Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R4 Pro x 2 = 8 Channel Recorder?  (Read 6381 times)

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Edirol R4 Pro x 2 = 8 Channel Recorder?
« on: November 30, 2006, 07:11:52 PM »
I was just thinking about this today. I didn't think the R4 Pro held much benefit over the R4 for tapers, and in fact I thought there was something bad about it, but I can't remember right now (no analog outs maybe?). Anyway, I've been toying with the idea of a mobile multitrack rig, but a small one, and have been thinking something like the firepod or 8pre plus a laptop might be the way to go. Another approach might be to pair one of those two units with an HD24 (is that what it's called?). Another option are the pro models like the Deva (is that right)? But they are so freakin' expensive. Then, I started to wonder about using two R4 Pros. They can run timecode in slave or master mode, so it should be pretty easy to link two together and have no drift. That'd give you a pretty portable 8 channels, 8 pres, 8 line/mic-in, 8 phantom, and 8 independent mono tracks recorded to HD. That said, not sure that is any cheaper than the other options considering I already own a lappy, but I bet it'd be more stable? Hmmm...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline joeshambro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taper turned professional FOH mixer
Re: Edirol R4 Pro x 2 = 8 Channel Recorder?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 07:51:09 PM »
you could use one alesis HD24, bought used for around $1K or less, and have 24 channels.  wouldn't need the R4 pro at all.

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Needs to get out more...
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 02:07:40 AM »
As much as I love my R4, I think it would be a complete waste to spend another $1600 (or whatever the R4pro is going for now) on 4 channels.  If you need portable, go the laptop route.  You'll have a TON of options beyond just 4 tracks, and you won't need to transfer.  If you can go bigger, the HD24 (or comparable equipment) is great to use, and gives you a ton of channels to choose from.  I just can't see spending all that $$ for a second recorder that will limit your options so dramatically.  As joe said, the HD24 is around $1k, and even new, I think they're still cheaper than an R4pro (which you'd need due to the time-code).
Socks are overrated.

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 12:15:31 PM »
The R4 Pro IS worth the extra money. I have played with it some at Cascade Media to check out all of the differences.

It has Trim control built into the gain knobs, a bigger hard drive,  It has a 4 pin power insert like other pro gear.
It still needs the mods to sound really great but I would never bother spending my money on a 744t when I could pay so much less for this and have 4 channels with phantom power.
Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

Offline vegas06

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 03:36:36 PM »
I don't know if this was touched on but, one other thing to mention about the R4 Pro is that you can set the power requirements to any voltage you like in the menu.
So now you can attach any 9v/12v/ brick battery you like for extra power.  So you could hook up an Anton Bauer brick batery and run for a very long time.

Offline bl6216@yahoo.com

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Photographer:Jim Marshall - Jerry @ Woodstock
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 03:48:59 PM »
Or you could go with the Motu 896 for $550 that is in the yard sale. http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,78255.0.html

-Brian
MBHO KA200 N / KA500 HN > Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives > MBHO 603 A > Van Den Hul The Second >  SD722

coming soon Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives

Show I taped on archive.org http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deadhead6216

"We're the first generation that's really capable of saving this music forever. Now is the time because we finally have the digital technology that allows us to preserve it indefinitely. It's also the critical time to do this because the older recordings are really deteriorating. It's an opportunity and it's also a serious responsibility, future generations will hold us responsible for what we do or do not do as far as preserving th

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 04:32:17 PM »
I was just thinking about this today. I didn't think the R4 Pro held much benefit over the R4 for tapers, and in fact I thought there was something bad about it, but I can't remember right now (no analog outs maybe?). Anyway, I've been toying with the idea of a mobile multitrack rig, but a small one, and have been thinking something like the firepod or 8pre plus a laptop might be the way to go. Another approach might be to pair one of those two units with an HD24 (is that what it's called?). Another option are the pro models like the Deva (is that right)? But they are so freakin' expensive. Then, I started to wonder about using two R4 Pros. They can run timecode in slave or master mode, so it should be pretty easy to link two together and have no drift. That'd give you a pretty portable 8 channels, 8 pres, 8 line/mic-in, 8 phantom, and 8 independent mono tracks recorded to HD. That said, not sure that is any cheaper than the other options considering I already own a lappy, but I bet it'd be more stable? Hmmm...

