Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Heading to NYC next week-Best place to get a deal on a camcorder??  (Read 2610 times)

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
Heading to NYC next week-Best place to get a deal on a camcorder??
« on: September 08, 2006, 11:50:52 AM »

I'm heading to Panic in NYC next week. I have been looking online and none of the retailers actually have stores. They are just internet sites.

Should I just buy on the internet? Can you wheel and deal with cash in the city?

What camcorder would you buy?

Every thread starts out asking that question, and it turns into a debate about harddrive(mpeg) camcorders and Minidv camcorders and hdv camcorders.

I want a mini-dv camcorder of high quality at a good price.

I see the Sony HDR-HC3 records in dv mode or hdv mode, so you can use it as a dV camera, until the HD technology picks up.

I have also seen that the Panasonic 3ccd mini-dv's have great quality. Looking at the gs-500.

Any other suggestions?

I am not looking for a debate here. Just tell me what you would buy.

Thanks in advance!
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline SuperDave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Now that's a mandolin!
Re: Heading to NYC next week-Best place to get a deal on a camcorder??
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 01:01:50 PM »
What's your price range?
I'm gonna go put my spacesuit on boys, then lets get this dirty cocksucker in the air! ...

Open Rig: ADK A-51 TL's > Oade Warm Mod UA-5 > Iriver H120/JB3
Stealth Rig: AT853 > SP-SPSB-10 > Iriver h120

Offline coloartist

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 01:04:51 PM »
$600- $800 so I'm thinking $800-$1200 retail
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       

Offline King Ghidora

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 01:25:18 PM »
The best deals seem to be in chain stores when they have closeouts.  For example Bestbuy sold the Panasonic PV-GS250 for $400 when they closed it out.  That camera cost about $300 more than that before the closeout sale.  I paid about $650 for mine.  Also I bought a Canon Optura 30 last year as a closeout and got it for a ridiculously low price (about $300). 

If you could find a deal like that it would be probably the best deal you could get.  They are sorta hard to come by but they are out there. 

The GS250 is really a better camera than the GS500 btw.  It has features they took off the new models.  For example you can't monitor your audio with headphones while you record on the GS500.  You can on the GS250.  If you could find a GS250 or better still a GS400 as a closeout you would do very well.  The GS400 allows manual adjustment of the recording level.  The GS250 doesn't.  It only has AGC.  I wish I had bought the GS400 instead because of that.  I will never buy another camera without manual level control.

Offline spreetaper

• Taperssection Member
    • Brooklynvibes.com
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 02:16:00 PM »
i live in brooklyn and work in manhattan (one block from radio city)... online retailers based out of nyc.. with addresses in brooklyn/queens are almost always sketchy (they will get you somehow) there is a list of over 3000 online venfors based out of brooklyn and queens which great prices.. and nearly all of them track back to about 10 actual companies which use hundreds of different addresses ..friends homes, relatives and empty apartments and warehouses.. as they say.. if the price is too good to be true it usually is

as for actual stores.. the two best places are J&R (down by City Hall) and B&H (two avenues west of MSG on 34st)
J&R is generally open the usual store hours.. and B&H has very odd hours.. closed on saturday and early on friday.. so make sure you check their website first
bhphotovideo.com

your not going to really be able to wheel and deal at either of these places but you will get to see a ton of stuff ..worth the trip even just to see the stuff in person.. and all their audio recording stuff too ..at B&H anyways
the thing to watch out for at these places is they try to sell you all the additional warranties and such and they get pushy sometimes..

hope that helps a little.. enjoy your trip
My new blog site with live recordings and photography
(Brooklynvibes.com)

Cameras = Digital Rebel XT, XTi
Lenses =Canon 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 
70-200mm f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8
Tokina AT-X 124 (12-24 f/4)

Main Rig = AKG 414's > SD 702
Extra gear = Apogee MiniMe, Sound Devices MP-2, Tascam HD-P2
Stealth = AT853's > BB > Edirol R-09

Playback = Cambridge DVD> Digital Link III > Trio C-100> VR-1's

Offline coloartist

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 02:36:27 PM »
Yeah I was wondering about those online stores. They all have a chat feature, and they all go to the exact same chat screen.

I run an internet sporting goods store, and these sites seem pretty shady. No real addresses. prices way too low.

I have been looking for a GS-400 for 6-12 months. Everyone raved about it. I have not seen any except on EBAY, and they were all fake auctions.

I haven't searched for the GS-250. I will start looking for those now.

I have shopped through BandH on the internet. I am stopping by there for sure anyway. I'm looking for some specialty clamping extensions for my audio gear, and some new windscreens and misc. supplies.

Thanks for the info and keep them coming. I don't leave until 9/13.

Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       

Offline Nate

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I saw you dancing to Doreatha
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 04:59:46 PM »
I've been pretty happy with my sony HC 32.  small, easy....you can send it video & audio.   You can buy batteries on ebay for super cheap.    I do like buying stuff like this from a best buy and get the extended warranty....since these cameras get beat around pretty good on tour.

Good luck bennett.

Nate

Offline jebi

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 01:15:48 AM »
i have a panisonic gs200 for sale and a dvc30.

both are great cams...the dvc30 shoots infered also.  great for hidden camera stuff in zero light

Offline coloartist

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 10:34:00 AM »
Camera found, thanks Jebi.
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com