Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices 702 help  (Read 4403 times)

Offline stober

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Sound Devices 702 help
« on: February 04, 2007, 05:26:34 PM »
Ok I have some issues with my 702.The few shows that I've done 24/48 I get subfolders.The last show i taped before last night I should have had only one wave file.T01.wave.But was its doing is track one will get split up in subfolders.Instead my track will be T01.wave +T01A.wave ,T01Bwave,T01Cwave.Three subolders for one wave file.I have the SD set to a 4 gig limit before it splits so I confused.Plus these are new files like starting a T02.They even split at different times.The original track would be maybe 30min then the A subfolder would be 15 min then the next 20 min.It was making no sense to me why the track was getting split up.In the past I just had to piece them togethor in wavelab and its was no problem.I figured I would find out why it was doing that later.But last night was a different story.The first set of moe was track1 no problem.It didnt cut it up into subfolders like track1A,track1b etc.So the second set I hit record and it was track2.But after about 10 seconds in it started a track3.Then after the show before I hit stop I noticed it was on track3A.Well today after uploading all the tracks to my computer track1,track2,track3 and track3A I noticed after listing to track2 it started a new file after i heard a dropout .So after that dropout it started track3.I know from the presets it will start a new file if a media error occurs so I'm guessing  the dropout did that.But then I listen to track 3 and I noticed it split during the last song of the encore towards the end of the song.So I copied and pasted track3A to the end of track3 because it's usually seamless when it starts a new subfolder but it didnt.There's music missing!The end of track 3 is in the last part of faker(moe song) and the begining  of track3A is the crowd after the end of Faker.So there's definitely some audio missing.In the past those subfloders were seamless but not this time.What the f is going on?Anyone?Could it be my  4 kingston cf card? It's only done these subfolders when I've done 24 bit.I never seen them when I've done 16 bit.And why are these subfolders being created ?I cant even find anything about them in my manual.Oh and to top it off I turned on my 702 to try and upload them again to see if maybe those tracks didnt upload properly and track3A is gone.No where to be found on my flash card.I didnt erase for sure.Luckily I have it on my computer all ready but wtf,where did it go? And I have a few pops like diginoise as well.I thought it was maybe just the balloons poping nearby but  I hear it in my first set which there were no balloons.Damn its been a frustrating morning.

edit I also always erase and reformat my cf card before each show.I even did the cf repair before the show incase that was why I was getting these subfolders.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 12:05:46 PM by stober »

Offline stober

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Sound Devices 702 help
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 11:18:46 AM »
My last smooth recording was 16 bit.The last two shows I've done 24 bit and I get the subfolders.The thing that freaks me out was the lost audio in my last show.Track3 and track 3a are not seamless.There's missing audio.I've never seen these subfolders when doing dat transfers or when recording in 16bit.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 11:27:37 AM by stober »

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 11:38:14 AM »
What version of the firmware are you running?  Ultimately you're going to need to contact SD support.

FWIW, I wouldn't generally trust windows with my original masters or for copying my original masters off but I know many folks do..  I'm just saying windows is very unforgiving and it likes to write to drives without asking. When I mount my 722 under linux, the mount is Read Only.

Offline stober

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 11:53:34 AM »
I'm running 2.03.Windows is all have for my home desktop and my laptop.I always format the cf with the 702.I dont format it in windows with the 702 hooked up to my computer.

Offline stober

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 01:11:05 PM »
Well I just got off the phone with the SD tech support and they think with the info I've given them that my cf card is the problem.Since I never get the subfolders with 16/44 and I'm getting them with 24/48 its probually a speed issue.He said I should try a Sandisk card instead of my kingston elite pro.They said I should be getting a speed error message when it starts the subfolder.But I'm never looking at the 702 when it happends.

Offline jhirte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 02:24:12 PM »
I ran my Kingston Elite Pro 45x card in mine at 24/48 w/o issues.. <shrug>

Keep us posted !