The R-4 Pro has four separate analog outs.  As indicated above, it does have SPTME timecode, but not wordclock, so once lined up, hopefully there would be little drift between the two machines.  I have been told that there will be no drift at all between the four tracks on one machine, but that if channels are coming from separate sources, the initial "delay" factor has to be accounted for, and then they will stay in sync.  It also has the ability to record two channels of digital in, AND two mic or line analog ins, which the original R-4 could not do.  Hope this helps.  Waiting for mine to arrive any day now.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline funkoff13

• wishes leisure suits would come back in style.
  • strawberry fields central park november 2008
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 11:09:02 AM »
I have a few questions I hope someone will please help me with.

Does r4pro have 2 digital inputs?

Does r4pro still resample the s/pdif inputs?

Why does this resampling occur?

thanks!

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 11:40:50 AM »
The R-4 Pro has ONE AES/EBU 3 Pin XLR digital input.  There are no SPDIF in or outs on the Pro.  I am calling them today to find out whether the AES/EBU will take two or four channels, if that is what it is being fed.  It does allow you to record two digital and two analog at the same time, which the original R-4 does not.  It also does NOT resample the digital signal.  It syncs to the incoming signal.  Hope this helps.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Offline funkoff13

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 11:55:13 AM »
The R-4 Pro has ONE AES/EBU 3 Pin XLR digital input.  There are no SPDIF in or outs on the Pro.  I am calling them today to find out whether the AES/EBU will take two or four channels, if that is what it is being fed.  It does allow you to record two digital and two analog at the same time, which the original R-4 does not.  It also does NOT resample the digital signal.  It syncs to the incoming signal.  Hope this helps.

thanks for the response t+

One would need a four channel a/d to be able to achieve what you are suggesting then.....right?

My ad2k is not...maybe time for a mytek if it is 4 channel.  Please let us know your findings.

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 02:06:08 PM »
One would need a four channel a/d to be able to achieve what you are suggesting then.....right?

Either that or hope that the A/D in the device can give you what you want. Prior to my Deva, this was the biggest challenge I had, so I never did four channels. I would input 4 channels, then mix them on the fly and send them off to the AD2K before going to tape.

Then I got the digital bug, but nothing was really available at that time that would handle 4 channels except the Cantar and Deva (OK, Fostex DVD-RAM too, but I never really considered that device). I ended up with the Deva. Ironically here it is nearly 3 years later and it still is way ahead in many areas. But for those not needing 8 channels, there are now 4 channel devices available that mortals can afford.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 02:17:58 PM »

My ad2k is not...maybe time for a mytek if it is 4 channel.  Please let us know your findings.

Not sure what you are asking regarding needing a 4 channel A/D, but if you are asking whether that is what you would need if you wanted to use an external pre or A/D on four analog mic channels, then the answer is yes, or two two channel pre A/Ds.

I also spoke to Edirol tech support for over an hour this morning about other questions.  The AES/EBU is two channels only, in and out.  The two channels in is no issue, but the out can get a little tricky.  If I was running a four channel or Stereo x 2 recording, using the mics on inputs 1 and 2 and the board on 3 and 4, then anyone patching out would have to pick one or the other.  The only other choices are either the two mics mixed together in the left channel, and the two board inputs mixed together in the right channel, or a mix of all four channels in both the left and right outputs, neither being a good choice IMHO.  In other words, you can't matrix the output on the fly at the show, and turn the four channels into two discrete left and right channels.  Would have been a nice option, but, oh well.

Offline funkoff13

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 02:52:36 PM »
thanks to all for the information.  One thing we didn't address (sorry if I missed it) is the resampling of the AES/EBU signal.  Is this a true digi bit for bit input?

billee

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 03:35:15 PM »
thanks to all for the information.  One thing we didn't address (sorry if I missed it) is the resampling of the AES/EBU signal.  Is this a true digi bit for bit input?

billee

Yes, at whatever sample rate is being input.

Offline funkoff13

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 03:54:30 PM »
thanks!

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 06:08:49 PM »
Your question made call Edirol again, because I wanted to know what controlled the sample rate when you had a digital input and were also recording analog at the same time.  Answer:  You need to find out the bit and sample rate you are being sent, and set the R-4 Pro to match, which will then be the same sample rate for the analog channels you are recording.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.125 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com