Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 1 rode nt4, vs two c1000s, which to choose ?  (Read 2888 times)

Offline Erlend

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
1 rode nt4, vs two c1000s, which to choose ?
« on: September 15, 2007, 08:13:24 AM »
I`m looking for a good mic for my jb3 + denecke ad20 with an optic cable.

So my choice stands between buying one rode NT4 and two c1000s. I think i`ll choose the NT4, since it seems to be the most practical choice.

But how good is it for recording voice and piano? Im a classical singer, and it will be used for concerts and lessons. And do you know if there exists a table stand for the NT4 ?

also, i am looking for a bag to keep the equipment in. do you have any suggestions ? the dream would be if i could keep most of the equipment connected and ready to use IN the bag.. !

Thanks for all Help!

Erlend Hermansen, östervåla Sweden

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
Re: 1 rode nt4, vs two c1000s, which to choose ?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 10:54:40 PM »
My friend (wheresjerry) has an NT4, and it pulls some pretty good tapes... but there are all ambient concert recordings, not close-micing.  So it's a good mic an general, but I'm not sure about your particular application.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Re: 1 rode nt4, vs two c1000s, which to choose ?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 01:44:47 AM »
My friend (wheresjerry) has an NT4, and it pulls some pretty good tapes... but there are all ambient concert recordings, not close-micing.  So it's a good mic an general, but I'm not sure about your particular application.

The NT-4 is arguably better for close micing than distant stuff.

Here are the catches...

Con: The fixed 90 degree coincident pattern can be a limiting factor on occasion,

Pro: The convenience of the fixed pattern in one mic makes it quick to set up.

Con: It's heavy and you can have trouble finding suspensions etc to hold it firmly. I have the official Rode C3 mount with the rubber-bands and it droops a bit in that.

Pro: It's built like a tank

Pro: It's excellent for close micing acoustic instruments including guitars, piano, ensembles (near micing? :) and foley etc...I also use the NT-4 occasionally on ambient/nature work as it is quiet.

Con: I find the stereo imaging a little narrow at times (Y config is better for that), depends on what you are recording.

Pro: Has internal 9V battery that lasts for ages...no need for 48V phantom...although you can run it on that too if you have it and get some more
headroom.

Neutral: I have a Sound Devices MixPre and they are a match made in heaven.

Alternative: You have the option of a pair of NT5s, same capsules, in single pencil bodies.

Summary: If you can't get a good recording out of an NT4 then you should give up. A stereo pair offers more flexibility :)

Here's an idea: Buy a pair of Behringer C2 stereo mics ($80), some with stereo-bar, mounts etc...totally amazing kit for the money. Then you can experiment with a stereo pair on the cheap and decide if you want to upgrade. I have a pair of these for dangerous assignments...like putting in plastic bags and dangling them into the sea...etc. I think everyone should have a pair in their cabinet :P

NT4 Demos...

Close mic steel acoustic...

http://www.rodemic.com/?pagename=Media_Portal&primary_category=Artist%20Video&secondary_category=NT4&product_name=Acoustic_Guitar&filename=Portal-Video/Artist%20Video%20HIGH/NT4-Acoustic.wmv

Close mic vocals + guitar + others...creative use of the 90 degree config for the lead vocalsit :)

http://www.rodemic.com/?pagename=Media_Portal&primary_category=Artist%20Video&secondary_category=NT4&product_name=3-Piece&filename=Portal-Video/Artist%20Video%20HIGH/NT4-3PieceA.wmv

Distant mic piano + vocals...probably useful as a reverberant mix.

http://www.rodemic.com/?pagename=Media_Portal&primary_category=Artist%20Video&secondary_category=NT4&product_name=Classical_Vocals&filename=Portal-Video/Artist%20Video%20HIGH/NT4-Classical.wmv

digifish
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 01:54:55 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com