Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Soundboard levels and the R4  (Read 2631 times)

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
Soundboard levels and the R4
« on: October 22, 2006, 09:33:14 AM »
So, I've been LOVING my R4 lately, and been a nasty little slut- pulling 4 channel recordings like there's no tomorrow.

Standard setup=
Channels 1,2 for my 184's>V3>R4
Channels 3,4 for soundboard outs

I have no issues with channels 1 and 2, but EVERY recording I've made, yields channels 3 and 4 being super hot.  Hot to the point of having the input dials on the
R4 turned all the way off, and having to run the limiter in order to prevent the dreaded clipping.  All of this AFTER I ensure that the board signal is turned down.

I'd prefer not to run the limiter, but it's the only way I can avoid clipping, and aside from adding pads or DI's of some kind, between the board and R4, it's my choice.

Does all this sound normal?
Socks are overrated.

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
Re: Soundboard levels and the R4
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 09:37:36 AM »
I've only made a few board pulls with the R4, but I've never had this problem. are you running line in on the SBD channels?

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 10:06:27 AM »
are you running channels 3 and 4 at line level or mic level? i've never had an issue with the soundboard levels being too hot for my R4.
the other thing to consider is are the soundboard outputs +4dbv or -10dbv?
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 02:01:38 PM »
I've had this problem before, using the XLR matrix outs. Just kindly ask the sound guy to turn the levels on it way down when he's plugging you in. I'm friendly with our local sound guy, so he lets me turn the dial myself.

Never had any problems with RCA tape outs. In fact, I have to turn the gain up for those.

If it's still a problem, invest in some attenuators.

Offline balou2

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 05:26:11 PM »
Line in.  Volume on two different boards was turned all the way down.  Weird, hey?  I've gone through all the standard "can you turn me down" etc....  Is it possible that line inputs are defective and overly-sensitive?
Socks are overrated.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 07:52:05 PM »
Line in.  Volume on two different boards was turned all the way down.  Weird, hey?  I've gone through all the standard "can you turn me down" etc....  Is it possible that line inputs are defective and overly-sensitive?

Try recording a sine wave from your computer's line-out using channels 1 or 2 first, then 3 & 4, each with the gain in the same position (gain totally off would probably be easiest). If there's any sort of difference, I'd contact Edirol.

Offline balou2

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 11:37:59 PM »

Try recording a sine wave from your computer's line-out using channels 1 or 2 first, then 3 & 4, each with the gain in the same position (gain totally off would probably be easiest). If there's any sort of difference, I'd contact Edirol.
Hey...+t.  Hadn't thought of that.  Muchas Gracias.
Socks are overrated.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 01:27:01 PM »
I've probably done 20 matrixes with my R4 and have gotton close to clipping but never done so. The few times it's been a close call were on martix outs via XLRs. If this is happening to you in the same venue all of the time, maybe you could run some in-line attenuators. But considering my 20+ experiences, that does seem a little weird. Maybe they thought they were turning down that out, but really were turning down something else?
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com