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 06:28:33 PM »
i think Ian Stone had some similar issues with either files or folders getting a letter suffix after upgrading to 2.03 and V2.0hardware - although not sure of details whether he actually lost music or what. i sent him a PM to see if he can chime in

i remember seeing an A and possibly a B after a few of my files at some point but it was long ago and i believe it was files started before the show started where i hit either record or >> to start a new track, i'll have to look and see if I can find them now
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 06:30:15 PM by terrapinj »
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline stober

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 11:07:18 PM »
i think Ian Stone had some similar issues with either files or folders getting a letter suffix after upgrading to 2.03 and V2.0hardware - although not sure of details whether he actually lost music or what. i sent him a PM to see if he can chime in

i remember seeing an A and possibly a B after a few of my files at some point but it was long ago and i believe it was files started before the show started where i hit either record or >> to start a new track, i'll have to look and see if I can find them now
That would be cool if he had some info on this.The lost audio is brutal.I had another 4g kingston elite pro thats brand new so tonight I recorded audio from my stereo for a test.I recorded two files of 24/48 >The first one was an hour and twenty and the second I let it roll over 2 hours.No subfolders .I have just a track1 and a track2. :)When I put in the new cf card it didnt promp me to format it though.So tomorrow I will do it again but will I will format it with the 702 first so I know the 702 is formatting properly.I did read something in the manual that could have cause my cf card to fail.I was not properly dismounting my 702 from the firewire.I was just disconnecting the firewire cable after uploading the media to my computer.I didnt realize with Windows you have to right-click the drive icon and select "eject" then you can disconnect the firewire cable from the 702.In the manual it states that possible corruption of cf medium if you dont.

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 03:01:35 AM »
it has something to do with a hard drive skip and it sucks. you gotta do your best to piece together what you have and go from there. i don't think there's anything you can do to recover that data

i've had this issue a couple of times - once or twice with the factory setting from when purchased in 8/05 i think like version 1.74 firmware... it just got upgraded and i had that same issue, creating the A files, etc. on the jam cruise.
in the past, i did actually lose music... it happend from what i can remember, when the hard drive was close to being full. but this time around when it happend on the jam cruise, it did create those files on one of the shows i taped - but i had no problems at all stitching the file (s) together (actually the A track was an empty file or vise versa, i can check into it more for specifics) and the music just continued from  there.

Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 03:59:37 AM »
Some points:

- you talk about subfolders. Makes me confused, are you actually talking about new files? Folders in my world is where you store several files (example: you can setup the 702 to create a folder every day). Not picking, just confused.
- the 702 can be setup to create a new file when an error is encountered (or to stop). I think your SD card is faulty or too slow, the 702 then gets a write error and faithfully immediately creates a new file. Best solution is to remove the problem creating the error, in my world most suspicious unit is the memory card.
- me thinks you have a bad SD card. There are some ways to test it on the 702, format first. Then run the speed test. Then setup the 702 to stop on error and simply start recording silence. If it runs to completion (full card) it is probably OK. To save time and increase confidence run at 96/24 for the test, or maybe even 192/24 getting a healthy margin for too slow card. It should run without fault at 192/24.
- immediately get a firewire cable that does not transfer power! I made mine from a 6pin/4 pin converter together with the right cable. Reason is that the firewire contact is a flawed design (not Sound Devices fault, it is the standard that was wrong from the beginning), you can push it in upside down with a bit of force. This may hurt your unit, and a 702 is too expensive to risk. Good idea for all units that does not draw firewire power (obviously there the power pins are needed).

Gunnar

Offline stober

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 11:42:40 AM »
Some points:

- you talk about subfolders. Makes me confused, are you actually talking about new files? Folders in my world is where you store several files (example: you can setup the 702 to create a folder every day). Not picking, just confused.
- the 702 can be setup to create a new file when an error is encountered (or to stop). I think your SD card is faulty or too slow, the 702 then gets a write error and faithfully immediately creates a new file. Best solution is to remove the problem creating the error, in my world most suspicious unit is the memory card.
- me thinks you have a bad SD card. There are some ways to test it on the 702, format first. Then run the speed test. Then setup the 702 to stop on error and simply start recording silence. If it runs to completion (full card) it is probably OK. To save time and increase confidence run at 96/24 for the test, or maybe even 192/24 getting a healthy margin for too slow card. It should run without fault at 192/24.
- immediately get a firewire cable that does not transfer power! I made mine from a 6pin/4 pin converter together with the right cable. Reason is that the firewire contact is a flawed design (not Sound Devices fault, it is the standard that was wrong from the beginning), you can push it in upside down with a bit of force. This may hurt your unit, and a 702 is too expensive to risk. Good idea for all units that does not draw firewire power (obviously there the power pins are needed).

