for stopping and turning it off after the show.

So I still want the autosplit on the MT.

Even with true 2GB I would want autosplit when using more than 44.1/48 Khz or being at a long show.
I hate to do splits and depending on the situation can't do them when I want.
I want to archive to DVD in one piece.
I really need 4+ hours of recording time for an ideal situation.

So an autosplitting R09 with 4GB SD would be nice.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2006, 05:51:33 AM »
The R-09 doesn't do auto-split but it records a full 4 GB file so you don't need to split.  Line-in is decent.  Level setting is nice.  SNR is good.  Line-in impedance = 17k.
Good! Thanks very much for this interesting info.
No known bugs, issues, caveats?

BTW: a 4GB WAV? Other format?

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2006, 09:05:30 AM »
I haven't seen him but does Elvis Costello transition between every song for 3+ hours? If so, I pity his drummer.  ;)

His shows usually only go 3 hours when he has a guest. And then he really gives a good dose of his material and his guest's.  There are Long stretches (7 songs) where they go immediately into the next song with no real break. His guitar tech always seems ready to hand him a fresh guitar..  I remember it vividly because I Really needed to hit the bathroom and I had stupidly wrapped the mic cord around a belt loop. Unlooping meant unplugging..  I don't think it is typically more than 3 hours. But with pre-roll time it ends up that way. The jb3 never missed a beat..  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=46990.0

Oblig r09 content: I just might get a v3 vs. r09 comp done today..  I finally have a cable made to run balnced pre output > 1/8".

Offline SunWizard

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2006, 10:52:40 AM »
Good! Thanks very much for this interesting info.
No known bugs, issues, caveats?

BTW: a 4GB WAV? Other format?

No known issues, which is surprising since it just came out.  Its a standard WAV format.  Some WAV editors do not work with 4GB files but there are plenty that do.  One issue is that it won't format a 4GB card in the R-09, you need to do it while connected to your desktop, which is easy.  And there are not many 4GB cards available yet.  This will probably be changed in a future update when they add full 4GB support, probably to support the new SDHC cards which haven't come out yet but are supposed to replace the current SD format.
AT853 (CMC-4)>3wire batt.box or SP box >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3
C4 > D-mod UA-5 >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3

Offline EYES

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2006, 03:04:08 PM »
microtrack has been very good to me small and easy to use.as for the battery problem,  i located a usb compact battery back up pact that is 4 inches by 4 inches in size and takes 4 aa batteries. this will give you at least 3 hrs. of good back up time. compact impact sales office, new york,ny. 212-677-0500.
ADK sc-t, ca-11 cards, omni.                                                   
 ua-5, ca-9100
pmd660, mt,
ALWAYS GRATEFUL,EYES

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2006, 03:28:12 PM »
I still wouldn't carry one of those devices on my person :
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=64648.0
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2006, 03:56:18 PM »
I lined my Nova 5 bag with asbestos plates.  The outside of the bag hardly even gets warm anymore when the MT explodes.

Actually I've had mine for almost 10 months and it has performed well.  I mostly use it as a bitbucket.

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2006, 10:23:54 PM »
well, it seems like my luck is 50/50 with this thing. right now, I have firmware 1.4.1v9 and I let it charge for a while after it was a full charge, and its frozen now. So I cant use it tonite like I wanted to. But I used it a few nites ago, and let it over charge alittle before hand, and everything went smooth.

::)
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2006, 12:41:56 AM »
Where else can you get a deck that not only records the show, but eliminates the need to "flick your bic" during the encore   :thinking:
I prefer S/PDIF, but when I need to I have no problems the 1/4"TRS.
The JB3 is looking kins of old (and BIG)
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline buffalofloyd

• Taperssection Newbie
  • the quickness of the eye deceives the mind
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2006, 04:42:55 AM »
Ok, just ordered this little nifty device for the battery issue.  I hope it works, I'm sure it will.  The only disappointing thing is that carrying in another piece of equipment is a bummer.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16855998033   Anyone else tried this exact device.  If I can get an extra couple hrs recording time it will be totally worth it.  It was either buy this or get a 4 gig compact flash card.  I already use a 4 gig Hitachi Microdrive that has performed albsolutely flawlessly, the only problem is that it chews the shit out of the internal battery.  I figure I'd just get the power pack, if I just got the cf card I could still run the risk of running out of battery.  Now I can record at higher bit and khz depths if I choose and not have to worry about battery power... hopefully.  I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Cheers,
Jim
Core Sound Stealthy Cardoids > M-Audio Microtrack

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2006, 10:20:21 AM »
well, it seems like my luck is 50/50 with this thing. right now, I have firmware 1.4.1v9 and I let it charge for a while after it was a full charge, and its frozen now. So I cant use it tonite like I wanted to. But I used it a few nites ago, and let it over charge alittle before hand, and everything went smooth.

::)

Did it freeze while it was charging or while you were using i t (or both)? What was on-screen at the time? And why did that prevent you from using it that night?  In case you don't know, you can force the MT to power down even when it's frozen by holding down the power button for 10-20 seconds.  I haven't had to do this for the last several firmwares but earlier ones were fairly notorious for freezing.

J.T.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2006, 11:10:15 AM »

I am very happy with my microtrack - I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever with it that weren't my own fault.  I am running the latest firmware and it works just fine.  The microtrack has settled down!!  I would definitely recommend it.  Great stealth device!!

:djsmilie:
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com