Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: People with the R-09 Input Jack Problem Please Report Your Serial # Here  (Read 1928 times)

Offline lbgspam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
It dawned on me that it would be very helpful to others if the people who had problems with their R-09 input jacks could provide their serial numbers so we can get a range of which units are effected.

So please, if you are one of the unfortunates, could you please post your numbers so we can try to get an idea on which production runs have this problem?

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: People with the R-09 Input Jack Problem Please Report Your Serial # Here
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 09:40:10 AM »
Knock on wood... no probs.. But I did open mine up this weekend to look.  The solder job looked okay. I touched it up.. BUT...

I got a note back from a friend this morning who said he loaned an r09 to someone and they broke the jack. In his case it pulled the traces right up off the board.  So merely adding more solder to those traces may not do anything.  He added epoxy to support the jack.  I suppose another alternative would be to de-solder the jack and solder on a pigtail cable with the connector of your choice.

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 01:06:39 PM »
It dawned on me that it would be very helpful to others if the people who had problems with their R-09 input jacks could provide their serial numbers so we can get a range of which units are effected.

So please, if you are one of the unfortunates, could you please post your numbers so we can try to get an idea on which production runs have this problem?

I agree with posting the serial numbers to get some handle on affected units.  Unfortunately, the last deck here had (fixed this) problems with soldering, but I had to sell this quickly to a traveling customer without noting the serial number.  Another new-in-box R-09 awaits disassembly to know its condition; I will post this if also with solder problems.

Actual failure is sure sign of having one of these, but many are just waiting to get enough stresses to break down the road.  It does seem this problem showed up with decks produce in the Summer 2006 production runs, so if purchase was during and shortly before the next run there is good chance of not good soldering inside the deck.  Only way to know is open/disassemble and take a close look.  Just posted picts of good and bad soldering in the R-09 FAQ thread today, so maybe look at this before diving in.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 01:12:14 PM by guysonic »
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 05:31:46 PM »
i currently have an r09 with a broken input jack.  could i send it to someone for a quick epoxy job?

this is actually my second with a broken input... roland's turnaround on the first was bad enough i'd certainly trust it in the hands of a ts.com accomplice before sending another to roland.

PM me if you're interested, i'll throw you expenses for your time, a few DVDs of masters, whatever you'd like...

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 06:12:55 PM »
Will work for shows ;D  I'll fix it for you.  I'm in philly area, day trip, fix while you wait 8)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com