Gunnar
I wasent sure what to call them.I've had tracks start out as track1 but then because of a media issue it starts a track2.I didnt know what to call them when they start as track1 then start a new file called track1a then track1b.I was calling them subfolders but yes they are new files.I will trt 24/96 tonight and see if I have speed issues.When I do a speed test with my cf card in the 702 what number is good speed number?

Offline stober

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 11:50:01 AM »
it has something to do with a hard drive skip and it sucks. you gotta do your best to piece together what you have and go from there. i don't think there's anything you can do to recover that data

i've had this issue a couple of times - once or twice with the factory setting from when purchased in 8/05 i think like version 1.74 firmware... it just got upgraded and i had that same issue, creating the A files, etc. on the jam cruise.
in the past, i did actually lose music... it happend from what i can remember, when the hard drive was close to being full. but this time around when it happend on the jam cruise, it did create those files on one of the shows i taped - but i had no problems at all stitching the file (s) together (actually the A track was an empty file or vise versa, i can check into it more for specifics) and the music just continued from  there.

Well I have no hard drive(702).In the past I could stitch them togethor and it was seamless.But this particular time some audio was missing in between my track3 and track3a.

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 03:48:22 PM »
When I do a speed test with my cf card in the 702 what number is good speed number?

Not a clue really. The hard disk in my 722 gives the number 7209. My UltraII CF card SanDisk, 1GB gives 3233. I know there are no problems with the hard disk, not used the card though so I cannot say what numbers are good or bad.

Gunnar

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 12:17:56 AM »
this is weird, WTF ??? I had soem similar problems with this and lost audio ONCE at moedown this past labor day weeekend, so i attributed it to a HDD error and bought an 8GB CF Card right after that, but on the error handler on it, t was set by default on 'start a new recording' so the first half of my moe set with page was trashed and i got the whole second half, WEIRD

and i also get the 1a, 1b 2 3a 3b, weird shit like that, music is all there or so it seems tho, it just does it and ive noticed it when i did my last battery runtime tests before big trips and i noticed it soemtiems made those damn 1a and blah blah blah tracks. i think it makes an a or b if you hit record and start a new track manually as well. so maybe we are just barely touching the record button EVEN WHEN ALL BUTTONS ARE LOCKED, RECORD IS STILL ACTIVE so maybe were doing it when we randomly level check and are barely touching the record button?
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline stober

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 01:00:43 AM »
this is weird, WTF ??? I had soem similar problems with this and lost audio ONCE at moedown this past labor day weeekend, so i attributed it to a HDD error and bought an 8GB CF Card right after that, but on the error handler on it, t was set by default on 'start a new recording' so the first half of my moe set with page was trashed and i got the whole second half, WEIRD

and i also get the 1a, 1b 2 3a 3b, weird shit like that, music is all there or so it seems tho, it just does it and ive noticed it when i did my last battery runtime tests before big trips and i noticed it soemtiems made those damn 1a and blah blah blah tracks. i think it makes an a or b if you hit record and start a new track manually as well. so maybe we are just barely touching the record button EVEN WHEN ALL BUTTONS ARE LOCKED, RECORD IS STILL ACTIVE so maybe were doing it when we randomly level check and are barely touching the record button?
That's very weird that you and Ian have had these issues as well.Glad there not very frequent.I wonder how many other 7xx owners have had these things happen.I know mine starts a new file when you hit record but its never been a 1a,1b,etc.Its always gone from track1 to track2 etc.These 1a,1b seem to be random.They just happen on their own.In my manual(firmware1.67) it states that the only time a file would be labeled 1a,1b etc would be if I have a file allready named track1 in a folder and I later start another file names track1 it will add the a behind it so no two files are named the same.But thats not what's happening to me at all. :-\

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com