Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: why does my 2 gig flash drive not even take 1 gig of data?  (Read 2185 times)

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
why does my 2 gig flash drive not even take 1 gig of data?
« on: June 25, 2007, 07:50:25 PM »
I got my first flash drive USB thingy. My new car stereo has SD and USB inputs. I know a hard drive off the shelf that states it is 50 gigs will only take 48gigs or whatever. I cannot believe that this thing can be called a 2 gig drive when it wont take over 1 gig onto it. WTF is up with that?
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: why does my 2 gig flash drive not even take 1 gig of data?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 07:54:41 PM »
I've heard of people buying CF cards from places like eBay that say 2GB but it's really a 1GB card with a 2GB sticker.

Where did you get your card?
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 08:02:24 PM »
It was onsale at Best Buy for $20. It's a Sandisk. It tells me there is another gig available but then cannot fit more data. Tells me there is no room when I try.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 09:56:32 AM »
I don't know why it wouldn't the first time but it allowed me last night. Maybe there is some sort of file amount limit. I was trying to put a ton of small mp3 (podcasts) on it and it wouldn't let me fill it. Maybe it can't handle more than 200 files or something like that.

Offline libfab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 03:14:01 PM »
It may not be a rip-off. Flash cards often have to be reformatted. My first 4gb Transcend once refused to take on more than 2gb, then everything was back to normal after I used the Transcend reformatting tool. It's not clear to me in your message if your drive has a flash card slot or if its flash memory is internal. In the first case you'll be able to fix the bug easily like I did. Otherwise just try reformatting from a computer's USB port. Hope this helps.

Offline grayp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If I was a cactus I wouldn't need so much water
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 09:21:51 AM »
I don't know why it wouldn't the first time but it allowed me last night. Maybe there is some sort of file amount limit. I was trying to put a ton of small mp3 (podcasts) on it and it wouldn't let me fill it. Maybe it can't handle more than 200 files or something like that.

i have not looked at it in a long time, but i remember a while back that under windows there was a limit on the # of files that could reside in the root directory of a specific drive.
Akg 480/ck61/ck62/ck63 (a61 swivels if fob)->m148->722

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 05:34:42 AM »
Sometimes, windows will create a 'temporary' recycle bin on removable media.  This holds deleted items from only that media.  Turn on view hidden and system files to see if it is there.  Or try a format which will get rid of it until you delete again.  This happens all the time with my USB sticks.

(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline joekar

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 05:47:57 AM »
I use my cf cards for moving data between computers frequently...I've found that if I just delete the data on the card without emptying  the waste basket the card will stash the files until I do, preventing me from filling the card to it's true capacity...My 2 cents..Hope it helps..

Peace,
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com